Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Poorly played monster

khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
Here's a hand I think I misplayed horribly. $1/2 PLO home game, people are super-passive and call-heavy preflop. Limped pot 5-ways, I'm in the BB with QQ52 :r:

Flop: Q 9 9

So I insta-checked, semi-aggressive (read: overplays hands) Villain1 in CO bets $9 into $10, loose Villian2 on button calls, it folds to me, and I make it $25.

Villain1's range is skewed towards 9x here, but occasionally will be betting with AQxx, KKxx, and sometimes he even has bad AAxx here (yes, with that preflop action).

Villain2's calling range is wider; any 9x obviously, but also JTxx, ATJx, etc.

I think my raise is a terrible play. There are two ways to correctly play flopped monsters like this multi-way, imo:

1) Lead. Any 9xxx is calling, lots of TJxx are calling

2) Call. If I'm going to play my hand as if I have a draw, then just keep c/c and hope he boats up.

I think option #2 is inferior, because at some point I want to get more money into the pot, and Villain1 may very well check a number of cards behind on the turn or river.

So just bet bet bet -- keep our range wide, let the passive players keep calling while drawing near dead.
Tagged:

Comments

• GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 328Subscriber
    If CO and BTN are who I think they are, then I prefer the bet bet bet line. CO is aggro enough to raise get it in with a 9 and BTN will give you at least 2 streets of value if CO just calls. Table changed a bunch, I was up for way longer than I usually am and we played way too late for me to actually remember the hand. But in our game for the most part I like bet bet bet.
    by 1Dusty
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    yep, I agree... and yeah CO and BTN are who you think they are :)
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    edited August 2014
    Andrew- I thot u live on the east coast ? Yet u play in a home game with a guy from LA ?

Bet, bet, then bet again (unless the river is a 9)
  • GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 328Subscriber
    No LA living for me. Been an east coaster my whole life.
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    chilidog said:
    Andrew- I thot u live on the east coast ? Yet u play in a home game with a guy from LA ?

Bet, bet, then bet again (unless the river is a 9)
    Ya I knew I misplayed the hand as soon as I checked. Mostly posted it here as a cautionary tale. :tu: