Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Who sets goals?

I set goals. When I go play, I have some goals set. Sure I want to play good and enjoy myself, but I sit down at the table to win. Period. Now I started a thread saying I wanted to win a certain amount and it seemed to be misunderstood as a challenge. Maybe my little goal was just too small, but that's just where I am right now.

Now there will be 1,000 of players trying to win millions. I am not even trying to do that. How much do you guys try to win a day?

Comments

• ACK Posts: 428Subscriber
    edited March 2015
    For 2015 my goal is to play at least 1500 hours with a minimum of $50/h.

I don't set goals relating to profit for one session or one month. It's just way too short term and you have very little control over a particular session, week or month.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    I'm only a rec player my goal is just to play a perfect session. It's hard to set a monetary goal cause sometimes we will be forced into bad spots because of us trying to reach our goal.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    last year I played 1000 hrs .. I won a good amount of money. I am a much better player now then at the beginning of 2014. I would like to play about the same amount of hours and win double..

The way I will achieve that isnt by saying I plan to win X each session. I plan to do that by getting into better and better spots.. spots I help make by playing better than my opponents.. thats all I can do one hand at a time.. over the long run it will add up..

as an example.. say you were at a great table and had made your 1000.. are you just going to get up and leave?? Say you left and you would have won say another 2000 by getting into a spot where you stacked another deepstack rec player...but you left cuz you made your goal?

Or on the flip side.. you have made $800 today.. but you are tired and not playing your A+ game.. end up calling a hand in a bad spot that cost you $500.. are you going to keep staying cuz you havent made your goal? You do and get into another bad spot and you are down $500.. what are you going to do then?

I have alot of experience and I STILL have a hard time leaving when I am down.. even now.. You dont have control over hand by hand outcomes.. let it go and concentrate on playing your best and getting into good situations.. you might have a wsop full of high ev spots that dont go your way and you lose.. are you going to be mad at yourself? you shouldnt

also I dont find the games there that good.. so I honestly dont think even $500/ day in a 2/5 game would be achievable over the 6 weeks..

ww
  • Jack7777 Posts: 655Subscriber
    I kind of get where you guys are coming from. I am a salesman. I set daily sales goals, weekly, monthly, yearly. I will just keep my trap shut about winning any specific amounts of money. I just get excited sometimes.

If you remember, I also said I was going to take some time off. Just relax and do some Vegas things. I'm a newb here and I am not a pro. So, sometimes what I say is different.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    There is no problem with setting goals of winning X amount. Just understand that it is a goal and not a rule per se and if you fall short don't beat yourself up. If setting a goal like this helps you, then do it.
  • FreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    The goal that for me is the most important is also the one I have the hardest time with - playing at least 30 hours a week.
  • RecreationalRogerRecreationalRoger Posts: 789Subscriber
    I think having a specific dollar goal is a bad idea. If you follow baseball, no player who hits a game winning homer ever said that was their goal. They always say something like they were up their looking for a good pitch to drive, and trusted their preparation in studying the opposing pitcher's tendencies and all the time they spend in the cage.
  • BradleyT Posts: 621SubscriberProfessional
    Set a goal of A-Game poker. Whether you win or lose in a session is not relevant. Your $30/hr win-rate will come in the form of some sessions being $100/hr and others being -$50/hr.
  • LOLGIRAFFELOLGIRAFFE Posts: 108BloggerSubscriber
    I don't look at hourly. I look at hours played and I look at my session reviews with how I played.

You can't control win rates. Focus on your play and your ability to be honest with your mistakes.

I use a product run good on my phone which allows me to set goals. I set hourly goals monthly depending on what I know of my upcoming month. I also track hours focused on the game away from the table and set goals for hours invested in that. Those are the goals I push for.

Well, that and winning flips.

-lg
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    it's hard to answer this question without sounding like a jerk, but poker and goal-setting go together about as well as oil and water...

as limon was saying during his "dinghy" episode, it's counter-productive to say "I'm going to win $1k a day at the WSOP" because you can't control anything in poker...
    you can't control what hands you'll get
    you can't control what people you'll sit with
    you can't control who will call your raises or bets
    you can't control the flop, turn or river
    you can't control the stack sizes...
    etc, etc, etc...

Like I was trying to explain to nted22 earlier, you could put in 22 hours in one day - play "perfect poker" and lose a grand
    In the meantime, I could sit down next to you, play loose poker and win $3k in an hour

As a former sales guy - I know and believe in the power of goal-setting, but increasing your sales is directly tied to your hard work. In poker, it's not enough to just sit down at the table.

I've discovered that the best way to be a winning player is to take what the table gives you. Meaning, you can't come in with a plan... you can't have expectations as to what might happen. All you can do is sit, evaluate and hope for the best.

That said, there's nothing wrong with making simple goals like: "This session, I'm raising every pot I enter." or "I am going to bet every other button when no one has raised pre-flop." or "I won't tilt when I lose to a bad, loose rec player." ... things like that.

You could always make a goal to rack up if you double up... but should you really if you have a straggle-hold on the table and an amazing winning image?

So while I do have a goal as to how much I want to make a month, I don't really see it as goals. It's more like a milestone which I use to gauge as to whether I should put in more hours during the month.

Variance is such a goal-killer, it turns you into Sisyphus if you insist on meeting your goals. So I avoid goals - and like others have said, just try to find a table where I'm the best/second best/third best against big stacks - and try to bring my A game.

The rest is out of my control.
  • floppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    edited March 2015
    beauregard said:

I've discovered that the best way to be a winning player is to take what the table gives you.
    a good outlook....
    beauregard said:
    there's nothing wrong with making simple goals like: "This session, I'm raising every pot I enter." or "I am going to bet every other button when no one has raised pre-flop." or "I won't tilt when I lose to a bad, loose rec player." ... things like that.
    yeah i think this is the best, most practical way of setting goals. work on specific aspects of your game. i try to ID bad habits/leaks/spots for improvement and work on a few of those specific things.... playing suited connectors OOP.... not taking enough breaks.... playing too long.... better value sizing.... i find that even lessons i've learned and implemented well i tend to falter on from time to time -- hopefully not too many at once lol.... so it's a constant battle to stay on top of my own game.... those mini-battles are what i set my goals about, the result being, hopefully, the occasional perfect session, and usually decent results....

a money goal really targets the wrong thing entirely and will lead to mindfuck/warped play....
    by 1Oneup