Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5nl AQ 3bet pot 300BB's line check

Collecting_Tax Posts: 177Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5nl

Effective stacks- $1700

Hero- Good winning image.

Villain- decent LAG but spewy at times.

LP raises to $20
Hijack calls $20
CO calls $20
Hero raises to $125 on the button with AdQd
Folds to CO who exclaims, "I have to keep you honest this time! You always raise that button!" and calls.

($295) 3h 4h 5d

CO checks
Hero bets $150
CO pretty quickly makes the call

($595) As

CO checks
Hero bets $250
CO pretty quickly calls

($1095) 7d

CO checks
Hero bets $405

All thoughts welcome. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Mike Posts: 371Member
    played fine. ch backriver though. I dont think there is much worse that can call you since everything got there.
  • RDF Posts: 183Member
    Good hand.

You're often ahead on the river and will get looked up by worse because I'd expect most villains to:
    a) not put you on a straight and expect you to check behind river with AK, THEREFORE, they'd lead river with sets, straights, etc
    b) draws missed (and we don't expect our villain to have draws) so if we bet bluffy it could get hero called

Villain can deduce: hero doesn't have AK-type hand because he'd check it back, doesn't have a straight because hard to have a 6 in his, so this bet must be a bluff. You'd be surprised how light ppl will call.

Against a range of AQ, AJs, ATs, Axhh, and some 88-JJ, I like a bet of $350. Still looks bluffy, but looks more callable than $405 if the guy is staring down at TT. If $405 looks bluffier for you with your table image, then that's a good bet.

I wouldn't be surprised if you value own yourself sometimes on the river vs. A-2,3,5,6 suited type hands, but I think it's a bet. Villain could have sets or 66, but good for him if he does and checks river.

I'd bet 350.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    How is villian calling you? By your description of "quick call", it makes it seems as though he is on a flush draw. I would discount 88+ after the turn (as the Ace should slow him down a bit). It would be tough for Villian to call pre-flop with a 2 or a 6 in his hand unless its specifically 22 or 66. 22 Would have probably raised your turn bet, and 66 should have a tough time calling the double barrell, even open ended. To Mike's point, I'm not sure what is worse that could call the bet here after you fire all three streets. The only thing that I can think of is Ahxh, but even that is limited as A2hh, A5hh, A7hh, AKhh all make hands that beat us.

I am interested to see if Villian had something other than a flush draw here, as I think that if I was villian in this spot, I would have raised at some point along the way with almost any made hand that didn't also include a draw (and I probably would have raised some of those).
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    This looks like a good spot for villain to shove on you and make it a difficult decision for you

I like this as a super thin line against stations who also don't know how to bluff well

But against the aggro type, I probably would have checked flop and gone for two streets on the turn and river. If he's not stupid, I don't think he's calling with one pair for three streets here. Why are you cbetting a low connected flop when you don't have the flush draw against someone who you said was loose (meaning the flop probably hits his range as well as his range for making a move). I almost feel like if he didn't try to semi-bluff by the river it was because he was smooth calling with a monster.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    RyanFisch said

Good hand.

You're often ahead on the river and will get looked up by worse because I'd expect most villains to:
    a) not put you on a straight and expect you to check behind river with AK, THEREFORE, they'd lead river with sets, straights, etc
    b) draws missed (and we don't expect our villain to have draws) so if we bet bluffy it could get hero called

Villain can deduce: hero doesn't have AK-type hand because he'd check it back, doesn't have a straight because hard to have a 6 in his, so this bet must be a bluff. You'd be surprised how light ppl will call.

Against a range of AQ, AJs, ATs and some 88-JJ, I like a bet of $350. Still looks bluffy, but looks more callable than $405 if the guy is staring down at TT. If $405 looks bluffier for you with your table image, then that's a good bet.

I wouldn't be surprised if you value own yourself sometimes on the river vs. A-2,3,5,6 suited type hands, but I think it's a bet. Villain could have sets or 66, but good for him if he does and checks river.

