Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 NLHE, Protecting equity with a weak hand

Techranman Posts: 11Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I am at what I would term a pretty standard table, pretty passive and call happy. Great game and we are in the midst of a round of straddles.

I am the straddle with K7o and check my option with 4 other limpers (in HJ, BTN, SB, and BB).

Flop ($25) 742 two spades.
SB bets 15, BB calls, Hero does ???

I honestly think I might have the best hand here unless someone has a set (I think two pair is unlikely as the table isn't that loose).
So I have the best hand, but I don't like a huge portion of the deck (any overs except a king, an 8 or 3, or any spade).

My hand isn't really going to increase in equity and I still have a player to act behind me. How do I play this? A raise seems like overrepping my hand in a rapidly bloating pot and there are a whole ton of cards that make my life miserable, but likewise, if I don't raise, I give a "free" card to the multiple draws. I only have $5 invested, is this a spot where I can make some sort of play and gain some EV or should I just fold the best hand and pick a different spot?

Comments

• whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    the decision highly depends on stack sizes. What are the stacks of all four opponents?
    You have two players left to act, BTW.
  • Techranman Posts: 11Member
    Oh yea, I cover all villains, who are all sitting on ~90bb except for HJ who has around 120bb.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    First, I think calling is the worst option. Both raising and folding are better IMO.
    I guess I would raise to 65-70, and if you get called by only one or two opponents, I would shove most turns (any non-spade, except a five or six). In case you get shoved on, it sucks, but you should mostly fold then.

This play is high variance and probably marginal +EV, so folding can't be a big mistake. But I think this is one of those plays which provides you with an aggressive image and therefore increases the likelihood you get paid later when you have a really strong hand. Just imagine a player behind you folds something like A7 or 99-88 (which he basically has to), and then sees how you double up against the SB who has a flush draw. He might give you action the rest of the session!
  • Techranman Posts: 11Member
    I agree, it was definitely a raise or fold spot. I think I can deal with the fact that it is marginal EV, I just wanted someone else to work out the details for me. I ended up folding and the hand never reached showdown. It was late in a session and I was headed home soon, so I just locked in my win. I wasn't really prepared for the variance mentally this time, but I'll remember this for next time I get into this situation, because this does happen once or so a session.
  • JerseyJay Posts: 181Subscriber
    good fold. I see no reason to get caught up in a hand like this.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I play these baby games a lot and as a little twist .. if you are in pos and its a limped pot and its a dry board with say K72 .. and you are on the button then I would definitely bet this on the flop.

I am even betting with complete air may times for a steal since so many players wont defend a small pot if they have nothing.. A few times an hour stealing a 5-10 pot and that can increase one's win rate rather nicely..

edit: I should have said that many players will fold even pairs like 66 or 55s because the pot is so small. Also draws as well. I have even heard players say " Meh the pot isnt that big" !

WW