Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Raising flop with top pr

wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
This may seem like an easy raise on flop to you but do u agree with me raising flop?:

I raise highjack w Q10o. 3 callers behind and BB calls. Flop comes 10c 3d 7d . BB donks into me for 2/3 pot. I raise pot. Everyone else folds. She tanks than folds. I think this is a good raise and not an overplay because she could put me on a flush draw #1 and #2 I don’t want to give the people who are on a flush draw behind me a good price which I’ll do if I just flat call. Being that she donked into me though I’m guessing she had a weak 10 and I could’ve gotten more value if I flat called because she could’ve put me on a flush draw and then would’ve bet the turn. What do you do here? I’m trying to raise more on the flop in certain situations because no one seems to ever raise the flop in the games I play in.

Comments

• shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    I think raise-folding is fine. Bart actually discusses this at the end of this week's podcast.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    FWIW, I agree with raising the flop here.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    I really like raising with good top pair hands when opponents expect you to be raising a very polarized range. It can extract a lot of value from some pretty weak hands when folks put you on a monster or nothing since bottom pair can beat nothing.

For this reason, I often like to include AK in my pre flop calling range where people would normally expect a 3bet. This lets me hit top pair, play it like a set, and get value from worse.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    Also, aggression really gets under people's skin and has the benefit of generating future value and building a good image.
  • I don't think you can say raise or call without more info.

Stack sizes? Reads on player? Players behind? How can we have 3 calls behind from the HJ?

If she's the type that's going to fold JT here to a raise, I don't think it's always a clear cut raise here. It also depends on the players behind - are they super loose? Fit or fold? Etc.
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    PokerIsFrustrating said

I don't think you can say raise or call without more info.

Stack sizes? Reads on player? Players behind? How can we have 3 calls behind from the HJ?

If she's the type that's going to fold JT here to a raise, I don't think it's always a clear cut raise here. It also depends on the players behind - are they super loose? Fit or fold? Etc.
    Fit or fold for the most part. Bart mentioned to me he likes the raise if there are a few people in behind me otherwise flat. DIdn't really get a more detailed explanation as to why on his email. I think most people in low limit games who dont see flop raises ever (thats the case in detroit where I play) you get a lot of credit for raising. As you go up that changes of course since people knwo you could be on a draw. I think she folds J10 BUT I didn't want to allow draws in behind me getting a great price of most likely 4-1 if I flat. The more I think abotu it I wonder if I should flat if shes not calling w J10 or a weaker J since she'll most likely put me on a draw. If the flush comes in however on the turn w 4 people to the flop and 2nd to act it puts me in a tough spot. IMO most donk betting is top pr weak kicker, esp on a drawy board or maybe a draw.
  • edog Posts: 43Member
    There are several things I like to figure out as fast as possible when I play, (1) PF raising ranges, (2) who slow plays, (3) who will bet the flop with a draw, (4) who will peel on the flop with a gut shot or any pair. Whether to raise or not on the flop as usual depends.

I wonder if attempting to give draws the wrong price is always correct. Even if a draw gets the right price against your made hand your EV is usually still positive because of the dead money in the pot. Does protecting your stack sometimes outweigh charging draws?

In the hand being discussed every turn card except a non-diamond deuce (3), queen (2) or ten (1) potentially completes a draw or improves someone to trips or an over pair. If I thought a flop raise would fold out the players behind us and get the hand heads up, I would probably raise. Otherwise, I really try to avoid building big pots OOP on a draw heavy board with medium top pair good kicker.