Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Player Typing

Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Reading Wendy's post on game flow got me thinking about player typing. I would like to know how you guys type your opponents. What is your idea of someone who is tight aggressive, weak tight, loose aggressive etc. Are you basing this on how many hands they are playing, how they play post flop, check folding every flop, bet sizing etc.

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    The very first thing I do in player typing is what they look like. are they younger , older. wearing conservative clothes or wearing bling. After that I am looking to see what they show down. This really doesnt take too long. even within a round.

so lately I have been noticing tight older players who have smaller stacks are playing their hands very fast. thats where I have been making wrong reads. but younger pkayers even with shorter stacks dont seem to be doing this. I never thought player typing was that important. but now I think its the basis for all range analysis and its super super important..

ww
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Typically what I see but please excuse me for political incorrectness. I don't mean everyone either, so please don't be offended if I stereotype you and you're actually a great player

Finance guys tend to be aggro but a little spewier than good LAGs because they're not as good with timing. LAGtards

Bling wearers tend to by loose and fishy

Beards and sports jerseys tend to be action players

Nicer looking old guys tend to be tight passive and straightforward

The "get off my lawn" old guys tend to be a little bluffy but bad at picking spots

Young white or Asian guys have the highest probability of being good players but that doesn't mean all of them are

Hispanics tend to be more bluffy than average

Middle aged Asian men can be absolutely nuts. Although a lot are also around break even players

Women tend to be passive. So I have a big advantage in being an unknown sometimes
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    gotta love the. BLING! I try to follow them around. Any guy who is wearing flashy jewelry has the personality that is just great for us at the table.

I would add to claires stereotypes that anyone wearing a button down shirt tends to be tight. You almost never seen a good young player wearing a nice ironed shirt. that would take way too much time.. the better young players are wearing sweats ,shorts and generally very comfy clothes. last friday when I played I even saw a young player come with sweats and no undies. It was obvious the snake was free, lol.Embarassed he is definitly NOT a tight player.

Another way to player type too is to find out if they are married, have a job, own a home....all of this can also help determine tightness and looseness. Thats why you want to be chatty at the table.

WW.
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 578Subscriber
    Interesting...I like to dress comfortable but lately have been trying to make a better effort at wearing nicer clothes, fixing my hair etc before playing. It feels like I get played back at less and more respect just from my appearance until the "unknown" details are more defined. I personally don't wear jewelry but have thought about mixing that up as well.