Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Brag Posts...

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
let me be the first one to start a new thread on hands we think we played well. Then we all can bash them.. ha.... just kidding..

Along with the "how did I play this hand" threads.. we can list hands we played well based on what we have learned..

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I played this hand this week and I think its one of the best I have played in the last few weeks.. I raise pre with something like QJ in pos against a couple limpers. I have over 300 and the effective stacks are smaller .. one player has only a bit over 100.. three callers.. my raise was to 13 in 2/3 and now the pot has 52...

Flop comes small.. 8 2 5 with one heart. I have QJ hearts .. SB player now leads out in the field.. everyone folds an I call the 20 bet.. many times I think this is a pair under the 8 but the players think that since there are no high cards then it must have missed. me. I decide to float and see if I can take the pot away from him..

Turn is 10 spades.. he bets again.. this time 30.. the spade put a backdoor flush on board and I now have a gutshot and two overs. I call again..river

A spades.. he checks and since he only has about 75 left I move all in... he hims and haws and folds pocket 7s..

even though representing a backdoor flush isnt as good as if it was the front door draw.. the ace was too juicy a card to pass up on the bluff. I could easily have it given I was preflop raiser..

I had a couple of other hands like this in the last couple of weeks and with the better hand reading it allows me to makes plays like this that will work..
  • In general I would prefer to be raising the flop as a bluff in a spot like this unless you dont think guys are capable of folding 77 or an 8 right there. You could also mix it up by calling flop and raising turn if you pick up equity like a T. If it is was any heart I'd probably move in on turn.
    bart
    Bart said

In general I would prefer to be raising the flop as a bluff in a spot like this unless you dont think guys are capable of folding 77 or an 8 right there. You could also mix it up by calling flop and raising turn if you pick up equity like a T. If it is was any heart I'd probably move in on turn.
    bart
    Do you generally think a Ten is high enough to semi bluff in this spot? If it was any broadway card then I would say yes for sure.. I decided to call and rep the flush and any overs if he checked to me. got both.. lol..
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,146Subscriber
    Usually in this spot, I've been raising the flop donk bet, letting the blind player or limper find out the bad news - that his/her hand is no good.
    reedmylips said

Usually in this spot, I've been raising the flop donk bet, letting the blind player or limper find out the bad news - that his/her hand is no good.
    Since I have been playing the smaller game when I am on basically a complete float, I dont like raising on the flop because I see so many players just not fold. That said I DO raise the flop when I have some kind of draw ..when I have a big hand I will raise if he donk bet is tiny.. then I will just make the bet what I had planned on cbetting .

Even though I was very happy with the way I played it, always glad to get feedback to play it even better.

thanks guys!
    My first brag post - yay!

I won the biggest pot I've ever played before last night!

Playing $2/5 NL in a card club in Portland, OR. Usual soft game, nobody really playing back, most players are pretty fishy...I have around $1200, villain (who I find out later is backed tourney player and regular $5/10 and $10/20 cash game player at Bellagio, back home in OR for knee surgery) has me covered. Villain is obviously competent to me judging by his game, bet sizing, the way he handles himself, etc.

Limp, villain limps, I make it $25 on the button with black TT. Folds to villain who calls, pot is $62.

Flop comes K64, two spades. Villain checks, I bet $30, villain c/r to $75, I think about it and call. Pot is $212. I was thinking that I may have the best hand here, villain could have a draw, or just be c/r me as a bluff because he thinks I missed that flop.

Turn is Kc, back door clubs. Villain thinks and checks. I think for a few seconds and check behind.

River is Td. Villain thinks again and checks. I bet out small, $75, hoping to be called by a 6 (maybe A6 of spades, front door spades with a pair) or 77-99, or even A high if he thinks I'm bluffing with worse. Of course, if he has a K, I think he snap calls. Villain rather quickly bets $425!!! I was surprised for sure. I had to think for a minute. I almost just called his bet, thinking that there was no way he c/r river with less than kings full. However, what kings full could he have? He would raise flop, not limp call, with KT (plus very few combos), MAYBE with K6 suited (again, very few combos), but doubtful.

I kind of got in a fog at this point, thinking that there was little to no chance he had me beat. I grabbed my stack of black chips and said all-in. He snap-called. I turned over my tens full, his mouth opened in shock, and he showed sixes full. I scooped around a $2400 pot!!! SmileLaughSmile

Feel free to comment strategically if you want. Is the flop a bet/fold? Should I be raising more pre-flop? Should I have just called the river? Thanks!
  • Reed,

At this level I am usually folding the flop to a craise especially of my opponents have an accidental depolarized craising range of say KQ or AK. At the higher levels you wont see this. TT is the equivalant of AK.

