Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Call-Ins No. 1: CLCI Premiere: walking players & suited aces

BartBart Posts: 6,077AdministratorLeadPro
edited September 2014 in Crush Live Call Ins podcast
On the debut episode of the CLCI podcast Bart talks to callers about players walking away from the table, the playability of small suited aces Stud 8 value bet theory, and a hand involving KK with a limp reraise preflop facing multiway action.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/crush-live-call-ins-ep-1
Tagged:

Comments

• beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    nice job, Bart.
    like the call-in aspect of the show
    but the first caller sounded like he was 20,000 leagues under the sea, which made it difficult to understand what he was saying - and even more difficult to enjoy the show.
    might be worthwhile to "test" callers to see if audio is worth recording for future shows.
  • BartBart Posts: 6,077AdministratorLeadPro
    Beau,

I appreciate the words but thats not going to happen in a live show. This podcast isnt replacing the normal podcast it is in addition to it. I guess I could have just cut the guy off right away. Maybe I will do that if it happens again.

Bart
  • Jordan Posts: 78Subscriber
    Wow, yeah my call quality was terrible!
  • weatherman Posts: 65Member
    Thanks for the tip Bart. If you see multiple people opening with any 3 cards 8 or lower in stud8 do you tighten up your opening to say A-6?
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    edited September 2014
    what do you mean weatherman by A-6? If I see players opening up with say an 8 up and I look down and have a 7 up and say A5 or A6 down I will probably flat.. If I have three to straight and low with a better than 8 up then I am raising to iso them ( like a 6 up and 45 down). If I have an ace up I am iso raising them..

its player and also where you are in relation to the bring in.. since stud 8 has alot of razz type aspects. you really need to bluff alot based on your board texture.. you should be able to get alot of folds from better but mediocre hands..

say someone completes with a K up.. you can assume they have split kings.. You have 27 with a 5 up.. its heads up.. they get a 3 on 4th street.. you hit an ace.. You HAVE to bet that.. yes you have a low draw.. but its only a draw and you want the guy with split kings to fold. you can easily now have paired up the ace and you have to drive the action. and you can continue to drive if you hit a 3, 6, 2, pretty much any card below an 8 for the rest of the hand..

ww
    edited September 2014
    btw.. bart.. just an excellent show!.. I love the format.. so cool to be able to call in and ask you a question about a hand. this in ADDITION to the content you are already putting out on this website just makes this the best deal in pokerdom.. just my opinion but really great stuff!

ww
    Let me rephrase hammah, I mean if the general flow of he game consists of multiple players chasing lows with a range of A-8 regardless of their upcard do you generally tighten your overall range? For instance the bring in is showing a 2, 3 other players call the bring in showing an 8, 5, and 4. You have (2,3)8. You know if you raise maybe the bring in will fold but the other 3 are always coming along. You also know each of them has a range of Ax through 8x or a small pair plus 1 additional small card. In a multiway game where everyone is playing a range of A-8 each hand, do you tighten up your overall starting range to increase your odds of getting a better low and straight?

I am talking overall game strategy in this case, not a specific hand.
  • Drew5harkDrew5hark Posts: 578Subscriber
    loved it!..gonna call in next week for sure with a hand or two
  • BartBart Posts: 6,077AdministratorLeadPro
    Thehammah said:
    what do you mean weatherman by A-6? If I see players opening up with say an 8 up and I look down and have a 7 up and say A5 or A6 down I will probably flat.. If I have three to straight and low with a better than 8 up then I am raising to iso them ( like a 6 up and 45 down). If I have an ace up I am iso raising them..

its player and also where you are in relation to the bring in.. since stud 8 has alot of razz type aspects. you really need to bluff alot based on your board texture.. you should be able to get alot of folds from better but mediocre hands..

say someone completes with a K up.. you can assume they have split kings.. You have 27 with a 5 up.. its heads up.. they get a 3 on 4th street.. you hit an ace.. You HAVE to bet that.. yes you have a low draw.. but its only a draw and you want the guy with split kings to fold. you can easily now have paired up the ace and you have to drive the action. and you can continue to drive if you hit a 3, 6, 2, pretty much any card below an 8 for the rest of the hand..

ww
    Hands like A37, A27, A57 are some of the most overvalued hands in stud 8. Especially when one or more aces are dead on 3rd. In essence it is just a raise hand trying to make a pair of aces. I can't remember the last time I reraised an 8 up with a hand like 346. Why would you want to drive people out behind you?

Bart
    bart

for sure.. It would depend on where the person is and if there are players in between I might be raising for value.. or to iso a player who is super loose.. and like the hands you listed above the A27 etc.. are better than his up card but can be toast behind if someone has say a 5 up and raises.. I might even fold that if the raiser is tight..

