Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flopping bottom set in a limped pot

JustinEnger Posts: 4Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
In my last 2 sessions I have flopped bottom set from the big blind in a 2/5 game 3 times. My normal line is bet 60 percent pot on the flop, 80 percent pot on turn, and probably the same on the river. My question comes, when the top card on the flop pairs on the turn (which happened in all 3 instances). Is it better to C/R turn or bet smaller on the turn to induce a raise from an opponent with trips? The reason I ask is in all 3 instances someone had top pair on the flop that turned into trips on the turn. I only got raised in 1 of the 3 instances, the last time my opponent had A10 on a 4, 10, 9, 10, 2 no flush draw board and he just calls me down. I think part of the reason for this is that I used to be a spaz and would bluff too often, I also look to be in my early 20's. What do you guys think about alternative lines in this spot other than bet large on all 3 streets?

Comments

• WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    Taking a Bet, Bet, Bet line is most optimal in these situations IMO. You lose too much value if any street gets checked through, or if Villian just calls your small turn bet when you try to induce a raise. In a limped pot, I would probably go pot, pot, overbet. Top trips is never folding.

Check raising the turn after leading the flop just looks so strong that, if your opponent doesn't have top trips, he's probably folding. If he is any good, he's probably even fold an overpair in that situation (or he should)
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    just bet all 3 streets. If you wanna get more money in just pot it. Trips is never folding. Just bomb away. If you are really deep just overbet turn and river a bit. Generally bet more on the flop though. If they are calling a samller bet they will call a bigger one.
  • edog Posts: 43Member
    Bet, bet, bet. It is really important to get at least the third street of value, since it typically doubles your profit for the hand.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    How can you guys answer this broad question without knowing any of the other factors of the hand?
    - Stack sizes?
    - Number of players in the hand?
    - Profile of players involved
    - board texture?
    - Heros image?

A bet, bet, bet line could be optimal in some scenarios, but to say it's the best line overall is just generalizing way too much IMO.
    Just one example: if stacks are really deep and we have a poor image, it could be WAY better to check-raise on flop or turn (or maybe even twice!) in order to build the pot. We will loose some value when villain folds, but gain much more in those cases he has a hand.

It just depends on too many variables to give a one fits all answer. If poker was that easy, everybody would be successful at it.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I'm gonna bookmark this thread to refer to when I start flopping sets.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    Poker is about incomplete information. You make the best decision given the information you have.

With what information we were given by OP the best line to take is a bet bet bet line.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    chilidog said

I'm gonna bookmark this thread to refer to when I start flopping sets.
    Wink
    Mike said

Poker is about incomplete information. You make the best decision given the information you have.

With what information we were given by OP the best line to take is a bet bet bet line.
    From reading this thread one can get the impression that there's one optimal line which everyone should apply every time when flopping a set in a limped pot. My opinion is that this is just not the right way to think about poker. This approach will restrict you from improving your decision making process and from growing as a player..

It is true that in poker, we have to decide based on what information we have. So, with the information given by OP, it would be more helpful IMO to say something like "With stack sizes below 100BB and several players in the hand, a bet-bet-bet line is often the best line. When stacks become significantly deeper, a check-rais on the flop or turn can become the better play, because we really want to maximize the value in those cases when somebody has a hand. Also, if we have a bad image (villain actually mentioned that he has a bluffy image!) or a suspicious player in the hand, check-raising or possibly overbetting can be a better alternative."
  • PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    I actually had a guy fold trips face up on the river to me when I bet/bet/bet the other day which really shocked me. Something like t74t6.

But its still better imo to bet because if you check/raise you give the guy an excuse to fold trips with a weak kicker while usually they won't.

Inducer bets are super player specific, but most guys simply won't raise and if they are competent enough to raise for value they might actually be able to fold to raises.
  • Must be nice!
  • I don't like bet leading small on the turn. This is not going to induce a raise as much as you think. If the stack sizes are shallow I don't mind a check on the turn as someone is almost always going to bet trips. You also give a free card to those going for BS draws and at this level they wont fold, even to a pot size shove on the river. I also like craising the turn with deeper stacks juts to get more money in the pot. Like Whats said, every situation in poker is different. But, you can never go wrong by bet bet betting--especially against say a 80BB stack in a limped pot.

Bart