Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Am I insane for wanting to fold an OP this shallow?

UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5 ~260 effective

Villain is a loose donk. Always wants to see flops and plays pretty transparently post flop. Earlier, he just called a 3bet with almost half his stack with 77 and got lucky when he flopped a set.

Hero raises to 15 UTG with KsKc
Someone in MP calls
Villain calls in BB

Flop (47)
Td 5s 2c

Villain checks
Hero bets 30
MP folds
Villain calls

Turn (107)
4s
Villain checks
Hero bets 70
Villain raises to 170 and has about $40 behind

Comments

• whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    How aggressive / passive is he? Would he ever raise the turn with a combo draw or a hand like AT?
    Do you think he will call preflop with hands like 63s, 42s, 52s?
  • Claire,

I hate the fact that this guy has made it only $170 instead of shipping it all-in. This smells nutty to me like a set or A3. The only thing that I can think of that you may beat is a hand like As Ts where he thinks he has the absolute nuts. In practice it is tough to fold in these spots. But whenever I reluctantly put the rest of the money in on the turn I am rarely good against non all-in raises vs short stacks.

Bart
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I probably would have called a shove, but the sizing triggered my auto-fold reflex. I probably call a shove if he just shoved the turn.

He doesn't show when he doesn't have to, but I don't.think he semi-bluffs either.

Yes, he would definitely call 15 with hands like 42s and 63s
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    I think if he's bad nough to call off half his stack w 77 (prior hand) he's not raising on a draw. Its not in his repetoire. A10s which Bart mentions is the only hand which you beat he does this with. Most of the hands will be sets, 2pr, or a straight (If he's as bad as it sound he could've called the flop with a gutshot). Even if he shoves I think I fold here. I give bad players more respect as a general rule than good ones because they aren't capable of making moves. Esp with that turn which brings in a straight I doubt he's doing this w A10 except MAYBE As10s but thats ONE hand vs many possibilities. I fold.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    Claire said

He doesn't show when he doesn't have to, but I don't.think he semi-bluffs either.

Yes, he would definitely call 15 with hands like 42s and 63s
    Then it's a clear fold IMO.
  • CrazyCBettor Posts: 46Member
    I completely agree with DanVanDyke, I have seen these kinds of players, they like to call everything preflop, peel very light (from gutshots to bottom pair) on flops. These kinds of players are hardly aggressive, they are ready to call really large bets with very weak draws but they do not drive the action. I am pretty sure he has you beat 99% of the time. I agree with DVD that i would not call a shove even, though there is a slight difference, he will shove with QQ/JJ (not sure how he plays them preflop) and not make it 170. But I don't think that is enough to call.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    Simple players do not c/r small for 85% of their stack with a hand worse than KK. It sucks to fold this shallow, but be glad he was so transparent with his line/sizing.