I was trying to get what he was talking about since he only listed two cards and the third card is so important to know what I might do in a particular situation.

on a side note. when would you want to iso a bad player with say low cards that also straight or only with say A 26 all one suit? I have played around with these a bunch online and given the more players in the pot all the remaining low cards will be distributed to more players..

ww
    edited September 2014
    When I listed A-6 I didn't mean having an ace and a 6, I meant having a range of A23, A24, A25, A26, A34, A35, A36, A45, A46, or A56. Also 234, 236, 456, etc. Any 3 cards between A and 6. Would it be a good idea to tighten your range if everyone else is playing any 3 between Ace and 8? Sorry, should've clarified. Also, I know we're playing other hands, I am just asking in reference to our unpaired babies.
    I think the question is too game dependent. It would be like asking if its ok to tighten up when playing in a super loose NL game. sure in general its always better to play tighter.. but it depends on a number of factors. Bart always tells me that the ante is huge. if its a bigger ante then you wont be able to play uber tight because you will be blinded away. At the bike the ante is tiny so its better to play really tight..

stud8 is a drawing game and what you are looking for are hands that are likely to draw better than your opponents. so you cant just say if he has an 8 up I can play A27.. it depends on the other players, if there are any, and the position you are in relative to the bring in.. like in omaha there are no "hands" you only have bad draws and better draws.. well maybe rolled up would be a "hand" but i have lost with rolled up aces before..

does this make sense? If not I am not doing a good job of explaining.

ww
    You are absolutely right "it depends" and I should've mentioned that the antes are small 20% of the small bet instead of 25%. There are 4 players till 5th street 90% of the time, and 3 that stick around until showdown almost every hand. I was just thinking that (keeping in mind live cards) that all things being equal playing small cards up to a 6 instead of up to an 8 would increase my chances of
    Catching a lower low and of making straights more often. I'm also thinking unsuited. I would still play Axx where xx=2-8 suited. I just wondered if overall I'm losing a lot of value tightening up smaller unsuited cards.
    Sure there is. Say like what Bart was saying about A27. If i see a player w a 5 up or an ace there is no reason to play for only a bad low. But if i see high cards or a player i know likes to rep anything i would limp. Thats why i like stud 8 so much. So many variables

Oh i have have scooped nice pots w an 8 up when i made straight and low so having a 8 isnt horrible but i am gen going to fold it if i dont have a threeflush (low threeflush) or threestraight
  • Blixx Posts: 2Member
    First off, love that we're getting additional podcast content!

The only issue I have with this, and some of the Limon Sesh shows, is the overall volume is so low. Try listening to an episode on an ipod in public (traffic noise, train, subway) and the audio is barely intelligible. The Max volume is at significantly lower than any other podcast I listen too :(
  • TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 321Subscriber
    Love the format, I know live calls can be a pain, but good work with this Bart. After a few shows callers should get the idea and it's easier to judge when to end a call.

The volume is very low. I couldn't listen in the car yesterday b/c my speakers wouldn't turn it up high enough. Maybe it's turned down b/c of the phone recording aspect? That would explain Limon's show also being fairly low sometimes.

What software do you use to edit post-show? It should have an Amplify effect. You can set a standard +- level for all of your podcasts so they sound universal.

by 1Blixx
    Thehammah said:
    Sure there is. Say like what Bart was saying about A27. If i see a player w a 5 up or an ace there is no reason to play for only a bad low. But if i see high cards or a player i know likes to rep anything i would limp. Thats why i like stud 8 so much. So many variables

Oh i have have scooped nice pots w an 8 up when i made straight and low so having a 8 isnt horrible but i am gen going to fold it if i dont have a threeflush (low threeflush) or threestraight
    Ok I think we are saying the same thing. When you said "sure there is" I did not know what you meant since I asked if I was losing value tightening up. Grammatically it confused me, lol. I really like stud8 as well as more people are willing to play it than stud hi, although I still see way more mistakes in stud hi. Thank you Bart and hammah.
  • Fontane Posts: 34Member
    I didn't find a Stud8 forum so I'll ask here:

I play in a NL Dealer's Choice game where 15% of the people pick stud8 ($5 ante) NL Roll Your Own (No forced bring in) game.

It's for sure the most gamble game in the mix as about half the time at least two people get their whole stack in. It's the game that sometimes people who are losing and want a chance to make it all back play.

Any advice in playing a NL Stud8? I can also choose dealer rolls the cards if it's a bigger advantage. I am probably break even in this game as I probably play tighter on 3rd and 4th street than average.
    I have heard of pot limit stud 8 but never NL stud 8.. its a drawing game and playing that NL would be pretty brutal.. Bart would have more insight on this but I would imagine with the NL nature that having a made high would be better than a low draw.. so hands like rolled up are monsters and any big pair... as long as someone doesnt have a bigger up card behind you..

ww
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    beauregard said:
    nice job, Bart.
    like the call-in aspect of the show
    but the first caller sounded like he was 20,000 leagues under the sea, which made it difficult to understand what he was saying - and even more difficult to enjoy the show.
    might be worthwhile to "test" callers to see if audio is worth recording for future shows.
    That'd require a call screener or hanging up on people who have bad audio, but hopefully it just won't happen all that much.

The child in the background put me on insta-tilt. Because my kids had just gone to sleep, and I finally had peace... :cool: