Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crazy 6 way 3bet pot!

It is a 1/2 home game but stacks are super deep, UTG used to open light with obvious open size. This time he opens to $6, UTG+1and UTG+2 both loose players call the $6. Hero (me) is in UTG+3 and has J J , I 3bet to $41, the High Jack player who is another loose passive player calls $41 and the button also calls. blinds fold and UTG, UTG+1, and UTG+2 all call the $35 more.
So it is 6 way with 6X$41=$246 in the pot.

Flop comes 7 8 9 . UTG checks, UTG+1 who has around $1000 stack and is a passive fish, bets $75. UTG+2 folds. It gets to hero (me), who has a stack of $1100. with 2 people to act behind, I opt to flat call. high jack folds and the button goes all in with only $50. UTG also folds. so it is 3 way with one player (button) all in and heads up between 2 big stacks. pot is $446.
Turn: 4
UTG+1 now checks to me. at this point I realized I must be good. However, he is unknown and it is the second time I see him. also, since there are many scary cards on the river, I bet only $110 to buy a cheap showdown on the river. In other words, I did not want to check back the turn and face a huge bet on a scary card on the river. So I only bet $110 into a $446 pot with the intention to check back almost all rivers.
Now the UTG+1, check raises all-in on the turn after I bet $110!

what should I do?
What could he have?
It is a very tough spot for only a pair of Jacks on that scary board.

Any advice? Please.

Comments

• ClockClock Posts: 1,098Subscriber
    edited June 2015
    Pretty tough spot.

When you choose to bet the turn, you have to have a plan for the future.
    If you believe you're way ahead of Villain's range (which I think is a very reasonable assumption given your descriptions) I would bet larger.
    I would bet ~300 and then depending on how you think Villain typically plays his combo draws you should be prepared to bet-fold or bet-call.

On a surface this looks like a TP type of a hand that picked up a MONSTER draw on turn.
    Checked hoping to see free card, you bet very weak, he decided to just shove because his hand is "so big"
    9 T makes sense (possibly 8 T )

On other hand people don't usually ship $1000 stack at 1/2 with a draw.
    This is usually the nuts or 2p/set that they are overplaying.
    One caveat to this, sometimes bad players don't even realize their own/your stacks when they shove.

The problem is the board is so so uber wet I don't see a guy checking 2p or str8 on turn.
    That doesn't make any sense to me.

If he has 9 T - 8 T you actually doing pretty well against it (he's only ~35%) because you got blockers and Tx gives you str8.
    I would make my decision based on how this guy usually plays his draws, nut hands, 2p type hands.
    How does he talk about draws?
    Does he ever say "I'm never folding a big draw"?
    Does he ever say "I LOVE these 56s type of hands!" etc?
    Does he ever say "I'm never folding suited Ace preflop for ANY $$$"?
    Does he slow play, does he always overbet protect his 2p type of hands?

All that information needs to be taken into account and I would make decision based on that.
    If he a guy that loves draws and you've seen him overplay draws and shove for huge amounts - you probably have to call.

I thought about it some more and vs. unknown I think I would fold.
    Doubt he has 2p, but JT is possible, most likely J T...
  • beauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    getting lots of conflicting info here:
    UTG+1 who has around $1000 stack and is a passive fish, bets $75.
    if he's truly passive, shouldn't he be checking?
    UTG+1 now checks to me. at this point I realized I must be good.... what should I do?
    if you're good, then why the Q?

when passive players bet, they typically have a nutted hand.
    it doesn't seem like he's got JT - otherwise he'd be betting.
    but it very possible he's got a set or TT... remember, he called the first bet and then the raise.
    should you call?
    it depends.
    if you're good, you should.
    if you're not, then - no.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,004Subscriber
    In position, I'm checking back the turn almost always. He's passive and led into the world on a straightening board. I'm thinking he's pretty strong, probably two pair afraid of a set or straight. If we are ahead, we will have chance to get value on the river.

As played, easy fold to the shove. He's not doing that with T9 or TT, which is about all you beat...
  • nariman44nariman44 Posts: 96Subscriber
    I decided to fold and he showed 9 6
    nariman44 said:
    I decided to fold and he showed 9 6
    Makes perfect sense.
    This is why I bet 300 on turn....