I wouldnt give a free card on the turn if you called the flop. Why not bet fold? No one is going to dbl checkraise you as a bluff when trip Ks is strong part of your range here. No one is folding trip kings at this level.

River is pretty absurd. Really depends how loose the guy is pre. If he is playing say over 40% of his hands where he would limp call with K6 or K4 then the play is really close. 3 combos each of those suited hands along with 6 combos of full houses. And more often then not, I mean like 90% of the time after turn goes check check, he bets an under full on river. The fact that you said you got into fog at this point is definitely troubling. Were you thinking about his ranges and your pot odds on the river? I think you got caught up in your own absolute hand strength instead of your relative hand strength against your opponent's range. Let's say in theory I said he would never check raise call with an underfull, whats your play then?

Bart
    Congrats on the big pot! Maybe I should change the topic to "I think I am bragging but Bart will tear it up" lol.. Laugh

So ..I see so many players check when they have the nuts or perceived nuts because they think that you will bet and they can check raise and get your whole stack. This line of course we know to be very nutty and as good players we wont bite.. we might bet but we will fold to the check raise and villain/bozo wont get any more of our money..

I must say I am a bit surprised he took this line given you said he is a player who plays the 5/10 at bellagio. Really shows you that there are bad players at all levels. I would probably have folded the flop too. but since you called I do think the check on the turn is a nutty play and I would have him on at least a K and I would not put another penny in the pot.

When you hit the boat on the river and he checks again that is a very weird line.. I would definitely bet and I think your amount is fine. but when he check raises you now I would just call.. or maybe even fold if I my read was he had a monster..

So if this line is almost never a bluff what could he have.. 66,KK, AK, 4s., K6 and K4. I think thats pretty much it.. You lose only to KK, K6 and K4 so for the 300 more I guess I am calling.. but I dont think I would raise.. or if I was really deep could you min raise fold? Thats a question for Bart I think..

h
    Bart and Wendy, thank you so much for chiming in. I obviously still have a lot to learn. Cool I figured the hand would get torn to pieces, which is a good thing! Laugh Tell me if my analysis is close:

"At this level I am usually folding the flop to a craise especially of my opponents have an accidental depolarized craising range of say KQ or AK. At the higher levels you wont see this. TT is the equivalant of AK."

Bart, what exactly do you mean by "accidental depolarized c/r range?" I've never thought of this before. You don't think he can c/r my flop c-bet with worse than a K?

"I wouldnt give a free card on the turn if you called the flop. Why not bet fold? No one is going to dbl checkraise you as a bluff when trip Ks is strong part of your range here. No one is folding trip kings at this level."

On the turn K, when he checked, I just didn't think I had the guts to bet/fold, even though that's probably the best line, to get value from the draws.

"River is pretty absurd. Really depends how loose the guy is pre. If he is playing say over 40% of his hands where he would limp call with K6 or K4 then the play is really close. 3 combos each of those suited hands along with 6 combos of full houses. And more often then not, I mean like 90% of the time after turn goes check check, he bets an under full on river. The fact that you said you got into fog at this point is definitely troubling. Were you thinking about his ranges and your pot odds on the river? I think you got caught up in your own absolute hand strength instead of your relative hand strength against your opponent's range."

On the river, as for combos, he can only have 2 combos each of suited K4 and K6, not 3 each, as there are 2 kings on board, total of 4 combos. I think he limps with those hands pre-flop not too often, as I had seen him raising/iso-ing with hands like that (and worse) pre-flop other times. Let's say he limp/calls with 1 or 2 of those 4 suited K combos. He would rarely limp with KT, or KK, as I would think he most certainly raises with those hands pf. I think 44 and 66 are in his pf limp/calling range a lot (3 combos of each), as is K9 suited (let's give him 1 combo of that, the other K9s he raises pf). So, 2 combos that beat me (1 each of K4s and K6s), and 7 combos that I'm ahead of (6 combos of underfulls, 1 combo of K9s) - honestly, through the fog, I thought he was overvaluing a K (K9 I guess...?) although I didn't take the time to think it through all the way due to "LOL I hit my T, I'm all in!"

"Let's say in theory I said he would never check raise call with an underfull, whats your play then?"

My play is to just call I think.

