Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

300BB deep w Middle Set on coordinated board; value line check

Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 578Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I feel like I didn't get enough value here and need some analysis on this hand. This is a 2/3 spread limit game with a max bet of 300 (raises are uncapped if heads up but 300 can be bet at a time)

Effective Stacks are 300BB/ Hero Covers Villian

UTG ($146)
Hero UTG+1 (covers table)
Villian ($875)
My read on the Villian is that he is calling with lots of implied odds hands but will not slow play the nuts.
UTG is a poor player

UTG Limps, Hero Raises to 12 with QsQd, Villian Calls, 2 other calls and UTG calls (POT 57 after rake)
FLOP - KsQhTh - UTG checks, Hero bets 45, Villain calls, 2 folds, UTG raises allin for 134, hero reraises to 285 villian calls. (POT 761)
TURN- 3c - Hero bets 150 villain calls (POT 1061)
RIVER-Qc- Hero bets 300, Villain folds

I realize the turn bet is way too small and I need to bet 300 and pay off villain if he hits. Is there anything else that stands out in this hand as I lost track of the pot size on the turn and made a very poor bet and gave villain 6:1 to hit his flush...On the river is there any way to check/fold or bet/fold if a Heart comes?

Comments

• whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I think you played the hand well. The pot is so huge after the turn that I am not folding anymore, no matter what.
    If you make your flop reraise slightly larger, you can easily shove the turn and don't have to worry about remaining stacks on the river.

Also, if UTG is bad, I would raise slightly larger pre. With QQ, you want less callers than with AA for instance, as there are more overcards that can come. Isolate to 15 or 18 and play a 3way pot.
  • CrazyCBettor Posts: 46Member
    As you already know turn bet is really bad you cannot give someone immediate odds to draw. I would bet 350. As WYP correctly pointed out if you raise 50 more on the flop you can easily shove 525 on the turn in a pot of 861.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Hey Drew, do you play the spread limit games at Talking Stick? I play 3/5 sometimes when I'm visiting my parents (I'm from Chandler)

You can't shove 525 on the turn because of the $300 max bet. I believe in 3/5 and 5/10 it's $500 which can be annoying when you're deep sometimes.

I would bet the full 300 allowed on both the turn and river
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 578Subscriber
    WYP- 300 is the max bet so it complicates things. No matter what I bet on the turn, Villian should have immediate odds for any combo draw and he has inadequate odds for a flush draw. I messed the bet up because I was thinking if there was a way to bet fold if a heart came and that was the big mistake. I like the idea of raising to 225 on top and which sets up a near turn shove but I will be forced to call if a river heart comes I think.

CLAIRE- yes this is the 2/3 game at Talking stick and the hand would play easier if the bet was 500 allowed like in the 3/5 game.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    whya re you forced to call a heart river? Is the villian ever going to be bluffing when the FD comes in? As said previous bet the full amount on the turn and river.
  • I'd raise more preflop but not because for all the stupid reasons I hear on other forums. I'd do it because the max bet is $300 and I would to build a pot. In fact, I open to 3x+1bb for each limper in all games because I like having post flop maneuverability, but that's another topic. I'd also bet more on the flop for the same reasons.

On the turn, I think we are still getting called by a lot of hands if we max bet, so I'd just bet the $300. River is obvious. NH.
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 578Subscriber
    fishcake said

I'd raise more preflop but not because for all the stupid reasons I hear on other forums. I'd do it because the max bet is $300 and I would to build a pot. In fact, I open to 3x+1bb for each limper in all games because I like having post flop maneuverability, but that's another topic. I'd also bet more on the flop for the same reasons.

On the turn, I think we are still getting called by a lot of hands if we max bet, so I'd just bet the $300. River is obvious. NH.
    So you are saying make it 434 on flop, 300 on turn and c/f on the river if a heart comes?..What about a 9 or Ace?...Our pot odds would be sick to fold the river if no heart comes.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    Drew said

WYP- 300 is the max bet so it complicates things. No matter what I bet on the turn, Villian should have immediate odds for any combo draw and he has inadequate odds for a flush draw. I messed the bet up because I was thinking if there was a way to bet fold if a heart came and that was the big mistake. I like the idea of raising to 225 on top and which sets up a near turn shove but I will be forced to call if a river heart comes I think.
    ok, sorry, didn't realize that. I guess all you can do then is bet the max. on each street.
    In order to still fold on the river despite the large pot, I would need to be pretty sure that villain doesn't bluff much at all.

Generally, with this betting structure, you should probably tighten up from out of position even more, since draws will often get a good price to draw out.
  • Drew said
    fishcake said

I'd raise more preflop but not because for all the stupid reasons I hear on other forums. I'd do it because the max bet is $300 and I would to build a pot. In fact, I open to 3x+1bb for each limper in all games because I like having post flop maneuverability, but that's another topic. I'd also bet more on the flop for the same reasons.

So you are saying make it 434 on flop, 300 on turn and c/f on the river if a heart comes?..What about a 9 or Ace?...Our pot odds would be sick to fold the river if no heart comes.
    Would be a lame spot, but I guess you check/fold any straight or flush card if you know they won't bluff.