Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 ... was it right to raise?

$2/$5 game $1000 cap

Effective stack is mine at $850

MP LAG player raises to $25, 2 players call and I am in CO with 8 6 I call , BTN calls and so does SB.

So 6 ways to flop.

Pot is $155

flop is 9 7 5

SB checks and original raiser bets $100

next 2 players fold.

original raiser started hand with just a little more than me ($900)

So do i call here or raise?

Bart talks about playing his big hands fast so i decided to raise to $325, which leaves me $500 behind.

SB, who has about $1800, thinks for probably a good minute or so and ends up folding and then the bet'r thinks for about 15 seconds and shakes his head and throws his hand into muck.

Should i have raised?
Should i have maybe only raised to $250

I felt i needed to raise because there could be some cards that could kill any further action for me like - any 8 or 6, another club. Was thinking the raiser had an over pair and might be willing to get it in thinking that i might have a pair and gutter straight draw or flush draw or open ended straight draw.

how wrong did i play this? Did i leave money out there?
Or was it the right play?

Thanks
BBG

Comments

• aaron Posts: 498Subscriber
    I'd probably make it 275 or so to give more of an illusion of fold equity but don't think raising is bad. Depending on villian and how I'm perceived I'll mix it up w a flat some of the time. An overpair prob gets it in w you as would sets (depending on players) so nobody had anything (usually 6 ways someone will continue).
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,399Subscriber
    edited May 2015
    Not convinced you played it "bad". You want to build a pot, and the best way to do this is by raising. I'm guessing the villains just whiffed the flop or did not want to go to war with one pair.
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    sometimes you have to put yourself in your Vs' shoes.
    he raises preflop. and he bets 2/3 pot on the flop.
    he's done nothing but show strength.

on such a wet board - what hand would you expect someone to raise?
    depending on the player - it could be anything from the flush draw to the nut straight.
    (you described stacks, but didn't say anything about your and his image)

in a 6-way hand, I would say the odds of someone flopping something that beats a big pocket pair is very good. Your raise gave away your hand and made it very easy for a thinking player to fold.

I don't know why you would want to raise. You've got the nut straight and a flush redraw.
    why would you want to chase them out? I would have slow-played this. (again, depending on the other players and their image and mine)

you don't need to try and get your stack in by the turn - you can do it on the river.
    if you call - the pot is 355.
    a turn bet can be 200. then the pot is 755.
    then your spr is below 1 and you can get it in on the river.

depending on the player - guys who are in a hurry to get their small stack in are usually players with a nutted hand. I think you overplayed your miracle flop and scared away your customers.

yeah, there are some turn cards that can scare away your customers - but that's a chance I would have taken to collect a bigger pay day.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,917AdministratorLeadPro
    edited May 2015
    Im raising the flop, a lot in your spot. I think you just made it too large. $250-$275 bloats the pot and gets the job done. I count 17 cards immediately that might stop the guy from betting the turn (3 6s, 3 8s, 2 9s and 9 clubs,) and add 3 more for each level of overpair that he has below AAs. So 20 for KK, 23 for QQ, etc. Plus people find hero folds a lot more when raised on a later street with more cards on the board than on the flop.

Bart
  • DoubleAAron Posts: 112Subscriber
    I agree with what's been said above. Raising is the right play with these stacks and you've just got to ask yourself, "whats the most that I can raise that will get called?" Against a player who will never fold an over pair, 325 is fine. Against other more thinking players, you might need to go smaller or get tricky by basically min-raising and hoping they will call with an over pair because of the price (even though they are drawing almost dead) or will spaz shove over the top because they think your hand looks like A9 or TT.

Without being there and knowing the live dynamics, image and deeper background on the Villain, I couldn't say how much I think you should have raised to or if $325 is too much. However, I definitely think raising is the right play because it puts your whole stack in play which is the purpose of calling with those type of hands in the first place.