Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Two men tryout for a baseball team

workinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
edited November 2014 in Poker Goals and Challenges
I was watching a TV program and this little parable game up:

Two men are trying out for a position on a baseball team. The coach decides to hire whichever one can run from home base to first base the quickest. They both run it at the exact same speed except one guy runs with perfect form. Which one should the coach hire? The answer is the guy without perfect form since once his form is improved, he will outrun the other player.

I feel like this quip applies to my game now. I'm posting good results and making a lot of good plays and getting myself into good spots but my form definitely needs improvement. I'm trying to start to target those areas beginning with the most common or largest leaks and working my way down from there. currently one leak is when I fail to listen to that inner voice on the river, facing a raise or a bet, that KNOWS I'm beat. Usually, this occurs when villain only had a couple outs to beat me but it's so obvious I'm beat. Tonight villain hit a Jack on the river to fill up vs my turned flush. The way he played the hand screamed JJ and yet when he raised my river bet, I tanked and made the call, even calling out his hand. so, correcting this particular leak will be my aim and when I am to the point where I feel I am doing a better job of not paying of those river bets, I'll be moving on to my next leak.

Comments

• neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    being honest with yourself is important and really hard to do at times but necessary to improve.

My biggest leak right now and one that I thought I had under control is trying to outplay people in every pot i get involved in. Instead of just folding or giving up I have been taking the very low chance of happening line and trying to get people to fold made hands. In my attempt to run a more LAG game at 1/3 for me has put me in a mini slump. But like you wrote, I'm aware of whats going on and Im actively trying to improve like you as well.

Good luck man, I know you are trying to make the transition to being a full time player and sounds like you are on your way.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    A couple thots on the baseball tryouts:
    - if these are grown men trying out for a baseball team, they are less likely to be able to successfully modify their running form.
    - the guy with incorrect form is more likely to injure himself either due to chronic overuse / stress on joints , or due to a one time severe injury event (ie, torn ligament or other soft tissue damage, or broken ankle, etc).

So I'm not so sure the clear cut choice is the guy with an ingrained bad habit.
    ^^^

chili with the technical breakdown of an inspirational analogy.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
    chili- well you don't miss or make what you didn't do so technically your neutral in shots you don't take.
    edited November 2014
    Exactly.
    :)
    (But I would argue you miss infinity % of the shots you don't take)
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    It doesn't matter which player you take if you're only looking at running form as neither is likely to run faster. The player with the bad form is more likely to run worse after changing his mechanics than run quicker.

What matters are the other intangibles that will make one player better than the other. And if the coach is smart that is what he/she will make his decision on.
  • MikeG Posts: 989Subscriber
    I'd take the player with perfect form also.

But this isn't about baseball players. It's about poker. I'm going to use the analogy, though: as Mr Imperfect Form tries to change his form, his speed will actually slow for a time and he will even make base-running mistakes he never would have made before. specifically because he is thinking of his running form.
    This is analogous to your poker. As people begin to incorporate new dynamics into their game, it can actually hurt their winrate in the short run, so be aware of this.

That said, improvement is important and I think your strategy of identifying one leak at a time and working on that is good. Starting with most expensive/most frequent is a good way to go about that. Finding folds on rivers when passive player become aggressive is definitely an important one!
    Haha I think he's trying to make a point about potential not an actual comparison of 2 types of players.
  • workinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    Neverlearn: was it you that Bart was alluding to in his Nov card player article:
    I have one young, female poker pro... that constantly "out levels" herself.
    Haha. Neverlearn is not a girl! I can vouch.
    He was talking about untreatableFPS.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    workinghard said:
    Neverlearn: was it you that Bart was alluding to in his Nov card player article:
    I have one young, female poker pro... that constantly "out levels" herself.
    lol.. That HAS to be claire.. ha ha...

ww