Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

checking the flop

Ive read in ed millers book low stakes nlhe before he sometimes cHecks top pair ok kicker on flops. Example. Folds to hero otb 15 ATo both blinds call flop A 9 2r checks to hero and he checks, dont really understand the reason besides being only able to get 2 streets, and soe deception purposes.i understand that. Is there any other. Reasons besides that. Is it villian dependent? And the reason ? I personally have been just betting on the smaller size (half pot give or take a few bucks more or less) thanks i just wanna understand a bit more why you might change your line in spots like this.

Comments

• Jack7777 Posts: 651Subscriber
    edited June 2015
    http://www.crushlivepoker.com/forums/discussion/5728/varying-play#latest
    I just posted a variation of this play. For me it's V dependent and table dependent. If you always bet 50%-60% on that type flop, you are playing the same way most people play. They expect you have what you have and if you raised the preflop, they see it as a standard C-bet.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,386Subscriber
    Given the board texture in your example, you should be ahead of most Ax hands and PP. Your behind AJ, AQ, and AK, who may or may not 3b from the blinds. Checking here allows you to realize value from those hands you're ahead of on the turn, since they amight be more likely to call a turn bet.

Obviously, this is dependent on the villains, your image, and any other table dynamics.
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    on such dry boards where you have top pair - it's unlikely that the board will change where your top pair is no longer good.
    so it doesn't hurt to check and allow your opponents to make a hand - because on average, it will always be second best.
    you can get more value from a second best hand than one where you crush the board and your Vs have nothing.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,977SubscriberProfessional
    It's villain dependent. If I have an opponent who thinks I'm a bit laggy and expects me to c-bet my entire range, then I will oblige. I'll have a pretty wide and weak range, so I can bet my ace with impunity. However, if villain thinks I'm a nit, and will only bet an ace there, then I will check sometimes for deception.

I guess it's a play off the Galfond Theorem: "You should be value betting more and bluffing less when your perceived range is weak and bluffing more and value betting less when your perceived range is strong".
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    Checking behind medium to bad top pairs is a good idea to strengthen your check-back range, especially against folks who can hand read at least somewhat and/or are aggressive.

A related example that you see often on these forums is something along the lines of "I 3-bet KK and the flop came A high, what do I do?". Many people always bet if they have AQ or better and check their big pairs. This is really easy to play against. I prefer to sometimes check my AK/AQ hands on this board so that folks with Ax/bluffs can't safely barrel off.