Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Dominated and Draw comes in

wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Here's another interesting hand from last night and would like to know people's opinions. I'd like to know people's opinions with A. The stack size i have and B. If I was a lot deeper. If I was deeper I wonder if I should've bet the turn but than what do I do on the river? The fact that he checked back the turn says he has a high diamond so do I bet the river? I'm trying not to be results oriented to the fact he had me crushed.

F: I chked to the raiser and called. Think thats ok. Maybe couldve raised.
T: I pick up K high flush draw. I chk. I think if I bet only better is calling. I guess a high diamond will call. I think Bart would say donk turn. Maybe I should've but if I'm deep (if case scenario) should'nt I pot control w my K of diamonds? I think so. In this case maybe I should've bet the turn.
R: Do I chk call river vs lead? Not sure I can fold to a river bet here since it went chk chk on the turn.

Ok here's the hand. I welcome any feedback:

Merge, $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $71 (35.5 bb)
SB: $214.10 (107.1 bb)
Hero (BB): $80 (40 bb)
UTG+1: $266.64 (133.3 bb)
UTG+2: $179.69 (89.8 bb)
MP1: $147.97 (74 bb)
MP2: $292.27 (146.1 bb)
MP3: $211.38 (105.7 bb)
CO: $66.80 (33.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Kd Qs
CO posts BB OOP, 5 folds, CO raises to $8, BTN folds, SB calls $7, Hero calls $6

Flop: ($24) 2s Td Qd (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $18, SB folds, Hero calls $18

Turn: ($60) 3d (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($60) 9c (2 players)
Hero bets $40, CO calls $40

Results: $140 pot ($3 rake)
Final Board: 2s Td Qd 3d 9c
Hero showed Kd Qs and lost (-$66 net)
CO showed Ad Qc and won $137 ($71 net)

Comments

• WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    As played: I think that your hand was face up after the turn. After you call the flop, your hand is top pair or a draw almost always. Once you check the turn, you don't have a flush. I guess you could have KJ there, but are you calling KJo OOP to a 4x raise (KJdd is getting it in on the turn)? If you are going to go with top pair good kicker, why not just shove it in on the turn? You have less than a pot sized bet left, and you want max fold equity. Once you shove on the river, Villian is getting 2.5/1 on a call, so only has to be good less than 30% of the time, and you a repping the nuts or top pair. The only reasonable hand that he loses to is KJ, and there are plenty of hands that he beats.

If deeper: 3bet pre-flop. Lead most flops, fold if 4bet. Turn depends on what happens on the flop. On this exact flop, I would set my flop lead up for a turn jam, especially given that turn card.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    With your stack size you basically ant play any hands past the flop. You should be 3b here and getting it in. If you wanna get better at poker play at least 100bb deep. Stop wasting your time with this short stack bullshit
  • edog Posts: 43Member
    wildncrazyguy - AKA Dan VanDyke said
    Flop: ($24) 2s Td Qd (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $18, SB folds, Hero calls $18
    I think the decision for the hand is either preflop or on the flop. If I thought the villain had a tight preflop raising range, I would probably fold preflop and avoid the uncertainty of being OOP and not knowing if I am good when I hit my hand.

If I thought the villain was opening a wide range and a consistent c-better, I would probably check raise all-in on the flop trying to get value from his draws and possibly calls from worse. If I am beat, there pretty much is no way to win the hand or avoid losing the remaining $40 yet to be bet. The villain starts the hand with only 33 BBs, after he bets the flop he will probably commit to calling off $40 into a pot of $100 with his draws. Therefore, if I am going with the hand I would take the line of check raising the flop.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    The crux of this hand comes down to the pre-flop play but's very hard to provide detailed analysis without any sort of reads on the other players in the hand. Based on the player type, this could either be a call, fold, or 3bet. Given that the cutoff both posted, bought in so shallow, and then opened to a terrible sizing given his stack depth, chances are he's not a very good player. Is he brand new at the table or had he just been sitting out for a while?

On the flop I think the best line by far is to just check-raise all-in since stacks are so obscenely short.
  • JerseyJay Posts: 181Subscriber
    Mike said

With your stack size you basically ant play any hands past the flop. You should be 3b here and getting it in. If you wanna get better at poker play at least 100bb deep. Stop wasting your time with this short stack bullshit
    This, but you basically took a passive line here. The optimal line here is villain dependant. Your line is optimal againts lags, who will be opening wide and barreling for your entire stack, so you just hang in there with your top pair for forty bigs. However, i am assuming your villain is not a lag since you didnt mention it and there arent many at 1-2. Therefore, shoving flop is best to get value from draws and protect you equity. If you call from blinds with kq w 40 bigs, youll need to deal with getting owned by kickers and overpairs some of the time, especially against tight opponents.