Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 NL Shove stack with only top pair!

PokerSniperAA Posts: 10Member
edited July 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
650 Effective Stacks, 2/5 NL. I am the small blind and I have A J off suit. I get 3 limpers and the button makes it 15. I make it 45 to his left. The big blind calls the 45, limpers fold and the 15 dollar raiser calls.

The big blind has been drinking heavily and is spewy especially preflop. The button was raising it up with mediocre hands several times.

Pot is 150 and the flop comes J 9 7 with two hearts. I lead for 115 and they both call. Pot is now 495. The turn is a blank 6 and I have 460 dollars left. I think for a little bit and end up deciding to shove all in 460 into 495 on turn.

The drunk big blind folds and the initial preflop raiser button is in agony and tanks (he has exactly 450 left). He is adding up the pot and is like i'm getting the odds to call. I then know he has a draw. Its 450 for him to call and win 955. HE is getting like 2.2-1. He only has to be right about 31% of time.

In the end the guy open folds Q 10 of hearts for an open ended straight with a flush draw. I can see by doing the math he has the equity to call and his queen is live also. I was glad I got him to fold.

What are your thoughts on the hand? If you are the button are you ever passing up this slight edge knowing you have the equity to call, or to rather get your money in at a better spot? Do you think I overplayed my AJ off suit hand? By the way I had the ace of hearts so that is one of his outs....

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I have a few basic questions:

1) was your threebet for value? ie had you seen the button make a small raise with a weak hand before?

2) If you are trying to play this type of hand oop I would prefer a bigger three bet pre.. to at least 60 from 15.. many players with villains type of hand would auto call the extra 30 bucks and now you have built a bigger pot playing oop.

3) what were you hoping to accomplish by the shove on the turn? Did your range analysis have villain on a draw? or were you hoping he was on a draw after you shipped? This is rather important since on that board there are two pair combos he can have (although you would think he would have raised those on the flop its not always the case with OMCs )

4) I am glad you are doing equity calculations but they should always be on his range NOT his actual hand.. next time dont tell us what he had until after we have a chance to give you our opinion on his range.. I would say on the flop he has a lot of pair and straight draws and flush draws.. So really KJ J9 QJ 9T 78 Axhh with the exception of say AK if you thought he would 4 bet that pre.. now put in this range and your hand and see if the equities are the same? I use poker cruncher because I can put in the exact range I feel villain has..

5) remember in a cash game we should be focusing on max value.. not always to protect our equity.. that said if this pot is pretty big for you and you are not comfortable folding the river to his ship if a scare card comes then by all means go ahead and ship.. But you must realize he is never calling with say KJ which you crush and the non suited pair plus flush draws you also dominate..

thanks for posting ..

ww
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    seems pretty standard hand to me!
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    Super standard.
  • RDF Posts: 183Member
    3b larger pre IMO.
  • DoubleAAron Posts: 112Subscriber
    I love live poker. How does the guy call a 3 bet in position with QT of hearts and not raise the flop?

It's pretty standard though. Good shove. Hopefully you realize what you are up against and check/fold a lot of bad turns. I might raise a little more PF if I'm looking to iso against a wide button range because I don't want to play multi-way with AJo OOP.

I still can't believe he doesn't raise the flop bet with his equity and all the money in the pot. You could have literally turned your cards over and shown him J9 or AA and it'd be profitable for him to shove. But I guess this is why we make money in poker.

As far as your question about the button passing up a slight edge here, I probably do the same. I've said it before but my general cash game philosophy is to look for spots where I've got a decent sized edge (like shoving this flop). Especially in Las Vegas during the Series, there are sooooo many better spots to be found than calling it all off with a long term tiny +ROI. Sure I'm passing up a little bit of profits but I'm also keeping variance down which keeps me sane and putting in more hours.
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Thehammah said:

2) If you are trying to play this type of hand oop I would prefer a bigger three bet pre.. to at least 60 from 15.. many players with villains type of hand would auto call the extra 30 bucks and now you have built a bigger pot playing oop.

I think building a pot with a superior hand is the best play. Also, by raising smaller we keep the option of bluffing post flop open. The more we raise the more we only get called by better hands and fold out hands that we crush like J9s

5) remember in a cash game we should be focusing on max value.. not always to protect our equity.. that said if this pot is pretty big for you and you are not comfortable folding the river to his ship if a scare card comes then by all means go ahead and ship.. But you must realize he is never calling with say KJ which you crush and the non suited pair plus flush draws you also dominate..

These are very good points that not a lot of people consider.

• LVH Posts: 171Member
    Skinnybrown said:

I think building a pot with a superior hand is the best play. Also, by raising smaller we keep the option of bluffing post flop open. The more we raise the more we only get called by better hands and fold out hands that we crush like J9s

Could be wrong, but to me AJ off is pretty much a semi-bluff w/blockers here out of position. I guess if we play completely brilliantly PF we want marginally worse to call. Or if we know the foe is ultra weak/passive or something (as seems to be the case). Also, rake+tip are at least 1 BB in any 2/5 game I know of. Nice to save those.

If we assume that raise to 60 = take it down a lot, I'd bet most of us would do better against most opponents holding hands like QhTh by going that route.