Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How Many Here Are 100% Grinding A Living From Poker

MichaelCampisi Posts: 9Subscriber
edited April 2015 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
It was about 6 months ago that I found myself able to commit myself to playing professionally, or at least without any other means of income. I am lucky enough to have a "liferoll" that is substantial and can sustain me if things get kind of "meh" for a while.

My experiences over the last 6 months really made me curious to ask how many people on the forums are making a living doing nothing BUT playing live poker. I live in Las Vegas so I'm even more curious for those doing it out here or in SoCal.

I feel my game is vastly improving, especially since I am now free to dedicate myself 100% to it. The last 6 months (roughly 700 hours) have given me positive results, but sometimes I look at the game, now that it's all I do, and I wonder how viable of a long term career choice this really is and just wanted to see who all out there is also doing nothing but this.

Would be interested in hearing how long people have been doing it as well as if they see themselves continuing for another 5-10 years, or even 3-5 years. Sick BR or hourly brags are fine, but I'm more interested in your feelings towards doing this 100% and if it's meeting all your needs.

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,086Subscriber
    edited April 2015
    Mike

I have wondered this as well. I would hazard to guess its small.. like maybe 15% or less of the people who post here..

I dont do this for my only source of income.. That said I would also say that I put in effort greater to most players pro or not in studying the game.

I personally prefer to have income coming from somewhere else. but I do look forward to 15 to 20 yrs from now when I retire and switch to poker "full time" hopefully I will still be sharp at 65..

I do know that of the pros that I am friends with almost none of them play alot of hrs.. In fact almost all of them only play around 20 hours. These guys and gals are in the top tier of players and value life work balance and this seems to be a good balance. I can say that I agree that I cannot generally play well a few days in a row. I need breaks..

So my take on the differences in the LA vs LV games are this..

Vegas has more worse rec players do the nature of the vacation destination.. these players dont play as long and may come to the table with one buy in lose it and leave.. So although these players are golden there isnt a ton of money with them

Vegas at the tippy top of the player pool have some of the best players in the world.. In LA also has some great players..but I would hazard to say that the better players in vegas are a bit better than the avg better player in LA..

LA has the largest rec reg player pool This is where the money is.. The sheer number of players that play regularly in LA that arent that great is HUGE...Furthermore these guys might be better than the rec in vegas but there are just so many of them...

LA is a rich city LA will never dry up because there is just too much money being pumped into the pyramid.. poker does work kinda like a ponzi scheme where money at the bottom trickles up the food chain. We as good player take a bigger portion of our share because we can take advantage of players lower on the food chain.

Vegas is alot cheaper to live and thats why you find more pros there than in LA..

ww
  • 3aces Posts: 155Subscriber
    Mike,
    I play for a living and have been doing it for 4 years. I play in So Ca but come out to Vegas a lot. I am here in Vegas right now. I play 6 days a week and put in quite a few hours playing poker,

Gary
  • ACK Posts: 428Subscriber
    I'm 27 and I've been playing full time for 3 years. Poker is great for the moment but I'm worrying about my future.
  • aaron Posts: 498Subscriber
    Regarding playing poker long-term this is totally a personal preference usually based on lifestyle. You are basically capped if you just play poker on what you can make monetarily. You'll never make 250K+/year playing poker unless you bink a tourney or have a big roll and are privy to super high stakes private games. If the lifestyle you want to live doesn't necessitate making a ton of money (it's all relative) and you enjoy the freedom then poker is for you.

• aaron Posts: 498Subscriber
    aaron said:
    Regarding playing poker long-term this is totally a personal preference usually based on lifestyle. You are basically capped if you just play poker on what you can make monetarily. You'll never make 250K+/year playing poker unless you bink a tourney or have a big roll and are privy to super high stakes private games. If the lifestyle you want to live doesn't necessitate making a ton of money (it's all relative) and you enjoy the freedom then poker is for you.