Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Limon Show No.51: Old Cigars are the Same as Smoked Swordfish

BartBart Posts: 5,955AdministratorLeadPro
edited January 2015 in The Limon Show podcast
In this episode Limon states that he is in a bit of a blasé state. His mental haziness then takes a call form a Calgary subscriber asking about an old, Cuban sealed box of cigars and whether or not they are still good. Limon fakes his way through the situation then calls in a real expert on high grade tobacco, the CLP administrator. He poo-poos the expert's opinion and compares an old, ratty cigar to smoked swordfish.

Limon then goes on to brag about a ridiculous big bet O8 hand where he soul owned a pot vs 2 players in Big O with AA3KTQ on a 578r board and scooped because he was "playing the player".

After this monstrosity of a hand he then discusses one of the least complex poker games in poker, limit holdem.

Episode posts at 2PM PT.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/old-cigars-are-the-same-as-smoked-swordfish

Tagged:

Comments

• AbeLimonAbeLimon Posts: 860Member
    Bart said:

Limon then goes on to brag about a ridiculous big bet O8 hand where he soul owned a pot vs 2 players in Big O with AA3KTQ on a 578r board and scooped because he was "playing the player".

haha. you got a front row seat to that play. way above your paygrade. If you could see what i see your head would explode.
  • UCDLaCrosse Posts: 10Subscriber
    I know limit isn't complex Bart, I just wanted to pick Limon's brain. next week on the show I will call in and ask something that's completely degenerate and hilarious but not poker related.
  • iLikeCaliDonksiLikeCaliDonks Posts: 932Troll
    Poker is complex period anyone who thinks otherwise doesnt really know how to play.
  • DonkieRon Posts: 577Subscriber
    iLikeCaliDonks said:
    Poker is complex period anyone who thinks otherwise doesnt really know how to play.
    Yeah you suck Bart!!!!
    FWIW you can play for 20 years and still dont know how to play.
    by 1TDF
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,402Subscriber
    Or you can be broke for 20 years and never play.
  • PocketAceTrader782 Posts: 441Subscriber
    ILCD VS the Hammah. I Have my bet in with Limon. Lets make it happen!
  • BartBart Posts: 5,955AdministratorLeadPro
    edited January 2015
    UCDLaCrosse said:
    I know limit isn't complex Bart, I just wanted to pick Limon's brain. next week on the show I will call in and ask something that's completely degenerate and hilarious but not poker related.
    Hey Julien--

I was just ribbing Limon is all. I actually don't feel that way. However if you are the caller that talked about the JJ hand I think you definitely misinterpreted some of the stuff I said about starting hands pf in LHE.

Implied odds absolutely go way down and I think it is a big mistake to cold call hands that we think of as good in NLHE like 87s or small pocket pairs especially if the hands mostly are headsup. But even using the 15x rule you can see that if I guy raises to $40 at $20-$40 and three or more people call ahead of you there is a good chance that you would win $600 by the end of the hand if you set mine.

Suited connectors are a different animal because if we flop a draw we are almost always go to be priced in to seeing the river due to the nature of the capped betting. I'm not a limit holdem expert by any means but I still think it would be a mistake to call on the button with a hand like 6 7 after an early position open and a few calls. LHE is a showdown game and a pair of 7s is unlikely to be best multiway at the end. You also have very little ability to win a non show-down pot dealing with so many people in the hand.

Bart
  • totsdtftotsdtf Posts: 156Subscriber
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm psychological ascendency.

MMMMMMMMMMM
  • AdministratorAdministrator Posts: 747Administrator
    edited January 2015
    Limon is on drugs if he thinks those cigars are going to be anything but a pale shadow of their former self.

