I'm thinking about playing in the LAPC tournament on 2/12 that is a mixed format of half PLO/half PLO-8 or better. There are also a couple of others before that day that are straight 8 or better (i think one is pot limit and one is no limit).
Since I don't have a lot of experience with the pot limit variety of omaha 8 or better (moreso with fixed limit), I wanted to pick your brains about strategy. Here is a starting point of my initial thoughts about the game:
- Play hands that can scoop high and low.
- Don't call it off with a low draw (without a made high hand).
- Draw to the nuts for at least 1/2 the pot (especially in a 9 handed game).
- Make a low and freeroll to a high hand.
- Play a small pot with a high only hand until you crush the flop.
- Don't play middle run downs or middle pairs.
- Play a small pot until you either: cannot be counter-fitted on the low, or have a near nut high hand.
- Don't raise a bettor with only a one-way hand (especially the nut low or nut straight) that can easily be duplicated for 1/4 of the pot.
Any other thoughts / considerations / advice / corrections / tournament tips to add here? Thanks. I figure I'll probably end up playing tight anyway during the 8 or better rounds.