Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

River Lead Thoughts

napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
edited May 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Sorta common situation... looking for theory opinions.

Heads up, oop against PFR.

You flop a middle-weak top pair.
Forget texture... that's not what this situation is about.

You check, she cbets, you call.

Turn brick, check check.

River brick. You feel really confident that you have the best hand. Are we leading for value even though we feel they're pretty weak?

Or do you usually check?

WHAT SAY YOU?

Comments

• Does she bluff river with air or bet 2nd pr for value?

If the answer is no then I bet for sure.
    If she's checking back all the hands you beat then bettings almost a freeroll.
  • Topset1610 Posts: 280Subscriber
    I would almost always bet here for value.

The only time I am checking is if they have shown they will bluff, but I think the best play is to bet.
  • napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
    Standard unknown villain. Sorry, meant to say that up front.

I agree entirely, even if they have air, they have probably one and done'd the flop. May as well give them a chance to call with a shit pair or hero you with whatever.

I think this is a super easy value bet fold. But I see SO many people still check here... wanted to hear if anyone agreed with that against a vanilla unknown.
  • electricsheep Posts: 169Subscriber
    Probably a standard bet fold
  • DrGambol Posts: 724Subscriber
    This depends on the opponent, stack sizes, position, board texture, how high is the top pair, and a hundred other factors.

For example, if there is a board where a lot of flush draws & straight draws that missed, you're more likely to get called light. If it is an A73r74, then it is hard to get called by 99 if we lead the river with A2, and we'd likely only get called by better Ax that pot controlled the turn. Also, even if the opponent is unknown, we might play differently against people who give off different vibes. I'd play different against a 50 year old white woman than I would against a young guy who looks like he just came from a club or a 40 year old white male in a business suit or a 25 year old in a hoody who is very comfortable handling chips.

And even if they're unknown, we might be able to pickup what type of player they are if they've opened pre yet, if they've limped yet, by bet sizing, etc. It doesn't take a large sample size to tell if they are tight or loose in a general sense.