Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 JJ in ST vs short stack

TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited July 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Old nit limps in EP, 3 more limp, CO raises to $35 leaving $100 behind. Hero has JJ in SB. CO is weak live micro tourney player.
Is folding ok?

Comments

• Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 578Subscriber
    if you are behind the ranges then "yes"...of course it all depends on CO's range and old nits range...if you are ahead and there are a lot of AKs then shoving is fine...calling is not a good play here IMO
  • Topset1610 Posts: 280Subscriber
    I would bet like $200 to iso the initial raiser.

The only way I wouldn't do this is if $35 was a betting tell where this guy always had QQ+
  • sleepyboy Posts: 127Subscriber
    Topset1610 said:
    No need to ISO so big IMO. I would make it $100 and then fold if the old nit decides to shove (assuming he is not shortstack as well). Folding isn't horrible but nothing about COs $35 raise indicates his range has JJ crushed.
  • Topset1610 Posts: 280Subscriber
    sleepyboy said:
    Topset1610 said:
    No need to ISO so big IMO. I would make it $100 and then fold if the old nit decides to shove (assuming he is not shortstack as well). Folding isn't horrible but nothing about COs $35 raise indicates his range has JJ crushed.
    Yeah you are right iso should be smaller.
  • JKH Posts: 835Subscriber
    I would never fold but if u know his range has u beat then a hero fold is fine. This is fold u can make to a single raise only if u are sure u are beat. I don't usually make these hero folds to a single raise but that's just me.
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    I see nobody likes folding. But can you explain me why? Folding is 0 EV so it can't be bad. It can be not the best play but can't be bad. My worry was that it might be exploited, like old nits who only defend their blinds with premium hands which allows me to exploit them by opening 100% in LP. But in this case he can't exploit me with this sizing. So I should be fine, right?
  • afiguy357 Posts: 99Subscriber
    I feel like saying this is like saying "fold pre" but don't worry about an old nit ever attempting to exploit you.

Even the good player's who MIGHT be able to exploit anything, will only do it very rarely against you because why bother getting in to leveling wars.
  • the_glove Posts: 31Subscriber
    TDF said:
    I see nobody likes folding. But can you explain me why? Folding is 0 EV so it can't be bad. It can be not the best play but can't be bad.
    Folding is always 0EV but can still be good or bad. To take an extreme example, if you have TT on a TT2 flop, folding is 0EV but clearly bad because you are forfeiting your equity in the pot.

Folding JJ in the hand you posted might be bad for the same reason. It depends on the ranges of the other players. What range would/did you put them on?