If you live anywhere near chicago you have to at least try this place. not only was the game great it was one of the funnest times I have ever had playing. everyone was joking around and just laughing .. and only one guy was drinking!
its a pretty small room with only 6 tables but that doesnt matter since there were all so horrible.. that is with the exception of one guy I chased away early when I rivered two pair 8s and 6s against his and a OMCs pair of kings. :-) yeah I was lagging it up. no one was giving me any trouble so I thought why not?
then the table got super juicy when two young guns showed up.. both are regs and seem to know each other very well. The white guy was obviously a tourney player based on the way he used his chips..and he played NL the same way.. get this.. he would buy in for $200 and play super laggy..raising about 30% of hands.went thru 600 before I doubled him up when I snap shipped against his bb threebet against me.. I had A5ss and he showed up that time w AQ..but other times he had way worse.. The asian kid was better but couldnt fold an overpair.. The table was super fun with the one kid playing laggy with only 40bbs.. then a funny thing happened.. he got a stack of 1000 and he tightened up.. lol..backwards.. also of note was he would NEVER fold ace highs.. he would raise with them check flop and just not fold.. so off to value town hammah went.. also he made some rather basic river value raises where he couldnt get called by worse so I suspect he really wasnt hand reading.. both times he doubled up his opponents pretty deep..like each for close to 500..
so the table basically went like this.. laggies take small pots from nits one major fish (who was in game for 2k when I had left).. then overplay hands to other or other laggies.. and then hammah gets the bulk of the money in one hand..lol..
asian kid was king of the hill after he caught me bluffing when I had a flush draw that turned into a combo draw on turn and he checked.. he check cuz he was afraid I had a better kicker to his pair of aces but he didnt fold..lol.. so here I had shown down 86 os for the winner.. bluffed 76 suited and had to show.. not the nitty hammah huh?
i built my stack again to about 800 after I rivered the nut straight against a nit when I called for my gutter and I knew he would check turn too.. then I just made a big value bet on a wet board (backdoor flush came in) and I felt likely he had a big hand and was trapping and would call. he snapped .. and lost.. ha ha
then I got the KK hand I spoke about with bart on the podcast last night (I think it maybe in the show for next week) against the asian kid I bluffed and he doubled me up.. easy game..
I had some time this am before my meeting and had nothing to do so went there again ..kinda also to see the difference between the early crown vs the later crowd.. some of the things I saw:
1. calling station raises AA in ep.. tight guy three bets him to 60 from 20 .. stn calls.. they have about 250 behind effective.. flop is 8 53 w two clubs and stn bets 100.. lol.. 3 bettor thinks for about 10 seconds shoves and gets snapped by stn.. 3 bettor has KK binks river.. why oh why would you bet that flop and let AK off the hook considering stacks are so short?
2. 3x and 4x flop all in bets..
3. villain flats a good size cbet from pfr then when A hits turn on wet board shoves all in for like 2x or 3x pot.. hero (not me but pfr) shows JJ and folds.. villain says he had a set.. lol..
4. young guy raises to 15..another young guy threebets to 60.. I fold my 99s since I didnt have odds to call (500 cap game and both were too short).. first young gun calls.. effective stacks are less than 400.. lol.. flop
Ks 9s 8s check bet pot c/r all in..snap call.. turn 2c river 2d.. first young gun has QJss second young gun has 6s7s lol... sigh.. hammah wud have scooped that one.. so gross.. why is your flop set frequency so high on threebet pots when you fold?
and finally the funniest / craziest /most stupid thing I saw at GVC....
5. young gun from the hand above plays a hand tricky and guy who kept shipping for like 3x pot would do it by grabbing some chips say all in as he put the chips across the line. there is a line at GVC and I got warned a couple of times about it. well in this hand on the river with like 40 bucks in it.. guy ships it again ..taking 50 chips and in one motion say all in. kids flips one chip in ..then realizes the other guy said all in and says he thought he was just calling the 50..says because the 50 was across the line first it didnt count.. then says he didnt hear it and therefore its not binding.. lol.. dealer convinces the shipper if its ok to let the young gun take back his call ..he agrees and we move on. a heated discussion ensues where everyone is an expert.. we are these players in LA and Vegas?? ha ha..
anyways.. hidden gem..if it wasnt so out of the way I would try to make it back..