Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

If Villain is Pot Committed, Am I Also?

BigBadBug Posts: 7Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
All else being equal, doesn't the concept of effective stack size mean that if the villain is pot committed, than I am, too? In other words, if I start with 1000bb, but my opponent only starts with 30bb, and we end up with an SPR of 1 or 2 on the flop, he's most certainly pot committed, right? But because *our* effective stack size dictates SPR, I think I am committed, too. Or? Maybe I'm missing something fundamental...

Comments

• UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    This is more of a tournament concept than cash game concept. Sometimes you can bet about 1/3 of someonet remaining stack as a bluff and fold to a ship to save chips if you're bluffing a short stack which is very useful when you're the table bully because you get to risk a lot less than him

With 30bb in cash, I've seen people not understand stand being committed and flat a huge portion of their stack pre to fold the flop. But for the most part, only play strong top pair hands against these players if you can help it because you may be forced to call off with any piece of the flop getting it in bad if pot odds mandate it
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Claire is correct for bad players and those games are generally very good. That said when someone calls me too short I just wont bluff.. You cant barrel and will have to change your line to be pretty much only value oriented. Like in PLO I will bet my equity in a pot when there is someone short.

Wendy
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    NL is much different than PLO in this regard. I think it can be appropriate in plo to call a big % of your stack pre, and fold the flop. In NL, you're not likely to fold the flop with half your stack in the middle with 99 on T77 vs the preflop raiser. In plo, it's an easy fold with 9875ds on a flop of QKK where turning a pair is not likely to improve your equity.

I agree with Wendy in that In NL, i play for straight value vs short stacks that have called a significant % of their stack pre, and generally don't cbet light. Nobody can make me pot committed, except myself.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    chilidog said

NL is much different than PLO in this regard. I think it can be appropriate in plo to call a big % of your stack pre, and fold the flop. In NL, you're not likely to fold the flop with half your stack in the middle with 99 on T77 vs the preflop raiser. In plo, it's an easy fold with 9875ds on a flop of QKK where turning a pair is not likely to improve your equity.

I agree with Wendy in that In NL, i play for straight value vs short stacks that have called a significant % of their stack pre, and generally don't cbet light. Nobody can make me pot committed, except myself.
    I was relating to on the flop.. If someone is short and I have a lot of equity on the flop after being the preflop aggressor I am betting it and I dont care if shor stack goes all in.

Ww