Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

fishpanic

Shark Posts: 108Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
play too loose when a fish is splashin around and is about to spew my money to other player before I get the chance to stack him. so I start playin terrible starting hands without position and initiative in raised pots and peel off flops wi marginal draws. spew a lot of passive dead money for the ones who have a stronger hand or are simply aggreessive out of donkness in those multiway pots that build around the fish.
end up loosin mohr mone and the fish puls off the ultimative hit&run sometime and I hate life. any one an idea to stop that fishpanic?

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Red

Your desire to win money should always be greater then your desire to play hands.. Thats what I use when I havent played a pot in hours and the fish are splashing chips around.. Small pots dont matter you want to win the big pots and therefore you have to be patient.

ww
  • LucasE Posts: 167Member
    This is as much a mental game question as a strategy question. A few things to keep in mind:

1. You say the fish has 'your money'. Get out of that mindset. 'Your money' is the chips in front of you and nothing else. Focusing on where 'your money' went when you got sucked out on is a toxic mindset - it's not going to improve your game when it happens and is likely going to worsen it.

2. Whenever you find yourself playing poorly (bad starting hands, OOP, passive, etc.) force yourself to get up. Take a break. Walk around. Go flirt with someone at the bar. Whatever. Just get out for a few minutes, collect yourself, and decide if you can sit back down and play your A+ game or if you need to leave. Every dollar you don't spew off is the same as a dollar won when you play well.

3. Most importantly (imo) is to remember that there will always be fish tomorrow. And the next day. And the next session. Never feel like you need to get 'that guy's' money right now, or that you need to get someone back, or that you just have to stack the fish this very next hand. Cash games flow into one another and if you aren't playing well, quit and come back tomorrow. Lots of money will be waiting for you.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    If you wanna play shit hands just raise a lot. If i have pos on a fish i will open every hand they limp in with. IDGAF what cards i have. the fish is gonna call and ch/fold the flop so often that its directly profitable to do so. And everyone else is forced to play face up vs you. you are better off playing J4o for a raise IP vs a fish than to limp QJs vs a fish.
  • napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
    After you do all of the things that Lucas suggested regarding your headspace, also consider this:

Get into good position against the fish and play pots with them NOT TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK, but simply because they're still a fish. Play liberally on your button, less liberally in the CO, and so on down the line... but get position on the fish and play pots with them as frequently as the table dynamics will allow.
  • napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
    (remember, play pots means with reasonable hands... we're not talking T2o unless you're WAY ahead of your game)