I'd bet 350.
    It doesnt matter if hes ahead most of the time here. He has to be ahead more than 50% of the time when called. Think of villians PF calling range. 22-77 all beat us. we beat maybe 88-TT if he is just flatting these and not squeezing. What other Ax hands could he play this way that we beat? you really think hes calling pf with like A9?

Seems way to think a bet based on the action of the whole hand.
    Your cbetting cuz your 300bb deep and you've 3b, as long as you're willing to unload the clip.
    Villain can't really have QQ-AA, so if villain has 66-JJ I hope he calls my flop cbet. Goodluck winning this pot without improving.

In fact, you are often free rolling by barrelling these boards in 3b pots. Most villains would c/r you on the flop or turn with sets/straights/flushes/etc oop.
    So if they flat you down the whole way, they probably don't have one of those strong hands. If you bet flop and are flatted, bet turn. If you bet turn and are flatted, bet river. Hard for them to call.

The flip side is if you hit your A on the turn, you're only betting if you can make it look like you missed a draw and are bluffing. Because you are trying to get looked up light.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Against a solid tight player who would only call a 3-bet with a pair of some kind or good broadway cards, cbet is probably fine
    But against someone LAGgy and spewy who would call a 3-bet with random suited junk, I don't think it's great

If he doesn't think you're capable of making a thin value bet, then I guess betting the way you did is still profitable to get called by worse on the river. Because if he never thinks you would bet the river with an A, he might make a stupid call with something like TT. But I'm guessing you're posting this because he was scared and just check/calling with something better than one pair or you got shoved on?
    Mike said
    RyanFisch said

Good hand.

Against a range of AQ, AJs, ATs and some 88-JJ, I like a bet of $350. Still looks bluffy, but looks more callable than $405 if the guy is staring down at TT. If $405 looks bluffier for you with your table image, then that's a good bet.

I'd bet 350.
    It doesnt matter if hes ahead most of the time here. He has to be ahead more than 50% of the time when called. Think of villians PF calling range. 22-77 all beat us. we beat maybe 88-TT if he is just flatting these and not squeezing. What other Ax hands could he play this way that we beat? you really think hes calling pf with like A9?

Seems way to think a bet based on the action of the whole hand.

Axhh got omitted in my original post so I added it in right after the post went through.

I agree with you about his range for the most part, but I think given the action, we can reweight the range.
    Of course it's thin, but because I'd expect to hear from the villain on an earlier street I'm saying it looks like a missed draw or a medium strength hand a lot.
    Versus this range, if you bet and make it look bluffy, you can get called very light. missed draws are often Axhh and since the A on the board and in our hand is not a H, he can easily have it in his range.
  • Collecting_Tax Posts: 177Subscriber
    RyanFisch said

Your cbetting cuz your 300bb deep and you've 3b, as long as you're willing to unload the clip.
    Villain can't really have QQ-AA, so if villain has 66-JJ I hope he calls my flop cbet. Goodluck winning this pot without improving.

In fact, you are often free rolling by barrelling these boards in 3b pots. Most villains would c/r you on the flop or turn with sets/straights/flushes/etc oop.
    So if they flat you down the whole way, they probably don't have one of those strong hands. If you bet flop and are flatted, bet turn. If you bet turn and are flatted, bet river. Hard for them to call.

The flip side is if you hit your A on the turn, you're only betting if you can make it look like you missed a draw and are bluffing. Because you are trying to get looked up light.
    This is more or less what i was thinking during the hand. I mean i am barrelling any A, K, Q, J, T, 9 on the turn so i think a cbet here is necessary. This villain will fast play nut hands and big draws so when he just check/calls twice i think his range can be narrowed to bluff catchers that are just trying to get to show down. I actually considered shipping the river but decided to underbet to make sure i got looked up by 88-JJ. thoughts?