Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

4 way all in PF

Mike Posts: 371Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1-2 200 effective.

New guy comes to the table and is talking about how he just won the bad beat jackpot for 25k earlier in the day. One of his buddies says that he should raise blind then and he says he will but hes utg+1 and has to wait for UTg to act. UTG is his freind.

UTG opens to $4
UTG+1 raises to $10 blind.
CO calls the 10.
Im in sb with 88 and call.
UTG shoves for $120.
UTG+1 says he has to look at his cards now. He looks thinks for a minute then shoves in for $200.
CO calls for 80ish.

Seems to me like this is a spot where its a snap call all day since if i beat the blind hand i almost break even on the hand and have a freeroll vs the other 2 villains right?

Comments

• chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I think it's a fold. 88 doesn't do well vs 3 all in players. Better if u can iso vs 1 player (especially the blind player) or have the opportunity to set mine vs. a strong range.
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    I don't think you are ever any good in this situation. Best case scenario would be a coin flip against both players, and even that scenario is highly unlikely.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    Pot is $434 and it is $190 for us to call. Getting ~2.25/1, we need to be good ~30% of the time. We'll flop a set 12.5% of the time.

"Blind" Hand says that he had to look at his cards. Did he? Even if he didn't, you are not basically breaking even in the hand for the side pot. You are calling $200 to potentially win a total side pot of $160. I assume that UTG and CO both looked at their hands as well?

This is a fold AINEC
  • edog Posts: 43Member
    I am folding because I am nitty about committing a buy-in in a probable close EV situation. Flopping a set is 12.5%, but you get to see two additional cards so the odds of making at least a set by the river are close to 20.5%. I think if you wanted to gamble a call is not horrible. There are two side pots and $160 in the HU side pot with the UTG+1.

I tend to be adverse to variance and would rather wait for or manufacture a better spot.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    edog said

Flopping a set is 12.5%, but you get to see two additional cards so the odds of making at least a set by the river are close to 20.5%.
    I don't know why I forgot that we will see all five. I'm chalking it up to long hours during audit season, and not the fact that I'm an idiot.

I'm still folding.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I think it's close and could possibly be slightly +EV. I would expect to be flipping against the UTG+1 guy often, but I am more worried about UTG and CO. What hand could UTG minraise and then reship with? How come CO does not reraise the UTG+1 guy but then calls all-in? This all doesn't make much sense. Since they both don't have a full buyin, I might talk myself into a call if I am in gamble mode at that day. It just sucks if one them has something like 99-JJ or possibly even better. Also, against 3 guys who all are guaranteed to see five cards, we won't win the hand every time we hit a set.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    The best way to answer this is try and decide what you think their ranges are and then run the equities while taking stack sizes into account. It seems unlikely that UTG+1 has you in bad shape *and* his stack is significantly deeper than the other players in the hand as you noted which means your matchup with him is the most important.

My gut feeling without running the numbers is that you are getting the right price to call here.

An alternate line to consider is 4betting yourself rather than calling off.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    I decided not to 4b PF because if the guy UTG actually had a hand i didnt wanna 4b and have him 5b and fold out the blind guy. My plan for the hand was to either play it post flop or call if the blind guy shoved.

As for the short stack limp calling off... players are just bad and get bored/fed up.

I ended up calling and was against AK from utg, J4 from utg+1(blind), and KT from 80 short stack.

I scooped then got berated for calling off $200 with only 88....
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    Mike said
    I scooped then got berated for calling off $200 with only 88....
    Very nice!
    Especially to make the other guys think you suck at poker is always a nice benefit. Laugh