Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

I Keep Runnin Bad - Is this a good river bet?

wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
So here's another example of how my poker life has been going the last few months. Flop a straight and lose to runner runner. My question is, Is this a good river bet? I think so. Worse can call.

Merge, $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $205.58 (102.8 bb)
UTG+2: $405.39 (202.7 bb)
MP1: $77 (38.5 bb)
MP2: $95.05 (47.5 bb)
MP3: $271.13 (135.6 bb)
CO: $57.50 (28.8 bb)
BTN: $190.16 (95.1 bb)
SB: $268.09 (134 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4s As
3 folds, MP3 raises to $4, 2 folds, SB calls $3, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($12) 5c 2h 3s (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $6, MP3 calls $6, SB calls $6

Turn: ($30) Jh (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $22.50, MP3 calls $22.50, SB folds

River: ($75) 3h (2 players)
Hero bets $50, MP3 calls $50

Results: $175 pot ($3 rake)
Final Board: 5c 2h 3s Jh 3h
Hero showed 4s As and lost (-$82.50 net)
MP3 showed 4h 7h and won $172 ($89.50 net)

Comments

• Mike Posts: 371Member
    fold pre or 3b.

assign him a range. work out the math.
  • bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    i would fold pre

as played I would check/raise flop because you hit the 2nd best possible flop for your hand and the only way to get stacks in is by getting a raise in somewhere in the hand and the best oppurtunity is the preflop raiser. However, i'm completely fine leading out but I would make it closer to a pot sized bet because overpairs/overcards will stick around alot on a flop like this. Turn is fine(i would size a little bigger but thats just me). River is fine, I'd bet/fold there too.
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    Mike said

fold pre or 3b.

assign him a range. work out the math.
    Your an idiot Mike. How is that helpful? Whats wrong with calling a min raise with a suited ace even oop with limpers?
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    bobo1384 said

i would fold pre

as played I would check/raise flop because you hit the 2nd best possible flop for your hand and the only way to get stacks in is by getting a raise in somewhere in the hand and the best oppurtunity is the preflop raiser. However, i'm completely fine leading out but I would make it closer to a pot sized bet because overpairs/overcards will stick around alot on a flop like this. Turn is fine(i would size a little bigger but thats just me). River is fine, I'd bet/fold there too.
    If I chk raise flop most everything is folding although you make a good point about building the pot asap. I dont even consider a min raise a real raise in a cash game though. Most players are not min raising w a hand like QQ (A hand where he wouldnt fold to a chk raise).
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    how is it helpful for me to do all the work for you? Not every situation has a 100% right answer. asking what to do in specific situations is a waste of everyones time. Im not gonna sit here and do all the work for you. Learn the fundamentals of the game and put them to use. You dont need us to tell you how to play every hand.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    wildncrazyguy said

Whats wrong with calling a min raise with a suited ace even oop with limpers?
    There are no limpers. And you are out of position.

With respect to your comment re: I don't consider a min raise a real raise in a cash game. Online is different than live. I agree that in live 1/2, a raise to 4 might as well be a limp, but a 2x/2.5x raise from late position is pretty standard online (look at the responses to your thread on online raise sizing). It's one of the big differences between the two games.