Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flopping the Straight Flush in PLO

Hero: Tight, Good winning image with $700 stack.

Villain 1 (LJ): Loose, passive losing reg. One of the fishier guys in the game. (Covers)

Villain 2 (HJ): Loose preflop. Fairly ABC postflop. Can be very aggressive. Winning player to some degree. Has the ability to make big folds. Views Hero as pretty tight. (Covers)

$1/$2/$5 PLO

Limps around to Hero in the SB who completes with K 3 3 7 .
6 ways to the flop.

Flop: 4 5 6 ($30)

Hero checks his pants and leads out for $25. Both villains call. Rest fold.

Turn: 8 ($105)

Hero leads for $65. Villain 1 calls pretty quickly. Villain 2 quickly raises to $200.
Hero ???

If we flat here, what is our river play on paired cards and also non-pairing cards? I feel like no matter what we do on the turn or river, our perceived range is just so ridiculously strong.
by 1dpbuck

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,089Subscriber
    Min raise. Vil who raised prob has nut flush other villain very likely with a set. You are in between. So now nut flush guy can reopen the betting and set guy will prob see getting correct odds to call off. Not knowing they are both drawing dead

You just have to raise here
  • PocketAceTrader782 Posts: 441Subscriber
    edited May 2015
    I like clicking it back to 335 here. You will probably keep both players in the hand. If the river pairs the board you can value target V1. If it's a brick you can Value target V2. You will have about 325 left so depending on what happens you should be able to stack at least one of them.

If you think min raising will get V1 to fold, then you can call. The downside of that is you basically now have to bet almost pot on the river to get all the money in, which won't matter if V2 has a nut flush, but I think clicking the turn is your best play.

Carmine
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    I like the lead OTF. OTT, I want to try to put in the 1st or 2nd bet, but not the 3rd. It is just so strong. If you do lead the turn, I would bet close to pot. It helps build the pot, and I don't think it changing your described opponent's calling/raising ranges much, if any.

As played, V2 is obviously the one most likely to have the ace high flush which is what you are targetting. V1 could have a lower flush, a set, or even 2 or 3 pair since you said he is fishy. I am tempted to 3bet here, but you said that V2 can make big folds. If he has played much PLO, surely he has seen some straight flushes and can recognize this board create three possible straigh flushes that beat him. I think a 3bet would make him extremely leery. Whether you min-raise or ship, he has to ask WTF are you doing 3betting if he holds the Ad.

So, if you think V2 will call off anyways with a nut flush then go ahead. If not, I would just call, hope V1 tags along, and then lead all rivers big. Your line will be more confusing and thus more likely to get called.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,089Subscriber
    HR

Good points. Key is if likely nut flush can fold or not. If you min raise you will get his stack cuz of stack to pot ratios. I would just hate losing the third guy if another straight card comes or the board doesnt pair
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    We need to get value from a set / 3 pair now before the river. Do whatever we can to get the most money in the middle before the river. If we make a small raise , the ace high flush (I never understood why people auto call ace high flushes "nut flush" when there's a possible straight flush) can shovel more chips in (hopefully he has the Ad and 8d in his hand which would limit straight flush combos) , hopefully getting the set to call it off too.

Hope is a dangerous emotion sometimes.
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    this is a raise
  • reedmylipsreedmylips Posts: 1,145Subscriber
    Aesah said:
    this is a raise
    Nobody could ever accuse Aesah of wasting words.
  • chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    reedmylips said:
    Aesah said:
    this is a raise
    I can. He could have just posted:

Raise.
  • YoungGrinder Posts: 210Subscriber
    chilidog said:
    reedmylips said:
    Aesah said:
    this is a raise
    I can. He could have just posted:

Raise.
    Lol

Thanks for the responses. I raised to 425. V1 folded. V2 tanked and folded AdJd8d face-up. I guess I better start bluffing him with blockers :)
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    YoungGrinder said:
    Thanks for the responses. I raised to 425. V1 folded. V2 tanked and folded AdJd8d face-up. I guess I better start bluffing him with blockers :)
    This is what I was afraid of. Very, very few live PLO players put in three bets on one street with a K-high or less flush. So, if he is a decent hand reader, he will figure out you have to have a straight flush here. If the board was like 4d7d8d maybe he calls it off since that board has just one straight flush, but this board creates three.