Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Misplayed hand, 1/2 game with a large reraise..

floater Posts: 68Subscriber
edited April 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I’m at a 1/2 table on the button

V1, in the small blind is a very poor player, asian woman, late 30s, sweet, but who has quickly demonstrated she knows nothing about poker (I already got her first stack, when she pushed all in on a 9, 9, 9, 2 board with A2, explaining to me she had the Ace kicker), etc..
She has about 150

V2 is a TAG, willing to call large bets, but has made lay downs when reraised.
He has $900. He’s in late position.

V2 raises to 15 preflop,

Hero has been very active.
Raising hands frequently and reraising bets when in position
Hero calls with QhJh, has $450

V1 calls and one other caller

Flop is Qx, 10h, 9h

V1 checks
V2 bets 20
Hero calls
V1 pushes all in for 130.
V2 bets
Hero?

Now I don’t want to give too much away, but I misread my hand…
I wrote above what I thought I had, which I did not have.
I had QJ and it was suited, but it QdJd.

Thoughts on how to play these different hands?
One other thing, what hand range should V2 put me on when I just call his bet, before V1’s reraise?

thanks,
floater

Comments

• floater Posts: 68Subscriber
    sorry, V2 called the 130.
    It's then to me, on the button
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,842Subscriber
    dude i dont have my phone with me right now so i cant do the equity and what not but ur looking like ur against sets and str8s and minimum 2 pairs.

I wouldnt even call the old asian lady's bet tbh.
  • electricsheep Posts: 169Subscriber
    edited April 2014
    You should just call flop. You are calling 110 to win 345 and will still have about 30% equity against sets, 2 pairs and the discounted KJ that v1 pushes with.

I doubt V2 will have a straight and you have very good implied odds against him. He is not likely to put out another bet on the turn or river so you will see a lot of free cards. One of the reason why this is a profitable call is because if you improve, I really doubt V2 will fold often after putting that much money in the pot.

One other thing, what hand range should V2 put me on when I just call his bet, before V1’s reraise?
    I'm not sure this matters that much, but probably any Q or more commonly Jx or a draw. The thing is most people at this level just play off their hand and you kinda risk out leveling yourself when you 3rd level.
    I'm asking what range he is putting me on bc I flatted his flop bet for 20 then V1 reraises to 130 and he calls it. I'm putting him on a strong Q. If I push will be lay down KQ or AQ, since I did not reraise him. I think it makes my hand look like a complete draw, just a J and he will call.

I'm asking bc I don't think V1 has anything and V2 has a strong Q.

Next post I'll say what I did, hoping for a little more inuput.
    edited April 2014
    I really don't think V1 has air here. Your description of her tells me that she has at least an idea of absolute hand strength so I don't think she is going to c/r with air (or a semi bluff for that matter) against 2 players after a cbet has been called by a field caller.

V2 will likely not fold to a re-raise because your hand does look like a draw and (MORE IMPORTANTLY) most guys at this level are simply not going to call a $130 all-in just to fold to a re-raise.

At any rate, raising here is the worst play because:
    1. You don't have fold equity
    2. Your hand is beat most of the time (I have you at 30% equity against sets, 2 pairs)
    3. There is no side pot

Calling is better because V2 is offering you implied odds! You are not risking extra money unless you hit your 8 outs and he is very unlikely to fold. Calling gives you a better risk vs reward ratio in the end.

edited April 2014
    I also want to add that after V1 raises all in and V2 calls, the focus should be trying to get more money from his $900 deep stack and not trying to make him fold given your specific hand.
  • Defacist Posts: 131Member
    edited April 2014
    With the hand you thought you had, QhJh, I would probably just call. I have a feeling you're going to tell us you shoved. If your reads are spot on and you don't think V2 will fold, you're getting it in good (QhJh is the favorite here against AQ or KQ for V2, along with anytwo for V1). But we'd probably be putting V2 on too narrow of a range to assume he always has just a big Q here, and even if V1 is a drooler, I don't think we can assume she's always making that big raise with air. My instinct is to just call here, but I'm not the one sitting there playing against these people, so maybe you made some stellar reads and the shove was correct. But for me it's a call.

Edit: I misread the OP's description of the hand he actually did have and thought it was a gutshot+pair and said fold. But he's actually open-ended with top pair. So, even without the hearts, I would probably call here. Oops!
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,842Subscriber
    If V2 is as good as we are assuming why is he flatting his medium value hands here and not making the price bigger for OP? Seems like Vil will flat the top of his range here but this is all assuming he's good enough in this spot.
    Nothing wrong with passive play here IMO because V2 can't really exploit it.

If I was getting almost 3.5:1 with an 8 out draw against a deep villain (who probably cant fold to 1/2 pot value bets on later streets), then this is going to be a very very easy overcall for me.
    thank you!
    feedback is really helpful.

I did read V1 as not competent (in fact, she pushed all in with K9, bottom pair hoping to grab a 10 for the straight).

I did push and V2 folded, saying I had 2 pair or the straight.
    Even though this worked and I won a nice pot, it was the incorrect play.
    V2 said he had a 'big Q' but did not specify. I don't think he thought through the play clearly enuf, bc my play was pretty close to a spew!

With QdJd, and not the heart draw I thought I had, my equity was even smaller.
    Live and learn.
    thanks, guys.
  • Defacist Posts: 131Member
    electricsheep said:
    Nothing wrong with passive play here IMO because V2 can't really exploit it.

If I was getting almost 3.5:1 with an 8 out draw against a deep villain (who probably cant fold to 1/2 pot value bets on later streets), then this is going to be a very very easy overcall for me.
    Lol, I read your post and kept saying "where is he getting 8 outs from?" and realized I misread the OP's post and thought it was a gutshot. So yeah, he's in pretty decent shape even without the hearts. And can we add maybe one theoretical out for the two Queens as well? (Not that it makes a huge difference.) So now I totally understand your thinking with the overcall.