Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How would you handle Phil Laak's overbets to the pot?

dapperdave Posts: 26Member
edited November -1 in Broadcasted Poker
For those of you that watch yesterday's (02/27/2013) special addition of Live at the Bike-if you were on the table with Phil Laak:

How would you adjust to his play?

Comments

• UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I would start by avoiding pots against him ;)

You have to fold rivers when you have bluff catchers more frequently because you're getting worse odds to call. There's no way around that.

I guess you can trap him when you have a nutty hand sometimes and try to induce him to bet really big on the river by underrepping your hand.

Playing optimally against frequent large river bets is probably one of my weaknesses. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about it too much in most of the games I play.
  • Dave,

This situation is really difficult. You have a good player that is splashing around, playing lower then he is accustom to. I would probably raise some of his cbets light as he wasnt prone to continue on with marginal holdings and 3 bet him more preflop since he was opening way more than anyone at the table.

Bart
  • It's obviously harder to notice this when you're in the game- as opposed to watching it online and seeing the hole cards- but I was pretty surprised at how wide Ozzy and Little let Laak get away with opening preflop. Laak was playing somewhere around a 66/34 and Ozzy/Little really never opened up their 3b range. Made for a very comfortable position on the table as far as Laak was concerned.