Wendy, I was REALLY surprised he took the line he took as well! If I was in HIS seat, limp/calling 66, flopping middle set, I might c/r the flop as well. But when the turn comes another K, I'm definitely leading the turn, hoping villain has a K after I boat up, as I want to build a big pot with my nutty hand. If I did check turn, going for another c/r, when villain checks behind, I'm FOR SURE betting the river T for value, as I want to get looked up by a pocket pair (JJ, QQ, AA), or a K (AK, KQ, KJ).
  • garagamaster Posts: 38Member
    Hello everyone =)

Two weeks ago I scooped my largest pot ever. I was playing $5BTN game (it's a game where there are no small and blig blinds; the blind is single posted on the button). The villain in question is weak-loose guy who I've never seen before buying in for more than 50BBs but somehow he lost his first two 25BBs BI's and surprisingly rebought for R$1k. He isn't used to playing deeps stacked, so I figured he would make many mistakes post. He managed to leverage his stack to R$2.5k, and I had almost R$2.3k.

He straddles to R$10. 2 limps, I raise to R$55 with AQo. He is the only caller (he instantly calls) in the straddle. His range is really, really wide defending his straddle.

Flop (R$135) QJ5 rainbow.
    He checks, I bet $85, he snaps.
    Turn (R$305) comes another Q
    He checks again, I bet R$215, he snap raises to R$500.
    This is where things get interesting. I have the non-boat nuts. I am basically losing only to QJ and 55, cuz I don't think he ever shows up with Q5s there. Based on his action on the flop, when he instantly calls my c-bet, I almost never put him on QJ because the average live player isntinctively tends not to slowplay QJ on this board cuz he doesn't know how to proceed if another broadway comes on the turn. So the only hand I could really be afraid of is trip fives - only 3 combos. On his straddle, I expect him to call with any connected Queen - KQ, QT, Q9 and Q8s. So I figured out he would never be capable of folding trip queens here, and overshoved all-in.

I make it R$2k total, and he instantly calls with KQo. The river bricks and I scoop the R$4.5k pot

So sweeeet =)
  • Reed,

I don't think that he would check raise with worse than a K for value. Certainly not worse then TT for value. And most good players wouldnt check raise a K here unless it was AK. SO when I say an accidental depolarized craising range I mean he might be bad enough to craise KJ or K9 which means the flop is even more of a fold. Polarized meaning nut hands or air where your TT equals AK. Here your TT doesnt equal AK.

Bart
  • Phil Posts: 4Member
    2/5 NL

KdQh LP raise to 25 over 1 limper. Limper calls.

Flop (50) 5d7d3x.

He checks I cbet 30 he calls.

Turn (110) Jc Check check

River (110) 5x He leads 55. I call and win :D (he had 68 of clubs). I was afraid i would not beat a lot of the Ace high diamond draws or straights draws with a pair, but I think i'm good 1/4 times.
  • Phil said

2/5 NL

KdQh LP raise to 25 over 1 limper. Limper calls.

Flop (50) 5d7d3x.

He checks I cbet 30 he calls.

Turn (110) Jc Check check

River (110) 5x He leads 55. I call and win :D (he had 68 of clubs). I was afraid i would not beat a lot of the Ace high diamond draws or straights draws with a pair, but I think i'm good 1/4 times.
    I don't like this call. I generally do not bluff catch with hands where I can lose to a portion of my opponent's bluffs. Much different if you have AK but I think this guy also could have 5x a lot.

Bart
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Running at $65 hour over my last 200+ hours at 3/5. #notsustainable
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    the worst hand i've ever called a river bet with.........

hero raises pre in hijack to $20 with 9Thh in a 5/5nl game and gets 4 callers. pot is $100.
    flop is KJ4r. checks around.
    turn is 5. checks around.
    river pairs the J for a final board of KJ4-5-J. all check to villian on the button who bets $85. everyone else folds to hero (who was last to act after the river bet -- ie, there is nobody behind me with a live hand).

villian is an older asian gambler and will bluff when he smells weakness. obviously, there could be nothing weaker than 5 players checking the board down on all three streets. i figured his preflop range on the button is veerrrrry wide, and that he would have bet a pair or any draw at least by the turn after everyone had checked for the second time. i also thought he would have taken a showdown with ace high hands, as he has some show down value and has a hard time being called by worse. the one hand that he might bluff with that i can't beat was Q high.......

i called ("please don't show me Q high!"). he snap mucked face down, so i never knew what he had, but of course i had to show my siiiiick callll kenny!
    You play in LA? Thats the only place I know where the blinds are 5/5?

Wendy
    wendyweissman said

You play in LA? Thats the only place I know where the blinds are 5/5?

Wendy
    I do sometimes, yes (quite sleuthy of u as I posted yesterday about playing on latb a few weeks ago :) ). The hand I posted took place at oceans 11 in Oceanside though. And it is a pretty different game than the LA 5/5. Our game is $300-1500.
  • shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    Resurrecting this thread to post some brag hands from the same session that I posted about separately about the river decisions against the tight player. These summarize why I stayed at a table where I was getting playing back at frequently. Bart and all feel free to shred.

