Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Official Tilt Thread

Chicago Iron Posts: 68Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
hello everyone. my name is mike and i am an occasional tilter.

i currently have a lot of stress in my life which makes it difficult for me to sleep. sometimes i go 3 or 4 days only getting 4 or 5 hours a night. sometimes i am able to get a short nap in which usually isn't enough. i take melatonin which helps and when i really need it i'll take trazodone. about once, maybe twice a week i'll get a good 8 or 9 hours.

i think about the game all the time and i am relentless when it comes to working on my game. if i'm in my car i'm listening to Bart. if i'm at home i'm reading a poker book, watching CLP or browsing SeatOpen or sometimes 2+2. this is probably my greatest strength and at the same time my biggest flaw. my game has improved drastically since Black Friday, when i stopped playing online and made a promise to myself to really work on my game.

so my current situation is that i am an unimployed construction working who has been laid off again for the last 3 months. so naturally this is when i put my skills to the test and try to supplement my unemployment insurance which is nowhere near enough . i've been crushing the games running well and playing well and ran a $200 buy-in up to $6300 over 360 hours starting at 1/2NL and then moving to 2/5NL.

varience has been tough lately though and it's right around the 3 month mark of being laid off that the stress really kicks in because that is when i my health insurance runs out. i won't think about my problems all day long but as soon as i rest my head the floodgates open. so obviously this is no good if i want to play semi-profesionally. i've tried telling myself "i'll just play tight" or "i'll take lots of breaks" or "i'll drink a shit ton of green tea". sometimes it works. but it's a fine line and when it backfires, lol it gets bad.

so yesterday after basically giving away a buy-in i made a promise to myself to work on playing +ev hours. i'm also going to take a break from the game entirely. i also am going to try to eat healthier and exercise more. i love the game and not being able to play is not an option.

i am in noway looking for sympathy or a handout. i wrote this more for myself than anything else. it's kind of long so i wouldn't be suprised if nobody read it but i welcome all feedback. so feel free to tell your tales of tilt.

have you ever tilted in anyway?
do you used to tilt a lot but have taken measures to eliminate it and now you hardly ever tilt?
do you have bad habits of playing tired?
do you have any tips or tricks you use to avoid tilt?
what are your eating and sleeping habits?
do you exercise? how often?

p.s. part of working on my game has been working on not tilting. i used to tilt all the time and have been able to keep it to a minimum but sometimes all habits resurface i guess. thank you Tommy Angelo and Jerod Tendler.

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Michael

I tilt too but in a different way. I get depressed. I definitely think people handle things differently. I also think there are some people where they basically dint tilt at all in any form.

I cant even imagine having the stress of losing ones job. I used to think that I could play full time. I dont think that any more nor would I want to.

I will tell you what I am doing for my current downswing. I am playing pretty much my same game with the exception of super thin lines. Most importantly I am playing smaller. I had been building my bankroll and playing a bigger game and started running badly. I think that is the time to just move down and take a day off.

I also see a therapist. With my health issues I have had over the past few years I had been clinically depressed and having a person to help you work through these issues is so important. I really like Tommy Angelo so I looked for a therapist who is one that specializes in mindfulness and bhuddist teachings. I taught her poker.

Take regular breaks, force yourself to sleep 8 hrs a day ( get in bed no book no tv, etcc). get reg exercise, eat good. and get into something other than poker.

take care and good luck!

wendy
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    I try to follow the 1 minute rule in poker and life in general. If something isn't going to bother me 1 year from now, I don't let it bother me for more than 1 minute. It keeps me pretty sane in life and poker, for the most part.

Specifically for poker, I tend to be decision oriented in lieu of result oriented. If I made the proper decision, thought through the hand, got my money in "good", etc... than I have nothing to feel bad about when it doesn't go my way. Even a 99% favorite loses 1% of the time.
  • Chicago Iron Posts: 68Subscriber
    wendy weissman said

Michael

I tilt too but in a different way. I get depressed. I definitely think people handle things differently. I also think there are some people where they basically dint tilt at all in any form.

I cant even imagine having the stress of losing ones job. I used to think that I could play full time. I dont think that any more nor would I want to.

I will tell you what I am doing for my current downswing. I am playing pretty much my same game with the exception of super thin lines. Most importantly I am playing smaller. I had been building my bankroll and playing a bigger game and started running badly. I think that is the time to just move down and take a day off.

I also see a therapist. With my health issues I have had over the past few years I had been clinically depressed and having a person to help you work through these issues is so important. I really like Tommy Angelo so I looked for a therapist who is one that specializes in mindfulness and bhuddist teachings. I taught her poker.

Take regular breaks, force yourself to sleep 8 hrs a day ( get in bed no book no tv, etcc). get reg exercise, eat good. and get into something other than poker.

take care and good luck!

wendy
    thanks for the response wendy. i too wonder if i'd ever really make it as a professional poker player. i'm glad you mentioned that you see a therapist. i have been thinking about this for a while now and just haven't acted on it yet. i too get depressed if i am playing poorly. i am going to take your advice and try to live a healthier lifestyle. gl at the tables.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    Hey Mike - I am sorry you are out work, I hope something turns up for you.

I think alot of us tilt in some way or another. I used to think that I never tilted, but after reading Jared Tendler's book, I find myself experiencing different forms of tilt. Primarily, I feel very frustrated or often injustice tilt. This usually occurs when I watch other people at the tables build thier stacks playing the proverbial any two cards, while I grind for smalls profits. Then i find myself getting away from my overall strategy.

The best thing you can do is work on understanding what makes you tilt or why tilt overcomes you. I think once you have a better understanding of that, your tilt should become less of a factor.
  • Chicago Iron Posts: 68Subscriber
    Brudre21 said

Hey Mike - I am sorry you are out work, I hope something turns up for you.

I think alot of us tilt in some way or another. I used to think that I never tilted, but after reading Jared Tendler's book, I find myself experiencing different forms of tilt. Primarily, I feel very frustrated or often injustice tilt. This usually occurs when I watch other people at the tables build thier stacks playing the proverbial any two cards, while I grind for smalls profits. Then i find myself getting away from my overall strategy.

The best thing you can do is work on understanding what makes you tilt or why tilt overcomes you. I think once you have a better understanding of that, your tilt should become less of a factor.
    yea i'm the same way. lately i've been at the table with several live ones, only to watch their chips end up in someone else's stack. meanwhile, i'm winning the blinds with my big pairs and taking down small pots with sets ect. i know it's only varience, i just have a tough time dealing with it sometimes.