Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Concept check: Do you ever 3-bet to avoid getting squeezed?

UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I was having an interesting discussion with a friend about a game he was playing when a frequent squeezer was to his left. He said the guy wasn't really too loose or aggressive, but he just especially liked to squeeze. Even when he 3-bet and got called, he would tend to not barrel too hard after the flop.

Friend: "So since the guy kept squeezing, there was this hand when the button raised, and I had AJs in the SB. I would normally 3bet that against a button raise, but since the BB kept on 3-betting in squeeze spots, I decided to just call so he would 3-bet with a lot of worse hands that he would otherwise fold if I 3-bet."

Me: "Really? I would do the opposite. I think AJs plays better as a flat in general. I mean, the guy is never folding better. You think he's folding AQ? And he shouldn't be calling with worse. You think he would call a 3-bet with AT? But if the guy keeps squeezing, I might 3-bet with it just to avoid being OOP with the hand. I mean, it's not like you have AA or KK there. If you call his 3-bet, you're still OOP without the betting lead, and you're still going to miss the flop a lot of the time."

So as a concept check, what range would you flat in this situation, and what range would you 3-bet?

Comments

• regfish Posts: 34Member
    I would tend to 3bet hands like small - mid pairs and sc's that I would normally have to fold if I flatted and then he squeezed. Tend to flat AA, KK, AK, QQ, JJ, AQ, KQ, KJ, QJ in this scenario. With AA, KK, AK I like to backraise , get it in depending on stacks and his get it in range. I like to just call the squeeze with some non premiums like AQ, KQ, KJ, QJ because you stated he didn't really barrel so that makes me think he's not gonna make life too tough post flop. These hands are also going to flop top pair decent kicker a bunch so you will make a hand with good showdown value some that you could call a couple bets with too.

If this guy really likes to squeeze alot and then kind of shuts down (per your description) you really could just flat everything and just backraise over his squeeze. It's a nice spot because is this squeezer with this description really gonna continue the charades after you backraise 4bet? My answer is I doubt it. Also your 4bet can be kind of small so you get a good price on your bluffs. All of these scenarios are assuming your north of 100 bb effective.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    The guy's not an idiot. He'll know you have nothing if you backraise him a couple times. He's a decent TAG/LAG who likes to squeeze with dead money in the pot.

When I said he didn't barrel too hard, I meant he probably wouldn't bet, bet, shove with complete air if you
    call his flop cbet. But he knows how to play post flop. He wouldn't just 3bet and check it all the way down when he misses
  • regfish Posts: 34Member
    Claire said

The guy's not an idiot. He'll know you have nothing if you backraise him a couple times. He's a decent TAG/LAG who likes to squeeze with dead money in the pot.

When I said he didn't barrel too hard, I meant he probably wouldn't bet, bet, shove with complete air if you
    call his flop cbet. But he knows how to play post flop. He wouldn't just 3bet and check it all the way down when he misses
    I guess to generalize I would tend to 3bet more the tougher/better the squeezer is.

As far as him knowing we have nothing after we backraise it's just my opinion that even if he thinks we are light he's not gonna do anything about it especially since it's a 4bet. I'm not advocating you take this spot very often/every time. Just enough to exploit his high squeeze percent. I prob. should have also noted that to make these thin/creative plays you need decent insight into how this player thinks about the game/you. Imo I really can't put how to get that info into words. It's more something that each player figures out on their own. Some people call it leveling or metagame.

I still like calling the original raise and the squeeze with medium strength broadways that I mentioned in the other post. Like I said they can flop good top pairs and you can call twice and fairly comfortably fold to his triple.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I think it depends on both your relative position to the squeezer and your actual hand which play is better.

If I am going to be in position postflop, I would flat often with the intention of
    - flatting his squeeze with hands that have good playability post (e.g pocket pairs) or dominate his squeezing range (AQ, AK, QQ,..)
    - flatting and then 4betting a polarized range of premium hands and trash (preferrably with blockers)

If I am out of position to the squeezer, I would tend to
    - 3bet myself with hands that don't play well against his squeezing range (e.g. like AT, AJ, KJ, etc...)
    [but that's depending on the tendencies of the villain I am 3betting, of course]
    - flat with a tighter range than usual => if he squeezes, then
    - either flat again with hands that have good playability or dominate his range
    - 4bet with a polarized range
    - fold everything else
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 415Subscriber
    Dont ever run across that in 2-5. 90% of the time a 3b is JJ+, AK+. Most of the time even if it looks like a squeeze its not. The guy just woke up with a monster hand in a good spot. Its amazing how many callers a nit 3 betting from the SB gets in small stakes live games (of course there may be justification for calling but I dont think most people realize he has aces, not pulling off a squeeze play). I ran across once a guy who loved to 3b and 4b me with position on me and it was tough. He also was very aggressive postflop and willing to commit his stack. The play here I think is to call his squeeze lighter and be prepared to call down lighter, prehaps playing pot control (chk call chk call) if you have a mediocre hand like 2nd pr good kicker which will be good most of the time vs someone very aggro like this. I didn't like 4betting and getting into a preflop war since this guy was capable of 5b bluffing. I ended up stacking him when he overplayed his top pr weak kicker on a prd boar, chk raising etc and I had trips with a weak kicker. The guy played like he had a full house but against him I had to be prepared to call off and I was right. Kindve rambled on there a bit - lot of this is player dependant of course but I kindve prefer to play post flop vs getting into preflop wars. Even w Kings or Aces I wouldn't back raise since it looks to strong. I would flat (unless there were too many players and I wanted to thin the feild) and then let him hang himself hopefully.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Guys, this is 10/25
    Not one of my villains, but infinitely more interesting to talk about than 2/5
    So I doubt you can get away with doing anything silly against this villain. And yes, he usually is light when he's squeezing but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to 5-bet light if you rep nothing by backraising