Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Standard Spot even against Old Man Coffee?

ChipChairmanChipChairman Posts: 41Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I read all the advice on here like a sponge and really appreciate the feedback! I read often, just don't always post...

OMC is typical passive old man. Set mines, looks to flop "the nuts" and get it in. Effective stacks are me 220 him and villain 1 and 2 covers.
Game is 1/2 NL at FW in CT. ($60-300)
I am in the SB with 88 and 220.
Villain 1 UTG+1 (300+) is a very gamble-y Russian who called my $100 3B OTF all in with 22 on a A45ss board and hit a 3 (LDO). Declared he was "Here to gamble".
OMC
Villain 2 LAG [Button] Busted tourney and admitted to me he was playing to get his buy in back. Playing aggressively in position and C-betting a lot of hands.

Russian calls 2, OMC calls 2, (other call), Villain 2 raises to $10. This means it is not a good hand. I call with 8c8s, Russian calls, OMC calls, other player calls.
$50 to the flop of 4 5 8 rainbow. Russian bets 20 [70], OMC calls [90], (fold) and preflop raiser raises to $50 [140]. I flat [190] hoping Russian goes crazy. Russian calls [240] and OMC ships it all in +160 more. Fold. Pot is 400 and it is 160 for me to call.

At the table, my range for OMC is 44, 55, 67s and 45s (maybe). Even if he only flats a set first time around 50% of the time, I am ahead of his range. Even if he turns over 67 I have to call, right?

3,960 games 0.017 secs 232,941 games/sec

Board: 8d 4c 5s
Dead:
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 34.798% 34.34% 00.45% 1360 18.00 { 8c8s }
Hand 1: 65.202% 64.75% 00.45% 2564 18.00 { 76s }

Thanks.

John in Boston

Comments

• bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    I would fist pump call, get out of my seat and dance all the way to 5th street cafe and back.

Agaisnt a range of just sets and straights you are absolutely getting odds to call.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    I rarely first pump call anything, but this is a no doubt about it call to the point where I am beating him into the pot. You have him CRUSHED here all the time. OMC types do not play 67 OOP to a raise.
  • eselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    bobo1384 said

I would fist pump call, get out of my seat and dance all the way to 5th street cafe and back.

Agaisnt a range of just sets and straights you are absolutely getting odds to call.
    +1

I'd also raise the flop. With the action in front of you, I'd get it in before an action killer card hit.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    you did all the math yourself and saw that even in the worst case scenario you are getting the right price to call... i dont get the point of posting this hand. This is a "snap his dick off, fist pump, pretip the dealer" type of spot.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    snap call and be happy about it, no matter what the outcome is. There are very few scenarios where you should fold top set with these stack sizes, and this is not one of them IMO.
  • napncrash Posts: 177Subscriber
    And does he do this with JJ or TT?

OMCs (and a lot of passive women, I've noticed) like to limp in with those high-ish pairs and then bomb the flop if they have an overpair.

Maybe not, but CONSIDER putting the occasional overpair in his range... and if they're there, you're BASHING his range.

Ship it in.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    There is no range that you can fold against here. If you assign OMC the range you said in your post, this is a super happy re-ship since even if you discount sets somewhat, there are only 4 combos of 67s. If he plays all combos of 67 and doesn't play sets and two pair this way, then you still have to call, but you are no longer making quite as much money.
  • ChipChairmanChipChairman Posts: 41Subscriber
    Thanks, I just needed a little confirmation, he did have 67dd and the board bricked out. Just making sure my math was correct. Just a cooler, I suppose.

Appreciate the feedback. LOL @ Fifth St Cafe post. :D