Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

SOMETIMES PLAYING IN A BIGGER GAME IS JUST NOT WORTH IT (ESPECIALLY IN PLO)

TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited November -1 in Crush Live Poker Articles
I disagree. If you have bankroll and emotional control you definitely should be playing bigger game if your hourly is higher there. You don't have to play longer session if you stuck. If losses affect your life you should work on your mental game. It doesn't matter PLO or Holdem, you should be taking +EV spots even if you risk of never realising your equity.

Comments

• The point of that article was that sometimes playing in a game that might return a higher hourly within the short term may return a lower hourly in the long term. That lower hourly is dependent on bankroll, emotional control and specifically for me less hours played.

Bart
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    I understand and it's fine but you have to be honest with yourself. You can say "I'm not rolled to play this game" or "I'm not (mentally) good enough". And it's good cause it gives you incentive to improve to keep working on your (mental) game. The way of thinking from article is wrong and bad for you cause it gives you excuse for not working hard to improve.
  • aaron Posts: 498Subscriber
    I don't think Bart has said he's not rolled to play the game or not mentally good enough to play. In fact, he's mentioned the contrary (maybe in the Tendler interview) that he's rolled to play 50/100 NL but chooses not to. Different people have different goals for what they want from poker, or any career for that matter. One can play 5/10 or 2/5, make enough money to support their chosen lifestyle, all while maintaining a life of balance and happiness. That same person could play 10/25+ and make maybe 50% more money but have to deal with more stressful situations thus affecting the balance/happiness that they seek. It's akin to a successful finance professional being happy working 40 hrs/week and making 150K vs working 80 hrs/week and aspiring to become CEO of the company. The latter option allows for higher income but doesn't allow you to spend time with friends/family, increases anxiety, takes away from vacations and leisurely activities, etc.

Bart can correct me if I'm wrong but his goal (at least at this time) is not to become the best poker player in the world or play at the largest stakes possible. His goal seems to be one that includes earning a good living, maintaining a happy and healthy life, and working on some of his non-poker playing side jobs (announcing, coaching, etc.).

Limon actually had a good comment back in the day. I forget the exact words he used but it was something to the tune of "You can be the best poker player in the world if you're meeting all of your own goals (both monetary and non-monetary)."
  • BartBart Posts: 5,955AdministratorLeadPro
    Yeah Aaron,

You hit the nail pretty much on the head here. Accept that I dont think you can make anywhere close to 50% more per hour in 10-20 which is mostly why it isn't worth it. I have never had the goal to play in super nosebleed games as I feel that the downside is way bigger than the upside.

Bart
    aaron said
    That same person could play 10/25+ and make maybe 50% more money but have to deal with more stressful situations thus affecting the balance/happiness that they seek.
    But don't you think that this is a leak if poker game affects your happiness? I'm not saying everybody should aspire to become nosebleed player but I'm saying you need to be honest with yourself. And you need to accept that you're not playing perfect and not taking this +EV spot for a some specific reason, like it's too hard or not worth it to fix this leak in your mental game. At least you will be aware of the problem.
    I guess it's a mental game leak (may not be right term) in that bigger variance adds stress and affects your overall balance/happiness. But if you're goal in life is to be happy and balanced and while playing 5/5 and 5/10 you are meeting that goal why change? For a little extra money it's not worth upsetting this balance. It can seem a little lazy or unambitious to some but we play poker for a reason. For myself I play to work for myself, have flexibility and freedom, make my own schedule, etc. I can beat 10/25 but 5/10 is low stress so I usually pass on the other game. Additionally, 10/25 doesn't run all the time so I may get stuck 10k and be forced to grind 5/10 to make it up. While the 10/25 in a vacuum is a good spot from a macro level it -EV life value.

I go back to the career analogy of an associate vs CEO. It's +EV monetarily to shoot for CEO but -EV life taking stress, family, flexibility, etc into account.

I see where your heads at though but calling it a leak isn't correct. More a conscious life EV decision.
    1. What would you say to a comfortable 1/2 winner who doesn't want to move to 2/5 cause "bigger variance adds stress and affects his overall balance/happiness"?
    2. Is playing 10/25 -EV life value for all players? Or there are some superstars for whom it's +EV? If they exist then what's the difference between them and you? It must be a "leak" in your mental game.
    1. To a comfortable 1/2 player: "I would say 1/2 is unbeatable long-term with the rake and you should aim to move up"
    -Toa comfortable 2/5 player I would say "If you can support your financial goals both short-term and long-term in this game and you are happy then it's ok if you don't move up. Just realize that your learning will be stunted as will your development as a professional poker player. You have to weight those options"

2. Playing 10/25 is not -EV life value for everyone. The difference between the superstars and the guy who chooses to play 5/10 could be a variety of things. Maybe the superstar doesn't have a life outside of poker or is so young that they don't care about busting their roll b/c they can rebuild. What's the difference between a 50 year old and an 18 year old. The 18 year old has no life experience thus they haven't figured out what they want out of life. Who's to say they don't have the mental leak because they don't even know what they don't know where as we know what we want both out of life and out of a career. My guess is you are the 18 year old and Bart is the 30 something who has been doing this long enough to know what choice is right for him.

Not sure there is much more to say here.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    aaron said
    My guess is you are the 18 year old and Bart is the 30 something who has been doing this long enough to know what choice is right for him.

Not sure there is much more to say here.
    This pretty much sums up this topic IMO.