Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

JeJo's strategy Challenge

JeJoJeJo Posts: 56Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hello there!

Content starts in the second post.

I'm going to start a little samplesize challenge here. You will find here:

* Weekly updates with at least one hand to discuss
* Some strategy talk/assumptions/mathematics
* Some Live Grind data

Background:
I'm playing poker for 6 years now. In the last few days I realized that I'm getting lazy again since I haven't been playing for 3-4 weeks now without a good reason.
That means only one thing: It's time for a challenge and a "protocol platform" which I choosed to be seatopenpoker as a try.

Challenge:
150 hours until June 25th Embarassed
Some of you will laugh about my approached samplesize but I have lots of stuff to do besides poker. Thus there is mostly no chance to play more than once a week.

Usually I play 2€/2€ but I believe there will be once in a while 2/4 or 5/5 hands to discuss

I hope there are no problems because of the ongoing format of this post in this forum section since it still stays a strategy related post. Kiss

Comments

• JeJoJeJo Posts: 56Member
    Let's start with two small hands from yesterday's session which I was able to memorize:

I raise AKo in MP 14€ vs two limpers and both call.

Flop(46€): KQ9 rainbow
    An asian, who I was seeing the first time at this moment, donks 60€ and the second limper folds.

He played his third hand and he already must had lost at least 50 in the first one before he doubled up in the second with a Two Pair which he played fast on the flop. Now he had 42 behind.

I found it a pretty shitty board to call/raise. There are almost no possible draws.
    I think I would get it in on a board with two suits and with at least an 8 instead of the 9.
    Would some of you call/raise as he is obvious a (tilt-?) fish and could do this with practically any pair(of king)/gutshot or do you wait until this assumptions are confirmed by a concrete hand?

Results:
    Session: +190€
    Since challenge start: +190€
    Hours played session: 6.9
    Challenge completed until 25th june: 6.9 / 150

Second hand followsCool
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    how many hands does villain play preflop? You can treat his donkbet as an allin, so you need 40% equity to get it in. I don't see how you can / sould get away from this hand. He limp-called from EP. Unless you have a read ht his range contains many premium hands, I would shove the flop.
  • shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    At this stack depth I can't fold. I don't think it matters if you shove or just call and call off of a bet on future streets, or shove turn if he checks. If he has two pair plus, so be it, but weaker kings and perhaps even some qs are certainly in a limp callers range.

If he was deeper than it'd be a more complex decision. I would call and see what he does on the turn
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    with stack sizes i dont see anything besides shoving turn. Youd be surprised how often someone will play a hand like AQ this way but when you call the just ch/f to furthur action. Just shove and count your galfond bucks.
    whatsyourplay? said

how many hands does villain play preflop? You can treat his donkbet as an allin, so you need 40% equity to get it in. I don't see how you can / sould get away from this hand. He limp-called from EP. Unless you have a read ht his range contains many premium hands, I would shove the flop.
    We don't know at this moment how many hands he plays because its just his third hand. The question is, if there are that much hands besides Two Pair and the straight which bet 60€. On the other hand it wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to bump up his monster this way...

Thanks to the others, the common opinion is obv to get it in. Like shmed I wouldn't care to call if he looks somehow bluffy to me. But all in all it's not that important at this SPR.

the 2nd hand Is a standard CB or c/f hand since I'm not able to memorize hands after 3-4 hours Confused

PF:
    I (500€ left) raise UTG QQ to 18€ in the straddled pot. A ~20% VPIP kind of tight/passive shortstack-fish (55€ behind) calls in the SB and the very loose ~50% VPIP fish(500€) calls. The straddler played rather passive so far besides playing fast his monster.

Flop(54€):
    Kc Jc 9h
    both check. CB or not?
    As I have some equity with a queen and wouldn't fold anyway anything against SB and as I would expect some fishy player as the straddler call even worse than QQ or draws on this board I decided to CB 32€.
    Both call.

Turn(114€):
    3h
    SB all in with 20€ and the straddler calls. I made this ridiculous fold because I found the SB so strong as he never invested any money on the flop so far and then he comes out with this monster line Laugh
    Though I understand that theoretically I can never fold there, under no circumstances given the odds, so let's just focus on the CB or not decisionCool
    I wouldn't cbet this board (and I tend to over c-bet), as it's too likely to have hit either/both of these players' range. K, Two pair, FDs, SDs are all possible here and I think you'd be very lucky to be getting value from worse from both opponents (and you aren't getting better to fold either). I would check behind.

I know you don't want to discuss the turn, but didn't you just say that you wouldn't fold anything against the SB? I think the straddler shows great weakness here by just calling a blank turn, and you are getting about 7:1. I'll leave it there.

Constructive comment: probably easier for you to get feedback if you just stop the hand at the action point you want to discuss -- e.g. in this case stop after the flop and your opponents checking to you and ask what we would do, since that's the decision you'd like us to focus on.
    shmed said

I wouldn't cbet this board (and I tend to over c-bet), as it's too likely to have hit either/both of these players' range. K, Two pair, FDs, SDs are all possible here and I think you'd be very lucky to be getting value from worse from both opponents (and you aren't getting better to fold either). I would check behind.

I know you don't want to discuss the turn, but didn't you just say that you wouldn't fold anything against the SB? I think the straddler shows great weakness here by just calling a blank turn, and you are getting about 7:1. I'll leave it there.

Constructive comment: probably easier for you to get feedback if you just stop the hand at the action point you want to discuss -- e.g. in this case stop after the flop and your opponents checking to you and ask what we would do, since that's the decision you'd like us to focus on.
    Of course, I forgot. After all maybe I wanted subconsciously a comment on the turn :)

It's almost 8:1 on the turn and given the odds I have at least to call with my additional outs.

But would you cbet a board like K92ss here with a tight/strong image?
    I think objectively K92ss is a much better board to cbet, especially if you have spade yourself (there's an interesting discussion in the $3/5 three barrel bluff an A high board thread on this). You may also have the best hand but get value from spade draws.

However, I would think about not c-betting this board also for three reasons: 1) you are 3-handed which makes it a bit harder than HU. 2) Your QQ has a lot of show down value, and it may be a situation where you get better to fold, but any K will certainly call. 3) You are OOP so you can gather more information before acting.