Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Increasing Focus at the Table

JohnnyBest Posts: 33Subscriber
edited October 2014 in Poker Goals and Challenges
Dear Community,

After listening to CLP Podcast 104: Zoned In, I thought I would share some information about developing your focus. By focus, I mean the ability to pay attention and remember what is happening in a hand and at the table. The concentration here is on your short-term memory and fluid intelligence. There have been many papers written in academic psychology journals that tout the benefits of dual N-back training to increase your intelligence and short-term memory. An introduction to this can be found in the following paper:

Improving fluid intelligence with training on working memory" by Susanne M. Jaeggi, Martin Buschkuehl, John Jonides, and Walter J. Perrig

There are numerous free training apps on the market, as well as training through Lumosity. I believe that dual N-back training for 20 to 30 minutes a day can definitely increase your short-term memory and fluid intelligence. This will lead to increased focus at the tables. This would be especially useful for stud games. Here, knowing the folded up-cards and the previous streets actions is extremely important. Furthermore, it may be useful to develop a poker player centered dual N-back app. This would involve displaying cards or betting amounts and then asking the user if they recall the previous N cards or bets. This may be an interesting project for myself, if I have the time...

Anyways, I hope this peaks your interest in N-back training. Please search on Google for other academic papers as well as open source N-back apps. Hopefully, with dedicated training, this can improve your focus at the tables. I know it has helped me.

- John

Comments