Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Is this an overplay for AQ?

Red Posts: 13Subscriber
edited April 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
5/5 1k cap. Effective stack 2.1k

V1 is a middle age Asian lady that are known to push with her draws and can't lay down top pair. She will overplay her hands and rarely folds to a 3bet preflop. She don't value bet light and don't know how to get max value with her big hands but she do have the balls to make bluffs.

V2 is a 5/10 reg that I have played 5/5 with a few times. He likes to call big preflop with speculating hands. His 3bet frequency is pretty high especially with AQ-TT+

Hero's image is neutral lost a few big pots to v1 earlier. But has since doubled up through v1 and is now playing pretty TAG.

Preflp two limpers v1 (7k) raises to 35 on CO v2 (2.7k) on btn call. I call with AcQh (2.1k) in bb and one limper call. Flop Ah9s5s check to v1 she bet 105 v1 call I CR to 410 v1 fold v2 calls. Turn 2h I bet 575 he call. River Kh I move all in for a little over 1.1k

Here's my thought process. On the flop I put V1 on top pair or air and she will call my raise with top pair and will likely 3bet with AK plus. I put v2 on a draw so I raised. Turn I still think v2 is on a draw and bet slightly small to get call and still be able check fold if a spade comes on the river. After he call, I now think he might have AJ or AT in his range too. On the river I don't think I can check fold because the spade didn't come in and I don't think he'll bluff so I went all in to look like I busted spades and hope he'll hero call me.

Comments on all streets will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
    Does V1 raise looser in LP? If so I am now squeezing fairly big with AQ for value.. Many of more profitable cbet bluffs are when I am oop and squeeze with a good ace and cbet and players fold when I bet 1/2 pot for over 100.. If she is sticky ie. she just doesnt like to fold then I can go either way.

Hate your c/r on the flop. You know she is capable of pushing her draws and I think you get alot of worse aces to fold and if true to your description she might ship with a flush draw. In general when a player overcalls a big bet or cr like what you did on flop I think he has a ton of flush draws in his range..

On the turn I think your bet is fine.. charging the player with the draw.

On the river I am going to bet smaller.. if he has a flush draw it missed so I am not sure what worse hand is going to call that big a bet.. Based on your description of villain I doubt he has a better ace but then what is he calling with? A gutshot? nah I doubt it..

ww
  • electricsheep Posts: 169Subscriber
    edited April 2014
    How often does V2 call $410 to win $610 OTF with a flush draw? You said he likes to call pre with speculative hands but this is an entirely different scenario. When you move in OTR, his calling range will often crush the range that you think you are betting for value.

• Red Posts: 13Subscriber
    Thx for for comment Wendy.

Yes, she is pretty sticky. Earlier in the session.1) I have AK on the sb. straddle she open 50 on CO I 3bet to 150 she call flop TJ4 I have to bet fold. 2) 3 limpers she over limp on the CO I raise to 60 in the bb with AKdd she back raise me to 220 and call my 4bet all in for another 370 with 75o She flopped open ended and turned a straight 3) very next hand I reloaded for 1k. I'm on btn straddle EP open 35 she call I 3bet to 170 she call hu. Flop Ac5cKd she check call 250. Turn Qd she check call all in 580 with a weak Ace.

This lady is crazy!

I just don't think she's capable of bet 3bet with a draw or weaker Ace but I was prepared to bet fold if she did. I just didn't want to let the btn to draw for cheap and knew she'll definately call with a decent ace.
    electricsheep said:
    How often does V2 call $410 to win $610 OTF with a flush draw? You said he likes to call pre with speculative hands but this is an entirely different scenario. When you move in OTR, his calling range will often crush the range that you think you are betting for value.

I've seen v2 call big flop and turn raises on draw to bust people.

I was going to bet 600 on the river but thought it would look too much like a please call me bet and since I can't fold the river once I bet I thought the all in would be better.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    If that's the dynamic, then I actually like your check-raise, since they can both call you with worse.

On the river, I think it's hard for him to have flopped a set...he played it as absolutely slow as he could if he does. If he didn't flop a set, assuming he wouldn't flat on the button with AK, you have the best hand at the river. There's no harm in putting in a value bet in that case. I like the ship versus a smaller bet because it looks bluffier.
    Tyrith said:
    If that's the dynamic, then I actually like your check-raise, since they can both call you with worse.

On the river, I think it's hard for him to have flopped a set...he played it as absolutely slow as he could if he does. If he didn't flop a set, assuming he wouldn't flat on the button with AK, you have the best hand at the river. There's no harm in putting in a value bet in that case. I like the ship versus a smaller bet because it looks bluffier.
    Thank you Tyrith! I thought I was the only one that think this way.

Knowing how loose v1 is I just can't imagine v2 not raising the flop for value with AK+ With two player behind.

• electricsheep Posts: 169Subscriber
    edited April 2014
    Sorry I misread the positions and didn't realize v2 flatted v1's cbet OTF before you raised.

I don't think he will ever bluff you either even if you bet $600 on the river. Without knowing his tendency to make hero calls and bluff catch on the river, I would bet around $700 instead of shoving because the risk of folding his weaker aces outweigh the extra +$400 we make on the times that he hero calls.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    Well, part of it is that I don't think the villain description conveys just how spewy and loose V1 is. When I first read the post, I agreed with Wendy; the check-raise seems like a massive overplay. But if V1 is going to call the C/R with AT or random suited aces, then the C/R is correct, and if she flats our C/R we should treat AQ like it's the nuts.
    by 1Red
    Result of hand.

V2 tanked for about 5 minutes and say ok if you have it you have it and calls. He has Kx of spade. V1 say she folded A2 and that she would've called my flop raise if v2 wasn't behind her. The sick part of this hand is, had v1 called v2 would definitely call and I would have to bet about 800 on the turn which I don't think I'm capable of folding to a raise. I would've lost over 400bb with a one pair hand. Maybe I am over playing AQ in this spot.
  • fishcake Posts: 962Subscriber
    Easy 3bet pre for value. I think you overplayed your hand a lot even against this villain.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
    I do think to some degree this is a little results oriented. Your cr got her to fold a weaker ace. Yes she hit two pair but you are not stacking off if you didnt build a pot on the flop.

With her drawing to three outs and the fact she folded means your cr isnt as profitable as just leading or cc

Think about how the hand would have gone had you not cr and see some scenarios w these two hands and count how much you win in each. I think you will see in the long run cr and getting a fold from another ace is really bad

Ww