Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

tptk on 3flush paired board vs small donk

PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/2 300 max nl.

Interested in your thoughts on the hand, but also if you see a lot of these smallish bets and what you think they usuaully mean.

Hero (350) pretty bad image. Had several premium hands where I raised pre and postflop either got raised by a passive player and had to fold or got donked into when scare cards hut and just folded. Image is probably like a 2 or 3 max.

Villain (200) younger guy with headphones but not a reg. Playing pretty passive pre and someone loose but not ridiculously loose. Mostly called post and hasn't really won a hand. Played with him for about an hour and honestly cannot remember a big spot he played or hand he showed down.

Villain (utg) limp
Hero(Mp) As Kc raises to 12
Button calls
Sb calls
Bb calls
Villain calls

5ways 55
Flop: 3d 3c 9d
Checks to hero, hero checks, button checks.

5 ways 55
Turn: 3d 3c 9d Ad
Checks to hero, hero bets 40, folds to villain, villain calls

2 ways 135
River: 3d 3c 9d Ad 5h
Villain donks 55, hero?

I've been seeing these small bets a lot. I don't think villain is bluffing here, but he could he block betting. The problem is he's so passive I suppose he might be block betting trip 3s because he's scared. You'd think if he had a small flush he'd either donk turn or check/raise instead of c/c leading because he'd be afraid of a diamond killling his hand.

Would he ever block bet a hand like aj or at with a diamond? Really hard to say.

I really wish he bet bigger which would make the decision eaiser. But can I find a fold here vs a passive player?

What do you expect his donking range to be in this kind of spot?

Comments

• bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    I think if villain had a flush he would lead turn rather than check/call. Same goes for having a 3 or a full house. I'd Definately call.

Edit: I'd expect to see Ax here a lot
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    std call. I dont imagine he would call the turn then donk river with anything that was strong on the turn... although im sure thats what he did here.

Im not sure how i feel about a little raise on the river to get value from all the Ax hands in his range.. just unsure how wide he would call this. In my games would be an easy raise since people will call min raises with 2nd pair on the river.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I usually don't cbet into a multiway pot with little equity, but on such an A+ board, I'd go ahead and fire. You often have to fire the turn as well, but it's really hard to call you down in villain's spot with anything other than a 3, which is very rare.
  • PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    I would normally cbet, although I might not double barrel when a 5 hits the turn because I don't know if I'm getting folds. I just had a terrible, terrible image so I didn't.

Obviously if he bet/3b's the river I'm folding. It was such a weird bet that it kind of threw me off and I didn't really consider raising either.
  • kdogmc Posts: 100Subscriber
    I think he has a flush. I think he check calls an A. And he's unsure if his flush is good with a paired board so he throws out
    a little blocking bet. He could also have and A9 hand but I don't get the call then bet. I just put him on something stronger here. Feels
    like a passive flush.
  • PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    It's been a little while so I'll post results. I don't think the results really matter so I'd welcome any other thoughts on the hand if you guys haven't commented yet.

I actually just called and villain had a baby flush. I don't remember exactly but something like 85dd. I really don't understand the play even from a fish perspective, and it ended up saving me money because I would have bet more than that if he had checked the river.

I don't only post hands I lost but I'm running really bad so I'm trying to figure out if some of these calls were bad.

When I thought back, I just find it hard to believe he takes this line with a weak ace. He could even have a hand like trip 3's that's making a ridiculous bet because he can't size properly.

Thanks for the comments. I feel better about the call. These small bets are seriously killing me lately though because if the guy just came out and bombed it I would just fold.