Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Keeping track of mistakes during a session

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,083SubscriberProfessional
edited August 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Tonight was a great game at hustlers 5/5 game and even though I won I still lost 600 cuz I played two hands badly. Do you guys keep track of how much you lose either in value from missed value or in my case calling when I should have folded? What so dumb is how obvious the mistakes were after the hand but during I just seemed to miss them.. *sigh*

ww

Comments

• workinghard Posts: 1,544Subscriber
    Probably not a bad idea to keep track but I haven't been. I do think about it missed value though. It's harder to quantify money left on the table vs money lost from a bad call. But I think caring about money not won on a winning night is what partly distinguishes a rec from a thinking player.
  • NutsUppercut Posts: 146Subscriber
    Not today. I played prefect (first time in a long time), zero mistakes. Feels great!
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,804Subscriber
    Maybe not for every single missed played hand or missed spot but most definitely the big spots where I got really lucky or mssed a ton of value I go thru over again. Usually write a quick note on my phone and think about the hand on way home.

then i decide if I should post it here or not.
  • fishcake Posts: 917Subscriber
    I keep track of it in my head and then beat myself up after the hand and after the session. Nothing I hate more in poker than missing value bets, paying people off and not going with my gut.
  • GODMODE09 Posts: 94Subscriber
    Yes I do it all the time. Once every round , PLO is dealt and I don't play it . At this time, I make a note of opponents ranges, calling tendencies, live tells, etc and anything I did in that round. Then I come home and review my session and make a list of my mistakes and opponent tendencies. I do this everyday and look at this list as a warmup on my way to the poker club.
    Then I modify it and keep it updated and see how I'm progressing and see if I repeat the same mistake. It's a great way to learn , keep all the info about opponents and can drastically improve your win rate.
  • floppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    i only keep track of them generally if they involve interesting hand histories, but keeping track of even the mundane spots of missed value or bad calldowns would probably be worthwhile.... i sometimes worry if i get involved in too much mid-session tracking stuff that i won't as observant and lose the flow of the game, which in itself would be a mistake. so it's a balance.... so i tend not to think that you can or should try to keep tabs on every little thing like 'oh, i only value bet 60 here when i could have gotten 80' or 'i never should have c-bet with that texture vs that guy so let me subtract 40 in my ledger.'
  • Shark Posts: 98Subscriber
    I developed an App for that. It's not on the Appstore. Just for my own usage. It gives me a score for the session and contains a list of typical leaks in my game. Also a databank about the players and tendencies
    640 x 1136 - 138K
    640 x 1136 - 79K
  • floppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    rad -- does it do what wendy's talking about? adding up lost value with actual numbers?
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,083SubscriberProfessional
    now that would be interesting! I would love to track hands I played badly.. then see if there is a pattern or if its just a brain fart or something.. my two hands last night were against short stacks with pretty good hands but not nutty.. weird stack sizes and I value bet got shipped on and then what?

So back tot he drawing board on shorties.. guess they were both just check folds.. :frown: bad hammah bad hammah!

ww
  • kom Posts: 225Subscriber
    I kept track of the value of my mistakes over a seven month period, as part of a column on my poker excel sheet. It will keep you humble and give you something to work on; or in my case, many things; it will also give you an idea of what your win rate could be.
  • kristouffe Posts: 54Subscriber
    edited August 2014
    I use to have a column in my sheet for all the money that i should have won/save if i didn't play badly. After 6 months, it was quite depressing. this number only goes up.
    Playing E2/E4 (in euro, i'm french) i managed to average a E100 loss per day in stupid play (and i was still able to beat the game easily because the frenchs are the worst). I was keeping doing the same mistakes over and over. Just looking at this red number make me want to shoot me in the head. I was on tilt at home.

I finally erase this column and now, i just take notes, make hands history, without really tracking the numbers.
    Now I use PokerHistory+ app and no more Excel
  • DonkieRon Posts: 577Subscriber
    Wow! Doing this could be depressing.
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 571Subscriber
    edited August 2014
    I take notes sometimes; ...I used to type in the hand shorthand in notes or evernote on my phone...you can also record a note and then go into more detail later...When I think I've misplayed a hand, missed a bet etc I would describe the action and explain why I did what I did...later on it's good to go back and realize why you are not making the proper bets or going with your reads..whatever...You will realize some leaks that way....Now I carry a moleskin notebook I got from Barnes and Noble...I walk away and take direct notes either during break or when I'm done...I note interesting hands and some mistakes etc from the night....I found it makes me sharper and more accountable for my play.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Wow, you're becoming like me. I used to keep closer track than I do now, but I still have somewhat of a mental log of how much of my losses (or cut in winnings) was due to mistakes that were very obviously avoidable

When I used to keep a spreadsheet of my sessions instead of using one of those apps, I kept track of the $ amount of mistakes. But if I do something stupid and I have to get it in pre-flop with A7s against AK for 500 effective, then I got it in with about 30% so that's actually only a $200 mistake instead of a $500 mistake. Because my EV in the pot is $300 that I'm putting in $500 to win.
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 571Subscriber
    I used to just keep a log on my computer but I've found that actually writing down with a pen and paper reinforces things better than on any app or spreadsheet etc....It's like back in school where you retain things better by writing it and saying it rather than just thinking it.
    I think doing this is important to realize the effect these mistakes can make in win rate..I am making notes like " dont call raises from short stacks" and then put in the $ amount because of it. I think that helps me know the impact.

ww
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    Thehammah said:
    Tonight was a great game at hustlers 5/5 game and even though I won I still lost 600 cuz I played two hands badly. Do you guys keep track of how much you lose either in value from missed value or in my case calling when I should have folded? What so dumb is how obvious the mistakes were after the hand but during I just seemed to miss them.. *sigh*

ww
    I don't beat myself up about the mistakes I make. I just try to keep in mind how to better get value or spots I should fold in the future.
  • GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 328Subscriber
    khalwat said:

I don't beat myself up about the mistakes I make. I just try to keep in mind how to better get value or spots I should fold in the future.
    This for the most part. I do seem to get upset with myself in spots where I missed value or make a call when "I knew I shouldn't have" more than anything else at the table.
    khalwat said:
    Thehammah said:

ww
    I dont beat myself up either.. I just want to point out what room there is to still improve. I try very very hard to ALWAYS think in positive ways. stroking "little" Wendy is very important to my mental game so positive thinking is always good.

That said I feel I am much better able to look at how I play from a completely neutral way so I can analyze it clearly and hopefully not make the same mistake again.

ww