Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Do I ever have any fold equity in this spot?

DRAGON Posts: 18Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5 NL 425 effective
I raise KcTc to 25 over one limper, button calls, limper calls.
Flop Qd5c2c (82)
Limper checks, I bet 65, button raises to 145, limper folds.

Villian now has 255 back and I think his range is mostly AQ, 55, 22, maybe KQ. I don't think he has too many flush draws in his range with this small raise sizing. He is new to the table so no reads. Although this looks like a simple "get it in spot," upon reviewing the math after my session I have just slightly less equity than needed to make the play breakeven (assuming I have no fold equity). I shipped, villian called rather quickly. I ended up making my flush but I am wondering how I could have played the hand differently to allow for a +ev scenario, as opposed to -ev/breakeven spot. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    No. You do not have fold equity with these effective stacks sizes.
    As terrible as it feels, i think you should peel the c/r on the flop (3:1 direct odds and probable future value if you make a hand). there are a lot of cards that give you more equity, whether that's a pair+SD or SD+FD. once you call the c/r, there is also the possibility that the villian slows down and/or underbets his hand on the turn, especially the one pair Qx hands may slow down a bit. but when you ship on the flop, he's almost never folding and you have about 44% equity vs. his calling range.
  • PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    I have to agree. Occasionally you will run into players that raise/fold qk or something, but usually they won't fold. If they are raising an they'll often check the turn and you get a free card.

You can also get away from it if the board pairs and villain ships it.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    Btw- when I mentioned picking up equity on be turn, I was saying adding either a pair or a straight draw to the flush draw that you had on the flop. Don't think it came out right earlier.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    Depends on how often you play with these players. There is something to be said about balance in this spot. Less than 100bb deep i will almost always get in FD+something (overcards, gutshot) because the equity in the hand when called is very close plus you will get more action when you do the same thing with a set/overpair. You may take a bit of a loss in the equity in this specific spot but when you flop huge it will skyrocket and people wont fold because you could have a draw.