Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Article 7: Using oversized chips

beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
edited May 2014 in Crush Live Poker Articles
I wonder if it's a good idea to use oversized chips to help rec. players count the pot more easily.
In our 1/2 games, we use $1, $5, $25 and $100-sized chips... and it seems that if the pot is full of $5 chips, rec players will call big bets more easily because the pot is so big (all the while, not truly knowing or understanding if they're getting the right pot odds).
A poker friend of mine once asked if rec players are more likely to call bluffs if you bet with $5 chips - or use bigger denomination... and I'm inclined to think that 3 stacks of $5 chips ($300) is a tougher call to make than just 3 $100 chips... although I'm still working on this theory. (Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.)
I don't ever think it's a good idea to make the rec. player's job easier to count the pot.
But that's just me.

Comments

• RizenRizen Posts: 58Subscriber
    I just asked the same question in the Limon'Topic Request thread. I've always wondered if betting with larger denomination chips gives an indication of hand strength or a tell.
    Bart always likes to bet with bigger chips because he WANTS the rec player to be able to count the pot easier. Since we will be betting for value most of the time we want them to call with worse and see how big the pot is getting
  • AbeLimonAbeLimon Posts: 860Member
    in plo its always better if the rec players dont know whats in the pot.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,954AdministratorLeadPro
    edited June 2014
    Abe--I assume because a lot of times you actually are betting for protection and would actually want them to fold? Not allowing them to properly realize their own equity as it relates to pot odds has to be a big advantage for the good vs the bad. This concept is almost non existent in Holdem.