Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

QQ Facing Ace Turn - Role Reversal

GusFritschie Posts: 102Subscriber
edited December 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5 MD Live - In this hand the villain is me. I am looking for input to both the hero's play and the villain.

Effective stacks about $600, villain (me) covers.

1 limper and villain in late posistion raises to $25, CO calls, and hero on the button makes is $85 with Q Q

Folds to villain who thinks for a 10 seconds or so and calls the raise, CO folds. Pot preflop= $200.

Flop is J 5 7

Villain checks to hero and hero bets $125. Villain thinks for a 20 or so seconds and calls. Pot= $450 and hero has about $400 left.

Turn is A

Villain thinks for about 30 seconds and bets $400 putting hero all-in. What is hero's play? What do we put villain on? No real history between either player, hero is a reg (hello kitty for those that play at Live) villain is just a casual player (maybe once a month).

Comments

• AJD804AJD804 Posts: 184Subscriber
    I think we need a little more info. Has the hero or villian shown anything? And if so how did the betting go? How long have both been sitting at the table and what are their images? Without any more info, Im guessing that hand is polarized here. It is either a flopped set or AJ, or its nothing and he is just trying to push us off the hand. Of course now that I think about it, why would the villian bet with AJ here? The A is likely to scare someone off with KK or QQ, which is a good part of a random player's 3 betting range. With all of that said, I would still like more info
  • GusFritschie Posts: 102Subscriber
    Villain and hero have been playing together for about 2 hours or so. Villain image is tight, solid (IMO) while hero is stuck one buyin. Villain saw him call $125 on the turn with just a gutshot and get there. Hero has been agressive raising in posistion and c-betting most flops. While hero and villain have only played a few times in the past hero assumes most view him as a solid, winning reg.
  • AJD804AJD804 Posts: 184Subscriber
    Having had a little time to think, the turn shove by the villian makes no sense to me at all. I cant think of a hand that he could have that he would bet like this and also have us beat. Would he take this line with at flopped set? I dont think so, because he can just c/r the turn and accomplish the same thing. That would also most likely get a call out of the hero as opposed to just shoving here. I think Im calling here with QQ and living with the results.
  • luckyspewy Posts: 299Member
    Call
    Would he take this line with at flopped set? I dont think so, because he can just c/r the turn and accomplish the same thing.
    What if villian feared the turn would check through? Could this be reason for the villain to lead the tun with his value hands (i.e. 2 pair, sets)? If villain did not lead I assume hero bets turn but not really deep enough to bet-fold? Villain called flop so he probably has something a J, set, maybe same hand. Or is this a check on the tun with QQ if villain did not lead and call the river?
    I (the villain) had QJ I called the flop as I felt hero would be betting no matter. When I picked up spade draw I felt I might have the best hand and might be able to get him to fold better. How bad is my turn bet there? He made a good read and told me he didn't think I would have played an A or 2 pair or better like that.
  • luckyspewy Posts: 299Member
    Your bet looks exactly like you're trying to get him to fold. Would you pla AJ this way? If not, then you probably shouldn't play s bluff this way. Why did you turn qj into a bluff? I think c/c is better
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    edited December 2014
    Agree that V's betting line makes no sense.

BTN has shown nothing but aggression... V should expect a bet on the turn.
    If V had an A, he can check/raise the turn... or if it gets checked thru - bet the river.
    Why is V now so excited about betting into Hero?
    It looks more like he's trying to rep the A to steal the pot then value-betting to build a pot. Besides, Hero only has a psb left anyway... why is v so anxious to get it in and possibly scare off Hero?

If V had a set or 2-pair on the flop, he could have check/raised then. Or waited for another bet on the turn.

If I'm Hero on button, I'm calling 100% of the time. If V floated AK or AQ or overplayed AJ - then I'm paying him off. But it looks much more bluffy than believable.