Was up quite a bit at $5/10 but card dead for a while and bleeding my stack away recently. Had villain covered who had about ~$1500, this player had ~$3000 not too long ago but pretty much calls any flop PF and is a station after the turn on most draws or pairs hit, and had more recently started raising me, eliciting folds.

I'm in middle position with Ad6d (best hand I've seen in a while) and I raise to $30. Villain calls on the button and the blinds call. Flop comes 9d2d2c. I c-bet $80, he raises to $230. Needing to call $150 to win $430, I have the requisite 25% equity I need, although mitigated by the already paired board. However, given recent dynamic, I raise to $800 as I think he has unlikely to hit any of this board and calling down at his effective stack size out of position means I'll have a difficult turn decision most of the time when I don't hit. I bet this amount because I think it's stack committing to him, seems value-ish, and at the same time I can still fold if he shoves (which means he likely has a 2 or 99). He thought for a while and folded -- this is when the other player says "the jig is up." What do you all think of bet sizing? As I sweated out his fold, I was wondering if I should have bet bigger to increase FE and just committed to a shove given the nut FD equity.

A while later, his stack has dwindled even further to ~$800. I am again in middle position with AJo and raise to $30. He calls on the button and everyone else folds. Flop comes 442 rainbow. I c-bet $50 and he calls (which is normal). Turn comes and inconsequential 8. I don't think he has anything and because of his loose style decide the highest value line would be to shift into call-down mode OOP and let him try to bet me off the hand (as he's been trying all night). This time he checks back quickly. River is a T. I check, and he bets $130 into a $175 pot. I call with AJ high and he almost mucked without showing, but finally shows A60 and I scoop the pot. Not as extreme as chili's T high call down, but pretty good for me and a couple other people at the table were astounded at my call and started murmuring, which added to the awesomeness.
    So the best hand I played this whole weekend was this hand. I was tweeting seeing a bunch of "hoodies" and "backpacks" as the local grinder kids and how having this I could peg them as better players. I am playing venetian 2-5 .. moved to main game and have a short stack of 250 that I have worked up to around 600 after making a couple of hands.

villain is a "hoodie" and is visibly frustrated about not getting much to play with or get paid off. I have a more than active image but winning as I have moved my stack up by almost 3x since sitting down at the table. I am in cutoff and raise to 15 with 9h9c.. "hoodie" calls me

flop comes 8 3 2 with two clubs..

he checks I bet 25.. he min raises me to 50. Again, wet board min raise.. I am thinking something like A8 98, 78,, etc.. turn is the J clubs.. He bets 60.. still a rather small bet.. I call. river is the 5 or 6 clubs I dont remember now he bets 125..

So I am thinking.. he is trying to rep the nut flush.. but his flop play was screaming A8 and the 8 was a club.. so that means A3 clubs .. wouldnt he want more fold equity by making a bigger raise? so if he really cant have the nut flush wouldnt my line look like the nut flush draw or at least could have the A of clubs in it? So if he cant have the nut flush but is trying to rep it means its a bluff. My 9 clubs should be good..

I call and he says "guess your flush is bigger than mine" and flips over the 3 clubs.. I think he might have had a set.. weird tho since he wasnt short so why the small raise on the flop?? Turns out this guy was pretty bad.. Called a lot of rivers that were clearly folds and loved to limp with hands like AQ and get other players to value own themselves.. not a "hoodie" at all but a wanna be..

Wendy
    Bart-
    Deep thought for your tweets?
    Low paired boards are some of the best on which to bluff catch the preflop raiser.

I won three hands in a session this weekend by bluff catching / bluffing with ace high. Ex: EP opens for $15 at 5/5nl ($1500 max), which is almost never a big hand. Flop comes 664. I c/c $25 with AJ. Turn is 8 putting up heart flush draw. I c/c $45. River pairs the 8 for a double paired board. I check and he quickly bets $115. I call. He shows T9hh. (..."easy call, Chili, board was double paired!"). River polarization did make this a somewhat easy call.

Ex: I limp/call a late position raise with AQo vs a smart loose experienced player (ie, wide range). c/c the T high flop (something like T64r). Turn is 3. I c/c again. River pairs the 4. I lead for 2/3 pot. He folded quickly. I thought I could get folds from pairs <T and AK , but I really thought of it more as a blocker bet to prevent him from bluffing me with K high or a worse Ace high.

Lesson: It's tough to make a pur in the holdem.