Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

I 4-bet bluff and get lucky. To cbet or slowplay Bart style?

UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain is a LAGgy reg who normally plays higher than 2/5 and thinks he can run over 2/5
This is the type of player I love to steal pots from, because they usually play an extremely exploitable style. And they usually don't give me credit for being capable of making moves in certain spots

2/5 ~$800 effective between me and main villain
One limper in EP
Bad reg raise to $15
One caller in between
Villain makes it $65 OTB
Fishy guy in SB calls $65
Hero is in BB with Ks9s and makes it $225

Now, in this spot, I decided it would be profitable to re-squeeze. Villain is usually light because he recognizes that the bad reg is trying to juice the pot with an implied odds hand when he makes it $15 over a limper. The SB usually has something that he stubbornly wants to see the flop with when he cold calls the $65. Effective stacks are that villain doesn't have too much fold equity if he shoves on me, and I'm not sure if he gives me credit for making a play here

Villain thinks for a while and calls the $225
Flop ($625ish)
Kc 9s 6d

Now, do I just cbet here and play it normally, or do I do what Bart says to do when you have a strong hand with shallow stacks and check?

Comments

• chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    see bart's tweet from 2/25:
    when considering slow playing, sometimes it is better to bet small than to check

[also, check your math on the pot size at the flop]
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    In order to get stacks in i think you have to bet the flop since you have 2psb left. You will have to bet pretty big (for live) to get stacks in if it checks through. Plus there are a lot of cards that will slow the action down on the turn. I would just bet like 150 to try and get him to spazz since your bet is smaller than the PFR size it will look like you have a pair under K.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    oops... that was assuming that the pot size was correct in the OP.

Pot on the flop is over 500.... id still bet small and plan to shove just about every turn.

and complain to the pit that there are 2 9s in the deck ;)
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Wait, it's actually like $640
    I though it was $625 and somehow typed $325
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    i really like the $175 bet on the flop.
    1) it pisses him off.
    2) he might spazz out based on your sizing. he might think he can run you over by shipping.
    3) it f**ks with his pride if he folds to your tiny cbet.

if he flat calls, it won't take much to get all in by the river.
  • Gordon806 Posts: 59Member
    I would definitely make my c-bet smaller than my preflop 3-bet as this reeks of weakness. Villian might take it as your kinda your afraid of the K with something like TT. Bet $175 and if he calls get it in on the turn.

Had a hand yesterday where guy 3-bet pre to $80 with KK and c-bet $65 on the A-high flop. Was obvious, he was scared and was easy to take away from him.
  • Claire,

I agree with the consensus here bet small to try to induce a raise or float. You could bet something as small as 100 with these stacks and I like that sizing even more than 175.

When I talk about slowplaying these spots with low SPR I'm usually referring to ragged boards where most in the player pool do not check over pairs. Say something like 822 or T53. I also say that usually, an opponent who has made an aggressive action preflop usually is not checking post flop to fold if the board smacks their range. I'd much rather you check 995 here than K96.

Bart
    I might have slightly screwed this hand up. I got the feeling that he was calling pre-flop to make a play on certain types of flops, so I checked to him hoping he would auto-fire

So I checked the flop, and he bet $125. I thought it was a little weird, but I just called anyway, as I was planning
    Check check on turn which was a Q
    9 on river, and I ship it because I didn't think he was betting if I check. And he mucks a K and says "I had you on the flop. You had Queens, right?"
    When somebody asks me if I had XX, I usually just say yes
    Maybe I should have made a stupidly small looking bet on the river to see if he shoves. But there wasn't really enough in my stack to do that