Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Annoying Spot with set of K's deep

UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain is super loose pre-flop and tries a little too hard to win more than his fair share of pots post-flop, but not an idiot when it comes to timing or hand reading

Probably a 45/30 pre and an aggro factor of 5 post-flop

5/5 at Sands ~1600 effective

Folded to hero in UTG + 1
Raises to 20 with KhKd

Solid tight player calls 20 from CO

Villain calls from BB

$65 pot to flop
Ks Qd 8h

Villain checks
Hero bets 45
CO folds
Villain calls

$155 to turn
As
Villain checks
Hero bets $100
Villain raises to $500

I was already slightly unhappy with this turn action. This player is not an idiot, so he has to know that I'm a TAG-ish player, which means I'm likely to have a strong hand on this board. Villain is aggressive and bluffs a lot, but his normal sizing is much smaller. This sizing looks like it's a nutted hand setting up a river shove.

Thoughts on this turn: "#@&# the poker Gods for finally giving me top set and then putting his straight out there on this turn"

I call the $400 knowing I'm likely to get his stack if I fill up.

River Tc

Villain insta-shoves

I knew he was going to do this on any river after the turn bet sizing. It doesn't help that it's an ugly river.

What do we do on this river?
What about a river that completes a flush?
Or a river that's a complete blank?

Comments

• I'd fold all rivers to a shove that doesn't fill you up. It is less likely to be a bluff now that a one liner to a queen appears.

Bart
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I basically snap folded, but it bothered me a little later when I was discussing the hand with someone.

My buddy said that I play overly cautious against super aggro villains. Basically that I shouldn't just give him credit for the turned nuts because he made a large C/R

And that the turn was a jam to avoid this problem on the river. Either that, or close my eyes and call any river.

I disagreed because I thought effective stacks were too deep, and jamming would never get called by worse.
  • shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    Given your read, I would be ok with jamming the turn.
    However, once you call and the oneliner comes in, I wouldn't call the river. I think if you call, the rationale is to look for a safe card and/or see if the villain slows down, neither of which happened.
  • CajunDragonCajunDragon Posts: 173Member
    Wow. What a crappy spot. I was reading line by line and pretty sure he doesn't have a turned straight so I like the turn call.
    To have a straight on the turn he'd had to:
    1) Call TJ OOP in the BB which if he is competent he may not of done
    2) Then he flops an OESD and doesnt check raise??? This type of player would IMO.

Maybe he floated flop with AJ, turned top pair and raised for uncertainty/info and then rivered the straight. I think I'm definitely playing it the same way you did.
    Sad to have to fold there :( Two years ago, I'd call and of been wrong. Glad I found Barts stuff.
    ClaireChiang said
    Raises to 20 with KhKd
    Villain calls from BB
    Flop Ks Qd 8h
    Villain check/calls
    Turn As
    Villain check/raises
    Villain insta-shoves
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    You gotta raise more pre-flop here.