Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

A boring 2/5 hand

LVH Posts: 171Member
edited July 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I've only been there an hour. Villain is a white guy, late 30s. I saw him make an elaborate play in a big pot earlier which strongly indicated he was thinking about his opponents hands and what he was representing. I don't really know how good he is at it, but he thinks about those things and there's no real reason to think he's bad at it. Not a super LAG or anything, but not scared or nitty based on the hour I've seen. He has like $900. I have $400.

7 handed. He opens from 2 off the button. $20. SB (loose passive, old Asian) calls. I call with KsQs from BB.

Kh8C4h. I check. He pauses a while and bets $40. SB folds. I call.

Turn 8h. He takes like 45 secs and bets $95.

Hero?

Comments

• SKOOSKOO Posts: 160Subscriber
    I think leading out might be the better play on the flop. Your hand is basically face up now if you say he seems like a thinking player.

Also, you're a bit to shallow to play a hand like that out of the blinds then play a ck call line against a player like that.
    by 1LVH
  • DrGambol Posts: 724Subscriber
    I'd c/c and re-evaluate the river, most likely c/f most rivers. Lots of players will never bet an 8 on the flop and auto pot control it. There are a ton of cbet bluffs that turned a back door flush draw that may continue betting. And we do have a few miracle full house outs if he already has a flush.

He could also easily be value betting a worse Kx as well. If he's loose enough to open KJo and K9s+, he could have quite a bit of worse kings.
    by 1LVH
  • DrGambol Posts: 724Subscriber
    SKOO said:
    I think leading out might be the better play on the flop. Your hand is basically face up now if you say he seems like a thinking player.

Also, you're a bit to shallow to play a hand like that out of the blinds then play a ck call line against a player like that.
    What's your leading range? What's your c/c range? What's your c/r range?

If we're worried about being too face up against a better player, we need to make sure that we're not easily exploitable and when we start donking the flop with our top pairs, it makes it difficult to defend our checking range. I'm sure there's a way to donk KQ and still defend our checking range, but we have to be careful that we're not donk betting too many of our strong hands on the flop.

And keep in mind, while it might feel like we're face up and in a tough spot, the turn won't always be as gross as the 8 of hearts. Sometimes we'll get an off suit 2 and be in fine shape. We'll feel very comfortable on most turn cards.
  • dannydeuces Posts: 239Member
    DrGambol said:
    I'd c/c and re-evaluate the river, most likely c/f most rivers. Lots of players will never bet an 8 on the flop and auto pot control it. There are a ton of cbet bluffs that turned a back door flush draw that may continue betting. And we do have a few miracle full house outs if he already has a flush.

He could also easily be value betting a worse Kx as well. If he's loose enough to open KJo and K9s+, he could have quite a bit of worse kings.

this.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    C/c turn and c/c lots of rivers. If he is thinking about ranges and hands then us being so passive hides the strength of our hand quite a bit.

I actually like checking instead of leading here.
    by 1LVH
  • Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    I'd check/call the turn with the intention of check/folding most rivers. Unless he's a crazy thin value better (and I'd argue this bet would be too thin), he's not going to value bet a worse hand on the river. It's also unlikely that he'll turn the naked Ah into a bluff if he's thinking, because we're not really deep enough to fold anything.

The crazier play would be to check/call the turn and then ship the river. That 100% looks like we have a flush, and this guy seems aware enough to realize it. A river ship should get him to fold out his entire range that isn't flushes - for our purposes, AK and trip 8s. This requires some range analysis, although properly ranging him PF is going to be hard.
    by 1LVH
  • LVH Posts: 171Member
    Thanks guys. My first thought was c/c c/f . I actually folded though. I thought, if he's putting me on a range (and taking 45 seconds to put it together), that range is: 8s, hearts, decent kings, maybe 77, 99 or tt occasionally. Almost nothing else. I didn't think it made much sense to bluff against any of those hands, and I thought it made little sense to value bet many worse hands. e.g, Kc9c is betting to get called by what? Tc Th? I also thought it was a value sizing, maybe setting up a river all in. However, didn't really think about things like k4 suited or k-7 off in my perceived range, and maybe they were.
    Tyrith said:

The crazier play would be to check/call the turn and then ship the river. That 100% looks like we have a flush, and this guy seems aware enough to realize it. A river ship should get him to fold out his entire range that isn't flushes - for our purposes, AK and trip 8s. This requires some range analysis, although properly ranging him PF is going to be hard.
    Haha, that is pretty slick. If I had thought of that I might have gone for it. Who knows, he might even fold a baby flush or something.