Your question reminded me of an experience I had a few years ago in trying to bring a cigar back to life. My brother had gifted me a cigar on his wedding day, a supposedly good cigar from the 90s heydays, but I saved it instead of smoking it (I think it may have been called a King James, but don't remember for sure). Here is the email that I sent to my brother about my experience with that well-aged smoke:

I just tried smoking that cigar you gave me long, long ago, the one I let age in my sock drawer for the past 9 or so years. I found it one day and placed it in the humidor in attempt to bring it back to life. After 3 months, I took the cello off and let it continue to gently come back into being, slowly absorbing moisture in hopes of bringing it up to optimum level. Tonight, I was satisfied that after nearly a year of sleeping in the humidor, it was as good as it’s going to get. It started off tasting very good, may have detected a note of almonds with a touch of something else I couldn’t quite place, different than any other cigar I’ve tried. The burn was a little weird, but taste was pretty good. After about an inch though, I started yacking. I gave it a few more puffs and nearly blew chow so I tossed it in the yard. I was drinking a Guinness from the bottle, but couldn’t taste it anymore so I went in and tried to rinse my mouth out. Water just enhanced the nasty flavors and I yacked again, then brushed my teeth. Still very nasty, and I still can’t taste the beer. I realized that the neighbor’s dog might eat the cigar and die so I went and buried it out under the giant oak tree and brushed my teeth again. Still yacking. The more I thought about it, the more scared I got that the buried cigar might leach it’s poison into the soil and kill the tree so I dug it back up and tried to flush it down the toilet. I flushed 3 times but the dang thing just kept swirling around and wouldn’t go down the drain. I think it’s cursed. I brushed my teeth again, gargled twice with Listerine then took the cigar and threw it into our neighborhood sewer pump station vent – it’s now safely gone. I’m still yacking and can’t get the nasty taste out of my mouth, tastes like I licked out one of dad’s old ash trays – going to go lick the truck tires to see if that helps.

Moral of the story, if a cigar sleeps in a sock drawer for 9 or so years, it ain’t sleeping, it’s DEAD and should be mulched ASAP!
    http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigaradvisor/saving-dry-cigars/

Much of the flavor in a cigar comes from the oils in the tobacco. When these oils are allowed to evaporate, any other moisture in the cigar will go with it. Even if you are able to revive the cigars in question, they may lose some or all of their natural bouquet, so, you’ve been warned.
    calgary poker guy? are we gonna do thissssssssssssssss!
  • khalwatkhalwat Posts: 997Subscriber
    edited January 2015
    AbeLimon said:
    calgary poker guy? are we gonna do thissssssssssssssss!
    When you smoke it, use this handy tasting chart I created a few years ago, Abe:
    600 x 800 - 90K
  • totsdtftotsdtf Posts: 156Subscriber
    edited January 2015
    is the swordfish part happening too? CalgaryPokerGuy, you should refuse to send the cigars unless limon eats the swordfish and we get video

it all comes down to you Calgary Poker guy
  • MikeG Posts: 989Subscriber
    Sounded like Abe was going to give sage LHE advice but caller wanted to talk about folding JJ to a limp :(
    by 1Rinchon
  • MikeG Posts: 989Subscriber
    edited January 2015
    "That's dumber than polarized calling range."
  • DonkieRon Posts: 577Subscriber
    AbeLimon said:
    Bart said:

haha. you got a front row seat to that play. way above your paygrade. If you could see what i see your head would explode.
    Too Funny!!!!! Love the needles and banter between you two. Fucking Bart cackle cackle.
    768 x 1024 - 117K
    DonkieRon said:

Too Funny!!!!! Love the needles and banter between you two. Fucking Bart cackle cackle.
    hilarious pic
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,857Subscriber
    MikeG said:
    Sounded like Abe was going to give sage LHE advice but caller wanted to talk about folding JJ to a limp :(
    yea my mind and body were ready and then the guy folded pre to a 2 bet from EP.
  • snapper35 Posts: 243Subscriber
    Why dont you play spades until you get a roll-bawhahaha
    fucking insta classic
    LMFAO, seriously Limon is my hero. I learned early the real business model. Limon 2k SHIET. Glad he has his own sub forum.

I didn't understand limons playing style at first. He was against 3betting light and all this new jargon. Now I understand his style in theory just not on the surface.

I named his style "Make a hand poker". lol.

I really dont know how to play spades. Cards to me has always been boring and means your old. As you all know Im cut from a different cloth. I wanted to learn this game to make a living I haven't done that yet. But its about gaming and money for mesounds aawesome.
    by 1totsdtf