Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/3-mid-pair + FD vs. hyper aggro. whats your line?

tensor0910 Posts: 123Subscriber
edited June 2015 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Villain in the hand is a hyper-aggro woman. Saw her at 5-5 with a 1.5-2k stack before the game broke up. Effective stacks 90ish. Saw her raise a straddle huge ( 12x-ish ) w/ AQo. Then shove a flop of 79T. SS had AK, called and took it down. Effective stacks 150ish. Shortly after saw her raise huge again w/ 64o over a straddle then shove on a 639 flop. She took it down when straddler called w/ OESD and bricked. Villain is loose, aggressive, and fearless. Thank god she's one over to my right.

My image should be good. Been taking down pots, but havent shown down much. Table saw me raise pf w/ TT and then gii vs. SS on 89T board. I would say my image should be at least a 7, but I look young so I'm guessing its closer to a 5. I have 330ish. V Covers.

OTTH.

V raises PF to 13. H calls OTB w/ QJhh. Were HU.

( 29 ) Flop - AhJd9d. Goes chk/ chk

Turn- 5h. H bet 13. V raises to 55.....

Hero?

Comments

• ANason21ANason21 Posts: 166Subscriber
    The turn is essentially a brick. Based on your description, she seems like a player who would come out and bet an A (or a J, for that matter) on the flop. She also check-raises on the turn, which is a bit odd. If she's trying to get value, does she really check twice? There are tons of hands in a button calling range that can continue on an AJ9 flop. I'd think she'd want to get more money in the pot earlier in the hand with an A on a wet board like that. The check-raise on the turn smells a bit bluffy to me. So your J might be best now, and if it isn't you have plenty of stack behind you for implied odds on a backdoor flush draw. It's a razor thin spot to raise--she likely doesn't call with any hands worse than yours other than maybe TJ, 9T, 98, and based on description I'd expect her to bet those sooner. I'd probably call and plan to call most rivers, or shove if I hit my flush or another J.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,989SubscriberProfessional
    I agree with @ANason21. That checkraise on the turn is very bluffy. She should be betting the flop or the turn with any value hand at all. The only value hand that might play this way is 55. I'm calling the turn, and probably calling most rivers.
  • Examinedexercises Posts: 26Subscriber
    I agree with ANason and buck. I call here and consider calling most rivers (assuming we dont hit our flush or trips in which case im raising to GII).
    If you have KThh or QThh i would be more inclined to 3bet villains c/raise seeing as we dont have as much showdown value.
    as is- our pair of jacks is a decent bluff catcher.
  • DrGambol Posts: 724Subscriber
    So she raises to $13 pre, we have QJs and she's raised 64o before? Jam pre. The last thing we want to do is for us to miss and fold the flop when she's bluffing with all her 5 high, 6 high, 7 high, 8 high, 9 high, ten high, J high hands.
  • tensor0910 Posts: 123Subscriber
    Dr. Gambol that was my initial plan but I figured we were deep enough and I had position so we have some maneuverability. Plus her raises were vs. shortstacks. Wasnt 100% sure if she would call a shove.
    tensor0910 said:
    Dr. Gambol that was my initial plan but I figured we were deep enough and I had position so we have some maneuverability. Plus her raises were vs. shortstacks. Wasnt 100% sure if she would call a shove.
    We don't really want to get called. The value in shoving is that she folds her pf raise so often since she's raising offsuit 6x combos pre.

Regarding being deep, you said we had like $90 effective stacks and a $13 raise. So we'll have $77 left and $26 in the pot. It's not super deep. We have and spr of 3. It's meh. It just sucks when we can profitably jam pre and instead to decide to call and fold some flops.

If I were flatting QJs, Id be jamming a lot of flops with just overcards against someone who Cbet bluffs too much.
    DrGambol said:
    tensor0910 said:
    We don't really want to get called. The value in shoving is that she folds her pf raise so often since she's raising offsuit 6x combos pre.

Regarding being deep, you said we had like $90 effective stacks and a $13 raise. So we'll have $77 left and $26 in the pot. It's not super deep. We have and spr of 3. It's meh. It just sucks when we can profitably jam pre and instead to decide to call and fold some flops.

If I were flatting QJs, Id be jamming a lot of flops with just overcards against someone who Cbet bluffs too much.
    Effective stacks are 330ish, not 90. If they were 90, shoving may be the right play, but consider first that we have only seen V make the hyper-aggro raises in straddled pots, which often lead people to make hyper-aggro raises for various reasons.

Raising pre to something like $45 is an option if you think she is actually folding the junk when she gets action clicked back to her. Given that she is hyper-aggro, such action may just cause her to spazz and shove herself. Then what do you do?

I like calling pre-flop and keeping her in the hand with all of her junk, relying on solid post-flop play and hand reading to discern when you are ahead versus behind.
    Also, regarding shoving pre-flop. It has ZERO value if all we do is get worse hands to fold and only better hands to call.
    by 1dpbuck
    ANason21 said:
    DrGambol said:
    tensor0910 said:

Effective stacks are 330ish, not 90. If they were 90, shoving may be the right play, but consider first that we have only seen V make the hyper-aggro raises in straddled pots, which often lead people to make hyper-aggro raises for various reasons.

Raising pre to something like $45 is an option if you think she is actually folding the junk when she gets action clicked back to her. Given that she is hyper-aggro, such action may just cause her to spazz and shove herself. Then what do you do?

I like calling pre-flop and keeping her in the hand with all of her junk, relying on solid post-flop play and hand reading to discern when you are ahead versus behind.
    I read 90ish from the first paragraph for the first hand I guess. Obviously don't ship 100+bb. Sorry
    edited June 2015
    Thanks everyone for the input.

I figured if villain were strong she probably would have came Alive earlier so I discounted sets and top pairs, from her range. When the FD came on the turn and she reraised I figure she could be doing this with some sort of combo draw, or a weirdly played 2 pair, but there's also a bunch of air in her range. 3! Is an option, but if I raise and she's calls, she's getting pot odds to call a river bet so I decided to go for max fold equity and, as Bart would say, UN. LOAD. THE CLIP.
    Why are you going for max fold equity if you think you are ahead?
    I know her range is wide so that could include weak aces as well ( meant to say that in previous post, sorry) She hadnt battled with a 100BB stack, and she never checked flops when bluffing. so when she c/r the turn i got leery. One side of me thought her 4x+ raise looked bluffy, but another thought maybe she was going for it on the flop and was trying to make up for lost value. In hindsight I think i was looking for a fold so I wouldnt have a tough river decision. Its hard to determine her hand strength when were without a street of informaiton. Please feel free to tell me if this logic is flawed.