Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flopped straight on a monotone flop 375BB Deep

WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Backstory: main villian in the hand is in town for a large tournament series. Definitely a competent player, has shown that he can play tricky and aggressively, but plays cash games very much like a tournament (i.e. overvalues top pair, pot controls marginal hands rather than exploiting small edges, etc.). Much of the table is very deep, and the effective stacks in this hand are $650 (I cover with about $1200). I have been playing much more aggressively than I normally do, and while I've been pretty card dead, I've managed to win a few big pots through naked aggression. The only time in the past couple of hours that I have made it to showdown, it's been with a flopped boat that I bet and was called down on all three streets by an overpair. Nearly every player at this table is loose/passive except for above villian and one other player who is irrelevant to this hand. I don't think I've been raised once post flop, and 3-betting is non-existent. Players are in pots with ridiculous cards (a few hours before a hand went 6 ways to the flop after I squeezed with As4s to $55 and the winner showed down Js10s)

The hand: limped aroundto Hero in the SB with 9c7s. Hero completes (this is a spew, I know). Pot $20.
Flop: 5c6c8c. Hero leads for $15. I wanted to try to price in all draws. Only Villian calls. Pot $50
Turn: 3d. Hero leads for $40. Same rationale. Villian calls. Pot $130
River: Jh. Hero leads for $75. I figured that most AcX hands that also have a pair on board will look me up here given the deep stack sizes along with sets, two-pair, etc. Villian ships for $600 ($525 more to Hero). WTF?!?

Hero?!? It's a limped pot, so that makes me nervous, but his play is so odd that I'm really confused. Any typical 1/2 mouthbreather does this and I fold without a second thought, but this guy seems compent like I mentioned above. Does Villian ever show up here with anything other than a flush?

I'll post results later

Comments

• OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    What is the villain's position on the flop? Did he have players behind him after you bet or was he closing the action?
  • CrazyCBettor Posts: 46Member
    Competent or not people usually have it when they overbet big on the river. you might have called you might have gotten lucky but I still think its a fold everytime. Do you think he is value betting worse? No way. And given that he is a tournament player I am not surprised he slow played the hand.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    OminousCow said

What is the villain's position on the flop? Did he have players behind him after you bet or was he closing the action?
    Villian is UTG +1. On the flop there is potential action behind him. After the flop it's heads up
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    The way you phrased the description of this hand makes me think that you called and were good. But it's basically irrelevant whether this is true or not. I am pretty confident that you can't call here, because you won't encounter a villain who is shoving worse in this spot often enough to make this call profitable. Of course, people do weired and crazy stuff all the time in live games, but the probability that you are good here is just to low over the long term.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    OK so I folded, and he showed me 7c10s for air. I phrased it the way I did because I was initially inclined to call (may be a leak in my game, but when something confuses me that much, I tend to err toward calling, especially at 1/2). I took a long time with it, but at the end of the day I just figured there was a better spot to mix it up - plus I didn't want to ruin a long grind up (that should have been a sign to leave the table as well, I guess). Thanks for the feedback on essentially never calling here, because to be honest the next time that this spot comes up I probably would have.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Wackabrew said

OK so I folded, and he showed me 7c10s for air. I phrased it the way I did because I was initially inclined to call (may be a leak in my game, but when something confuses me that much, I tend to err toward calling, especially at 1/2). I took a long time with it, but at the end of the day I just figured there was a better spot to mix it up - plus I didn't want to ruin a long grind up (that should have been a sign to leave the table as well, I guess). Thanks for the feedback on essentially never calling here, because to be honest the next time that this spot comes up I probably would have.
    The ONLY thing that you might consider is that because this guy IS a tourney player and is playing cash like its a tourney he knows that is very hard to call big bets on the river. He is also much more likely to bluff than your avg player. That said, calling without some kind of read I think is not profitable in a normal game with normal players..

I would have folded..

wendy
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    What sort of range would you guys call with? It's such a weird line that I can't really think of a single hand that the villain would play this way for value except maybe a flopped straight flush (7c4c exactly).
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    bet bigger on all streets. id say pot it. Why do you want to give the villian the correct price to call? You are letting him play his hand perfectly and not forcing him to make a mistake. IME people dont fold the NFD no matter what you bet or the SFD.

As played i think you have to fold the river. Yes it could be the correct call this 1 time but over the long run it is a losing play to call massive overbets without the nuts. You could also ch/callt he river trying to induce him to bluff with the naked A. Since he should have a hand that he is going to bet when checked too, or a hand he has to bluff with.
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Big bet ='s Big Hand @ the lower levels. This is an easy fold w/o specific reads he is capable of doing this with air or blockers.

Agree with betting bigger on flop and turn. Check calling river is also an interesting option.
  • Yeah river is just a fold.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    OminousCow said

What sort of range would you guys call with? It's such a weird line that I can't really think of a single hand that the villain would play this way for value except maybe a flopped straight flush (7c4c exactly).
    You are right, his line doesn't really make sense with any reasonable hand. That being said, people show up with all kinds of strangely played hands in live games.
    (Against the right type of opponent, I might actually consider playing the nut flush like this if I am in villain's shoes.)
    As hero, I guess I would call with the nut flush (and not be to happy about it) and fold everything else, unless I have a read that villain doesn't really know what he is doing. But since you even hold a blocker to a straight flush, there's no way you could fold the nut flush.