Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

(2/5) Two bluff shoves: one with ace high, one semi. Spewy?

the_glove Posts: 31Subscriber
edited July 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain: 20s white guy. Decent at value betting against rec players, can hand-read, and is aggressive. But plays way too loose PF, limp-calling, limp-folding and cold calling IP. Likley views me as TAG based on how I've run and hands at showdown during the past few sessions we've played (last 2-3 weekends).

CO & BTN: both quite tight, rarely calling a raise, won't three-bet w/o QQ+, AK.

$635 eff.
Villain open-limps MP1, hero (A 9 ) raise to $25 from HJ, CO and btn call, villain calls.

Flop Q32 :r: ($100)
Villain checks, hero bets $65, co & btn fold, villain calls.

Turn 2 :r: ($230)
Villain checks, hero bets $140, villain calls after thinking for a bit longer than normal, maybe 10-15 seconds.

River J ($510)
Villain checks, hero shoves for $405...

Villain: Diff. 20s white guy, hoodie, aviators, and just added a bandana to cover his neck underneath the hoodie (lol wat?), has backpack with snacks. Directly on my left, playing very tight pre and very aggro post, stabs at every pot when checked to, usually for over-pot.

But... about an orbit ago, I raised a limper to $25 from MP, he cold-called JJ, btn and limper call. Flop QJ9dd, checked to him and he checks... he did bet turn and river (made quads) for like 2/3 pot.

$850 eff.
Hero opens to $20 from HJ with 8 6 , only V calls from CO.

Flop T 6 4 ($40)
Hero bets $25, V raises to $75, hero thinks for a bit and calls.

Turn 5 ($190)
Hero checks, V bets $200, hero thinks for a bit and shoves for $750...

Comments

• Tyrith Posts: 353Subscriber
    First hand, you're repping a pretty narrow AQ/AA-QQ range...river bet is suspiciously large if he's thinking. However, you either have AA-QQ or it's a pretty crazy bluff, so he really should be folding his entire range that isn't QJ or a set. Is he going to fold the river 45%~ of the time?...yeah, probably, I think. Only because you're saying he can hand-read, though; I'd never want to do this against someone who can't fold top pair.

I don't love the second bluff. You never had the opportunity to show significant weakness in the hand. Except for 75 and 53, it's hard for him to have a hand to semi-bluff with. Would he raise the flop and then bomb the turn with AT? What's he getting called by at that point? Dude sounds like kind of a donkey; in the previous hand he could have been on some small ball, waiting for safe cards plan instead of it being a more normal slowplay. I think he has a lot of sets here and is taking a bad value line against your overpairs, and I'd expect you to get snapped off a ton. At least you have equity.
  • the_glove Posts: 31Subscriber
    Thanks for the comments Tyrith. I agree on the first hand- definitely not something I'd try unless I knew villain could fold top pair.

Maybe hand 1 is too villain specific to be interesting, but I'd appreciate others' thoughts on hand 2.
    Tyrith said:
    Would he raise the flop and then bomb the turn with AT? What's he getting called by at that point? ... I think he has a lot of sets here and is taking a bad value line against your overpairs, and I'd expect you to get snapped off a ton. At least you have equity.
    Yes, I think AT and JJ are in his range, as are 87s, 75s, sets (7 combos- I block most of 66), and... bluffs.
  • JKH Posts: 835Subscriber
    the first one i like if u have a good table image with a bad table image I am not a fan. it look like u are asking man to fold top pair, at these stakes I rarly do that and only do it when I have a really good image or against someone who folds easily or is scarred money.

The second one you have lots of equity which I like but I am not a fan of making someone fold a hand at this level once they have raised me and shown strength. I think the second hand is only good if u have a good image and have a read on the player that he is capable of not being pot stuck and good enough to abandon a third of his stack in the middle. Against most players at this level I would just call here and go for value if I hit my draw. Now if he is bluffy enough are u willing to consider a hero call on the river with just a pair. I like calling more but if u are never gonna hero call say 300 river bet that makes the turn shove better. but thats just my 2 cents