Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2-5 NL. AA on an all spade flop. Tough spot?

PokerSniperAA Posts: 10Member
edited June 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Sitting in the small blind with about 200 BBs or $1000. The villains stacks are around 850. A couple of limpers and I make it $35 out of the small blind with AA and the ace of spades. Big Blind calls and the early position limper calls. Both players are fairly tight, Nothing too crazy, and the Big Blind is also kinda weak tight.

Pot is 110. The flop comes J 5 3 all spades. I lead for 70, the weak tight Big Blind calls 70 and then the early position limp caller makes it 220.

Its 150 for me to call with AA and one spade. I call. Big Blind folds.

Pot is now 620. Turn is a blank 8. I check, he checks back. I am like o ok FREE CARD. River pairs the Jack. I check and he checks. I show AA, and he shows 9 7 of spades for the flopped flush.

My question to you is can I play this differently? Should I ever raise 3 bet flop (I am way overplaying hand)? Should I ever turn my hand into a bluff when the jack pairs on river (he could easily of flopped a set of 5s?

I like my flat on the flop because I am trying to tag along the big blind also. And if my math is right it costs me 150 to win 620 getting slightly over 4-1. I only have to be right around 20% of time. If I know opponent is checking back turn virtually all the time unless he has like k 10 of spades. Then I think I am printing money as I have like 33% equity for two streets.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Sean777 Posts: 356Subscriber
    edited June 2014
    I think you played it fine. For what it's worth, I'm folding if he bets the turn strong also. Pretty weak play by him checking that back. Also checking the river, wtf....that's some scared money right there. Petrified of being raised when he's not holding the absolute nuts. Even though it makes no sense at all for you to to ever have a boat here.
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    I think your line is fine.

On the flop, he has a lot more combos of flopped flushes than he does sets, especially if you take JJ out of his range. If he's weak-tight/scared to bet, or likes to slowplay, you can call here and try to see two cards. You definitely have implied odds against some portion of his range, in addition to your immediate odds.

Once the river pairs the board, I don't think he has anything that he's going to fold, so even though you have very little showdown value I think you're forced to check. I can't see him folding a flopped flush with a high enough frequency to make a bluff worthwhile.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    I think you played it fine too.. I agree with what everyone else is saying.. If you hit the spade on the river I like betting rather big.. he has a polarized calling range so you might as well get alot when he does call.

When all of this is said and done you STILL need to put villains on ranges.. and true to stereotype he limp called with a weak hand 97ss.. I have to give him cudos for raising the flop at least.. he could have easily gotten some more value out of you. thank god for bad players!

In hands like this I used to be mad that someone got so lucky to flop a flush on me. Now all I do is smile at how bad they are that they didnt get more from me given my holding..

ww :lol:
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    edited June 2014
    wp by you. lol @ villain's play.

PS. don't try to bluff someone off a flush.
  • maphacks Posts: 1,992Subscriber
    I like your line. If you make the flush on the river I would bet small though. I don't expect villain to have a high spade here with the line he took
  • fishcake Posts: 935Subscriber
    Hand is wp.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    do not 3bet flop, and get it in way behind. you played it fine.
    lots of players limp/call with suited hands. remember that when you get raised on the flop.