Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

QQ out of position, 5 players to flop.

Jseeley Posts: 48Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/2 Venetian
$350 effective
Have never played with villain, older middle eastern guy. Haven't seen him play too many hands.

Hero opens UTG to $10 with 2 red queens.
4 callers. Villain is to my immediate left.
($50)
flop comes 742 Rainbow
Hero bets $35
Villain calls and all others fold.
($140)
Turn is a 3, bringing back door clubs.
Hero checks and villain bets $100
Hero?

Now In hindsight I think the turn is definitely a bet/fold. I just felt his range was very strong given that he called me on the flop with 3 people behind. He may have an overpair here and based on the way I played it think he is good.
Should I: Call with the intention of check/folding river, I think if he has 88-JJ he will check back river. Or if we do think this is an overpair I could call and stick the rest in on river, I cant see most players finding a fold here with over pair once they have money invested in pot.

Comments

• Mike Posts: 371Member
    you have under repped your hand a ton. Because you checked the turn i think you have to call down. Id imagine he would be betting any pair on the turn and still a whole ton of shit on the river.

I think the best way to move forward from this point is to call the turn and vbet a lot of rivers. Probably any card.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Like you mentioned, you screwed up by not betting the turn.

Btw, it's $120 on the turn, not $140, so his bet of $100 is a huge bet. Without history, I would lean towards the conservative side and fold just due to sizing until I get reads on this player.

But, If he's an older middle eastern guy, not to be racist, he probably has an above average bluffing frequency and may be the type to randomly stab because you checked a board that isn't supposed to hit your range. If he's bluffing the turn, I doubt he's going to stop on the river. So decide whether you want to hero off two big bets on the turn and river. Depending on how aggro is, there are times when it can be a profitable c/c c/c

And bet the turn next time
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    Yeah, I'll echo the thoughts about betting the turn. Yes, you are under-repping your hand by checking turn, but the villian's bet sizing scares me a bit here. I would proceed with caution by calling the turn and most likely folding to a river shove, which it looks like he is setting up. As a live player, it feels like he has a big hand here with the sizing. Of course if my read is off and he is just betting his 99 (or similar) cuz u checked , then we'll probably get a free showdown by calling turn.
  • Bet/fold turn. As played, call and fold to river ship for reasons chilidog stated.
  • Mike said

you have under repped your hand a ton. Because you checked the turn i think you have to call down. Id imagine he would be betting any pair on the turn and still a whole ton of shit on the river.

I think the best way to move forward from this point is to call the turn and vbet a lot of rivers. Probably any card.
    Maybe he bluffs, like Claire says, but I doubt it. But there is no way this guy is betting a lesser hand for value on the river. It sucks that the stacks are so awkward.

As played I usually bet-fold the turn. If I check called, barring some crazy reads, I'd planning on c/f river. With deeper stacks you can definitely bet 1/3-1/2 pot-fold river if turn was played as c/c.

Bart